VTTW Board Index
April 30, 2024, 07:20:02 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Penn st beats Ohio st, wins the Big 10 but Ohio state  (Read 2892 times)
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« on: December 04, 2016, 07:05:35 EST »

is in the playoffs. Seems fair.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 07:27:44 EST »

Not yet....stay tuned.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 07:56:29 EST »

A season is made up of 12 or 13 games, not just 1.  They're supposed to pick the 4 best teams and did a great job doing it. 

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 08:12:18 EST »

My bad. I thought they would announce this evening. I agree osu should be out. But what's worse is forcing Washington to travel to Atlanta. They should at least make osu the 4th seed.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2016, 08:27:23 EST »

PSU may be more deserving, but that's not the committee's job.  I think Ohio State's better than PSU.   
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2016, 08:59:09 EST »

PSU may be more deserving, but that's not the committee's job.  I think Ohio State's better than PSU.  

Except that in the past they have announced that OOC and conference championships would matter...until they didn't.

Which is my point.  A bunch of humans will state there are guidelines...and then completely ignore them.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 09:05:09 EST by BanditVol » Logged

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2016, 09:04:44 EST »

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2016/12/02/gruen-college-football-playoff-committee-already-sending-a-message/

According to the selection committee protocol, it will be “instructed to place an emphasis on winning conference championships.”

Apparently when it becomes inconvenient, that criterion is discarded.

It's stronger than I thought...it's actually written into their protocol to "place an emphasis" on winning conference championships.  

73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2016, 09:18:14 EST »

Ohio State was going to make the Final Four simply because they are Ohio State and a big name program. The committee did this mostly based on dollar value and the fact Barry Alvarez was on the committee hawking for the Big 10. All the people crying about the BCS and the polls/computer rankings getting it wrong wanted people to make the decision. So you get 12 people selecting teams based on the eye test and stating they wanted 4 "best" teams. Penn State has no beef because they lost to Pitt of all teams. Beat Pitt early then with 1 loss PSU is in over Ohio State. Ohio State got in for one reason alone: people thought they are better because of the eye test and they can beat the snot out of bad teams. If the referees had called OSU game equal with Michigan for penalyies, OSU would have lost. No way should more penalties be called on MeatChickens than the Buckeyes. I thought I was watching a Bama game. Big 10 officials wanted OSU to win because they think OSU is more popular. I believe if you look at the spot in OT on 4th down, the two refs ran in and spotted the ball differently. It was the ref in charge of putting ball down that placed it past the 1st down. Almost every critical call and non-call was made in the favor of Ohio State. But all the media and the selection committee decided the Big 10 was the best this year because all their teams passed the eye test.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: