VTTW Board Index
May 02, 2024, 09:54:37 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I thought recruiting would be Jones saving grace. I have been a huge critic of  (Read 3103 times)
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: November 01, 2016, 11:02:07 EDT »

his x's and 's coaching. But, I figured that if he kept getting good classes, that he could out talent a lot of teams. I still do. But he still has to recruit lights out every year. This was a talented team to start the season.Injuries finished that. Now is where the lack of 4* and 5* depth rears it's ugly head. I know there is a limit to how many key injuries any team can survive. Jones and his whole staff just need to get on the same page and do a coherent game plan on both sides of the ball with what players they have left.. I also didn't think the OL would be as underwhelming as it has performed. I'm still not sure if I really think a coaching change is warranted. It is amazing how great a coach can become with stars playing all over the field. Plus a new coach just sets a program back too far. Look at me sticking up for old Jonesy. Kinda odd to be 5-3 and everyone talking about how bad things are. It's all perspective. Look at Oregon. Someone mentioned that we are a missed kick (Appy) and a dropped hail mary (UGa) away from being 3-5. How many heads would be exploding then?

volsboyinsodak
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 11:28:59 EDT »

Is it February yet?
Good, now sit quetly till then 

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 12:42:13 EDT »

Is it February yet?
Good, now sit quetly till then  
What you mad for? Oh, you ran out of the lipstick you've been putting on the pig for the last 4 years. All joking aside, an SEC coaching job is not designed as an on the job training position. You got to be ready to go from day one. Jones wasn't. Plus he hasn't learned or changed much in 4 years either. But, should he be fired?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 12:45:58 EDT by volsboy » Logged

volsboyinsodak
LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 01:36:17 EDT »

1.  Jones has shown that he can pretty well hold his own in SEC recruiting.
2.  Any coach can look like a genius with the right staff.
3.  UT is a high enough profile and pay competitive to attract high quality staff.
4.  So what it comes down to is:

Can Butch Jones admit to himself that HIS offense is not capable of reaching upper echelon SEC levels, and bring in an offensive staff that is innovative, that adjusts to fit personnel, thats schemes to cover our weaknesses and exploit opponent weaknesses.   He then needs to do what all good delegators do, and get the hell out of the way.   If ego gets in the way, and given his personality I expect it will, then we will be an 8-4/9-3 team (at best) every year.  It will get harder to recruit if we are not competing for division/SEC/national championships, and the cycle self-perpetuates.

Very long way of saying Butch has to become a program manager insteaad of a coach.

My pronouns are:  I, Me, My, and Mine
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2016, 01:52:37 EDT »

What you mad for? Oh, you ran out of the lipstick you've been putting on the pig for the last 4 years. All joking aside, an SEC coaching job is not designed as an on the job training position. You got to be ready to go from day one. Jones wasn't. Plus he hasn't learned or changed much in 4 years either. But, should he be fired?
Troll away
and you will continued to be treated as such

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2016, 06:51:10 EDT »

I have three things to say about coaching changes....

1. Charlie Strong
2. Muschump
3. Kirby Smart (so far)

In the queue...Tom Herman.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2016, 11:53:47 EDT »

I think LousVol nailed it!      
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2016, 01:38:38 EDT »

Recruiting is the lifeblood.....Our recruiting with is subpar. Not going to compete with the top programs in the country recruiting where we are right now.

Butch has said several times referring to the team...."Our identity is now on film"......Butch's coaching is now on film too and it's not real good.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: