VTTW Board Index
April 30, 2024, 12:46:52 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Has anyone ever felt this much uncertainty about a 3-0 team?  (Read 8179 times)
Creek Walker
« on: September 19, 2016, 06:40:06 EDT »

First time in 12 years we're 3-0, and I think UF beats us by two scores, if I'm being completely honest. I hope to be proven wrong, but not much is going right with this team so far. Execution is an embarrassment, personnel decisions are head-scratchers, and the injuries are frightening.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 06:42:26 EDT »

First time in 12 years we're 3-0, and I think UF beats us by two scores, if I'm being completely honest. I hope to be proven wrong, but not much is going right with this team so far. Execution is an embarrassment, personnel decisions are head-scratchers, and the injuries are frightening.
I don't see it
Even with DelRio their offense sucked.  Without it I'm not sure they can score more than 10 against the defense

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
RockyMtnVol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 06:47:19 EDT »

I don't see it
Even with DelRio their offense sucked.  Without it I'm not sure they can score more than 10 against the defense

I'm not sure their offense needs to score.  Their defense may put up one or two scores off turnovers, and I don't have a lot of confidence in our offense putting up much at all.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 07:45:40 EDT »

I don't understand how a team with so much experience and leadership returning has regressed so much, especially offensively. 
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2016, 07:56:47 EDT »

Several points...

1.  You are way over-inflating UF.  Don't be impressed by a 45-0 victory over UK the week after UK gave up a 20+ lead to WAKE FOREST on their home field.  I saw enough of that game to know that Kentucky didn't actually quit, as they never actually showed up.  Plus, their QB is out.

2.  Our regression is completely over stated.  We were godawful against Appy State, I will grant that, but I don't see a huge step back and actually some progress against Va Tech and Ohio.  Our rush stats in those two games (in which, very importantly, Dobbs was allowed or encouraged to run) are comparable to our last five games last year (mizzou 5-7, kentucky 5-7, Vandy 5-7, N Texas 1-11 and USC jr 3-9 but a 27-24 squeaker).  Rush yards the last two games are about the same as those 5 games.  And against as good or likely better competition.  I think Ohio could play any of the above and likely beat UK, Vandy, N Texas and maybe even USC jr.

Two scores?  Come on.  We dominated them at their place for 3.5 quarters last year, we can do the same again.

The real comparison here is this part of the season to last.  This team has found a way to win.

Now...does that mean I am completely confident we will beat UF?  No.  We can and might lose. 

But beyond the question of a doubt, we should beat them. 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2016, 07:59:24 EDT »

I don't understand how a team with so much experience and leadership returning has regressed so much, especially offensively. 

IMO most of our issues are up front with the OL.....I was watching Sunday College Football Review yesterday on ESPNU. They got to the highlights of our game then they showed a series of plays just focusing on our OL.....It was FLAT pitiful. OL whiffing on blocks....not blocking a soul....getting pushed back 5 yards into our backfield.....and Dobbs getting put on his backside with while our OL is standing looking down at him.

If you can't block up front you are in big trouble. Why this has happened for 3 games is beyond me? Maybe it will improve when we get Hall back?
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2016, 08:07:23 EDT »

IMO most of our issues are up front with the OL.....I was watching Sunday College Football Review yesterday on ESPNU. They got to the highlights of our game then they showed a series of plays just focusing on our OL.....It was FLAT pitiful. OL whiffing on blocks....not blocking a soul....getting pushed back 5 yards into our backfield.....and Dobbs getting put on his backside with while our OL is standing looking down at him.

If you can't block up front you are in big trouble. Why this has happened for 3 games is beyond me? Maybe it will improve when we get Hall back?
communication
I went back and looked at the uga game last year.  When a lineman is passing off a DL last year the other OL was ready, this year not so much.  The left side is not handling stunts very well at all. 

One other interesting thing was that usually both Hall and Jones both made similar errors, often at the same time.  Funny in retrospect.  In reality they played well.  I loved how the commentator gushed over their performance on Josh's last TD run when they really got driven initially by the DL on the play (especially JJ) but they did force the DL inside, where Josh was initially running to ...  Josh stepped to the right, powered through the 2nd level and we won.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2016, 08:16:17 EDT »

Several points...

1.  You are way over-inflating UF.  Don't be impressed by a 45-0 victory over UK the week after UK gave up a 20+ lead to WAKE FOREST on their home field.  I saw enough of that game to know that Kentucky didn't actually quit, as they never actually showed up.  Plus, their QB is out.

2.  Our regression is completely over stated.  We were godawful against Appy State, I will grant that, but I don't see a huge step back and actually some progress against Va Tech and Ohio.  Our rush stats in those two games (in which, very importantly, Dobbs was allowed or encouraged to run) are comparable to our last five games last year (mizzou 5-7, kentucky 5-7, Vandy 5-7, N Texas 1-11 and USC jr 3-9 but a 27-24 squeaker).  Rush yards the last two games are about the same as those 5 games.  And against as good or likely better competition.  I think Ohio could play any of the above and likely beat UK, Vandy, N Texas and maybe even USC jr.

Two scores?  Come on.  We dominated them at their place for 3.5 quarters last year, we can do the same again.

The real comparison here is this part of the season to last.  This team has found a way to win.

Now...does that mean I am completely confident we will beat UF?  No.  We can and might lose.  

But beyond the question of a doubt, we should beat them.  
What's more impressive?.......beating UK by 45 or beating Appy in OT. If Appy had a kicker we would have an L. Miami beat the wheels of Appy.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 08:22:17 EDT by volsboy » Logged

volsboyinsodak
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2016, 10:24:52 EDT »

What's more impressive?.......beating UK by 45 or beating Appy in OT. If Appy had a kicker we would have an L. Miami beat the wheels of Appy.

Reading comprehension is not your strong suit is it?  Read again, and you will find this statement:

We were godawful against Appy State, I will grant that

I guess they don't teach English grammar very well at Troll High School.   

And as far as that goes, UF was tied with UMass until the 4th quarter of that game.  Not much different than our game with Appy IMO. 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Creek Walker
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2016, 02:38:00 EDT »

I'm just not convinced we can score against UF. This is a very good Gator defense, and right now our offense is about where it was when UF visited here in October 2014. A week ago I'd have said UF will also struggle to score against us, especially if you'd told me that Del Rio is out. But with the injuries, we have some serious personnel issues on defense. LBs have gone from a strength to a liability and we're going to severely miss Cam in the secondary.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2016, 03:10:12 EDT »

I'm just not convinced we can score against UF. This is a very good Gator defense, and right now our offense is about where it was when UF visited here in October 2014. A week ago I'd have said UF will also struggle to score against us, especially if you'd told me that Del Rio is out. But with the injuries, we have some serious personnel issues on defense. LBs have gone from a strength to a liability and we're going to severely miss Cam in the secondary.

1st downs will feel like an accomplishment, I'm afraid.  Their DL is going to feast.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2016, 03:53:32 EDT »

We should have won at least 2 of the last 3, but gross mismanagement has precluded us from doing so. We're much better than them this year. We have a shot.

If not, the season goes south and recruiting tanks. It is imperative we get a new AD on the scene very soon, and a great one at that.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2016, 04:03:49 EDT »

We should have won at least 2 of the last 3, but gross mismanagement has precluded us from doing so. We're much better than them this year. We have a shot.

If not, the season goes south and recruiting tanks. It is imperative we get a new AD on the scene very soon, and a great one at that.

We should have won the last two in a row.  Actually I thought we were only slight favorites in 2014, but still should have held on.  Last year, no question...we had the largest advantage since early in the Fulmer years (like 92).  No excuse for the total meltdown. 

I agree that this gator D looks very special.  Leading the country in points allowed and Rush D...but again, who have they played?  UMass, Kentucky and N texas.

GMAFB!   

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2016, 04:15:36 EDT »

We should have won the last two in a row.  Actually I thought we were only slight favorites in 2014, but still should have held on.  Last year, no question...we had the largest advantage since early in the Fulmer years (like 92).  No excuse for the total meltdown. 

I agree that this gator D looks very special.  Leading the country in points allowed and Rush D...but again, who have they played?  UMass, Kentucky and N texas.

GMAFB!   

Slight correction...2nd in country in rush D to Houston at 43 yd/game.

Having said that, I will also point out that UK and N Texas trailed by large margins much of the game, and so did not run that much.

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2016, 04:21:34 EDT »

GMAFB!   

It's really hard to tell about their defense by who they've played....I saw something today that out of 128 D1 teams N. Texas ranks 119 on offense and UMass ranks 128 dead last on total offense....after 3 games KY offense ranks 8th in the SEC.

I was watching ESPNU College Football show this afternoon and the panel of 4 agreed that no team in the SEC East would score many points on the Florida defense and that their defense is probably the best in the SEC.

SEC Offensive Stats Through 3 Games:

NAME TYDS YDS/G
 1. Texas A&M 1592 530.67
 2. Missouri 1580 526.67
 3. Alabama 1432 477.33
 4. Florida 1398 466.00
 5. Auburn 1367 455.67
 6. Ole Miss 1323 441.00
 7. Georgia 1256 418.67
 8. Kentucky 1250 416.67
 9. Arkansas 1167 389.00
 10. Miss St 1137 379.00
 11. Tennessee 1053 351.00
 12. LSU 1020 340.00
 13. South Car 863 287.67
 14. Vanderbilt 861 287.00
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2016, 04:45:29 EDT »

It's really hard to tell about their defense by who they've played....I saw something today that out of 128 D1 teams N. Texas ranks 119 on offense and UMass ranks 128 dead last on total offense....after 3 games KY offense ranks 8th in the SEC.

I was watching ESPNU College Football show this afternoon and the panel of 4 agreed that no team in the SEC East would score many points on the Florida defense and that their defense is probably the best in the SEC.

SEC Offensive Stats Through 3 Games:

NAME TYDS YDS/G
 1. Texas A&M 1592 530.67
 2. Missouri 1580 526.67
 3. Alabama 1432 477.33
 4. Florida 1398 466.00
 5. Auburn 1367 455.67
 6. Ole Miss 1323 441.00
 7. Georgia 1256 418.67
 8. Kentucky 1250 416.67
 9. Arkansas 1167 389.00
 10. Miss St 1137 379.00
 11. Tennessee 1053 351.00
 12. LSU 1020 340.00
 13. South Car 863 287.67
 14. Vanderbilt 861 287.00

Our offensive stats worry me a bit.  I would still say we have played overall...mind you overall, the toughest NC schedule of any SEC team so far. There really were no easy outs on our schedule.  Let me make clear that what happened against Appy State cannot be excused, and that I know we could have played better in the other games, but I expect all three of our early opponents to have winning seasons and go to bowls.

Virginia Tech hammered BC 49-0 Saturday.   

73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2016, 04:49:08 EDT »

And Alabama's defense in NFL caliber according to the talking heads. Ole Miss put a lot of points and yards on them. The thing I was taught about statics is that they do not always reflect truth and reality. Bama won the Ole Miss game on offense and not defense by outscoring them. A kick return TD was the difference.

I think Butch's problem on personnel is based solely on their performance in practice and believing it will transfer to the game. He needs to find game-day players and not practice players. Practice film is lying because DeBord's selections are getting beat up front. JMO of course
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2016, 05:05:33 EDT »

And Alabama's defense in NFL caliber according to the talking heads. Ole Miss put a lot of points and yards on them. The thing I was taught about statics is that they do not always reflect truth and reality. Bama won the Ole Miss game on offense and not defense by outscoring them. A kick return TD was the difference.

I think Butch's problem on personnel is based solely on their performance in practice and believing it will transfer to the game. He needs to find game-day players and not practice players. Practice film is lying because DeBord's selections are getting beat up front. JMO of course

Agree with this 100%. I get tired of this...well so and so practiced well all week so he was rewarded by starting/playing in the game. Good gosh everybody gets a trophy I guess.

I was involved in football for 30 years and fact......many players over those years sucked at practice. But when the lights came on and the crowd was in the stands  and the bands were playing they were some football playing sumbitches.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 05:08:22 EDT by Tnphil » Logged
tshadow
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2016, 09:58:16 EDT »

If I'm hopeful it is based upon what the team did to VaTech.  I rewatched the game thinking... wow they were given the game... well in actuality... though they got five turn overs... they scored on legit long drives on three occasions. For a while it didn't suck. However, those injuries scare me.
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2016, 02:53:53 EDT »

If I'm hopeful it is based upon what the team did to VaTech.  I rewatched the game thinking... wow they were given the game... well in actuality... though they got five turn overs... they scored on legit long drives on three occasions. For a while it didn't suck. However, those injuries scare me.
Kirkland being out is the most worrisome in my mind. I refuse to believe there isn't a better option than Jumper. The kid played decent against Ohio. He still worries me.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: