VTTW Board Index
April 30, 2024, 06:01:08 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: This coaching search started out like a stainless steel chastity belt.  (Read 1943 times)
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: November 28, 2017, 06:38:44 EST »

Information was sealed as tight as a drum. 

Now, it has more like a house made of glass that only has "air" curtains on the windows.  Everything is visible.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 06:48:58 EST »

Currie realizes he has to move fast and include top tier or at least good coaches in the search. He has no choice.

And IMO thats a good thing.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 07:28:47 EST »

Bandit, what gives you hope that Currie can make a good choice on his own? At K-State, his basketball choice has failed miserably after he ran off a Final Four coach. His first choice at football brought almost universal rejection from the fan base, business community, and a lot of boosters. What good will he may have earned after firing the failed Butch experiment has now been squandered and resulted in derision of the powers that be for being downright idiots. He is in a no-win situation here because he has exposed himself to be a tool to some and incompetent to the rest. Currie is damaged goods that cannot be trusted to make decisions on his own and will now need approval from someone other than Davenport. Because I think Davenport has to realize her job is also on the line here.

IMO Currie has no idea how to evaluate what a great coach is and needs to be if the most important evaluation led him to Shicano. It is also obvious that some university employees disagreed and leaked in the the media. One would think that being involved in the Fulmer firing and hiring of Kiffiin would have taught him what not to do. It seems it did not. If his advisory team gave Shicano the highest marks and declared him the best choice, who else did they look at? He also has no clue how to play the social media game.

No what Davenport hired was a Hamilton clone that is destined to fail miserably. I have no faith in Currie to be capable of identifying a great coach let alone being able to hire one now. He does not even have the guts to stand up to public exposure and the boos he will get. If the UTAD signs a great coach, I just do not see him making the final call because he screwed up royally Sunday.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 08:32:25 EST »

Bandit, what gives you hope that Currie can make a good choice on his own? At K-State, his basketball choice has failed miserably after he ran off a Final Four coach. His first choice at football brought almost universal rejection from the fan base, business community, and a lot of boosters. What good will he may have earned after firing the failed Butch experiment has now been squandered and resulted in derision of the powers that be for being downright idiots. He is in a no-win situation here because he has exposed himself to be a tool to some and incompetent to the rest. Currie is damaged goods that cannot be trusted to make decisions on his own and will now need approval from someone other than Davenport. Because I think Davenport has to realize her job is also on the line here.

IMO Currie has no idea how to evaluate what a great coach is and needs to be if the most important evaluation led him to Shicano. It is also obvious that some university employees disagreed and leaked in the the media. One would think that being involved in the Fulmer firing and hiring of Kiffiin would have taught him what not to do. It seems it did not. If his advisory team gave Shicano the highest marks and declared him the best choice, who else did they look at? He also has no clue how to play the social media game.

No what Davenport hired was a Hamilton clone that is destined to fail miserably. I have no faith in Currie to be capable of identifying a great coach let alone being able to hire one now. He does not even have the guts to stand up to public exposure and the boos he will get. If the UTAD signs a great coach, I just do not see him making the final call because he screwed up royally Sunday.

Wow...hello Oliver Twist and Long John Silver!  Write classic English novels much?   

Some points...

1. I keep hearing about the firing of Fulmer and Currie's involvement in that.  Bottom line...that was Hamilton.
2. Hiring Lane Kiffin.  See no. 1.
3. He did lose a good coach at K State in basketball, but that might be on the coach as much as him. 

You certainly do make a lot of solid conclusions and inferences based on what I can only assume are assumptions, as they are very subjective opinions.  "He can't be trusted to make a decision on his own".  Fine.  I can assure you he probably isn't, at this point.  He doesn't know "how to evaluate what a good coaching hire is".  Well, how hard is that anyway?  And he doesn't need to if it's no longer his sole decision.

It's simple really.

1. It doesn't take a genius to make a good coaching hire, believe it or not.  It's not in fact rocket science.
2. He is going to be a lot more careful with his second choice...he has to be.
3. He is going to be more open to outside advice...he has to be.
4.  There are plenty of coaches better than Schiano on the market.
5. Bottom line...it will be hard to do worse than Shiano no matter who the AD is.

Final note...Dooley is still far worse than Schiano, so take 5 with a grain of salt.  Said grain being that Currie now pretty much has to get someone with a better record/resume than Schiano.  And if Schiano is better than Dooley....

Bottom line no. 2....what matters most now is not what happened Sunday, but hiring a good coach.  Shortest path there is to keep riding the Currie horse, even if we just found out he's actually a jackass.  Jackasses can still move pretty quick when properly whipped.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 09:17:36 EST »

And you have to know when to quit beating a dead horse. Or a dead jackass for that matter. In the media storm world of today, facts never get in the way of a Twitter or Facebook story. If the story meets your agenda, you run with it.

Currie was in charge of the team that fired Fulmer at the direction of Hamilton. When you have a boss that says we are going to do this and you have to be in charge of the team, you have the choice of quitting or caring out orders. Yes it was Hamilton that did the firing. But Currie was on the team that looked for a replacement. Hamilton picked Lane though I have heard Currie recommended someone else. But if you want to keep your job and keep climbing the ranks, you be a good soldier and follow orders.

At K-State, it was Currie in his penny-pinching best that told the basketball HC he was not getting a raise or at least the one due and that it would be best to look elsewhere if he could find a better job. So yes Martin left, but it was not his choice when the AD implies I am likely going to fire you next year. So rather than that spectacle, why don't you find another job.  Granted Frank Martin has the reputation of being a difficult personality, but he is a winner. Right or wrong, the fans blamed Currie for Martin leaving.

I never said Currie would not have help this time around. All I am saying is I do not trust him to make a decent choice on his own. I just do not think he can evaluate talent unless he has help and listens. If I take your "genius" statement on its face, I conclude Currie is no genius. Maybe not even a dullard. If he has learned a lesson, it will be that he needs to gain approval of his boss who has to sign off on it. And he needs to let more people see possible candidates to judge potential fan reaction. One more firestorm and the Haslams will step in and both Davenport and Currie will be gone.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 09:30:50 EST »

And you have to know when to quit beating a dead horse. Or a dead jackass for that matter. In the media storm world of today, facts never get in the way of a Twitter or Facebook story. If the story meets your agenda, you run with it.

Currie was in charge of the team that fired Fulmer at the direction of Hamilton. When you have a boss that says we are going to do this and you have to be in charge of the team, you have the choice of quitting or caring out orders. Yes it was Hamilton that did the firing. But Currie was on the team that looked for a replacement. Hamilton picked Lane though I have heard Currie recommended someone else. But if you want to keep your job and keep climbing the ranks, you be a good soldier and follow orders.

At K-State, it was Currie in his penny-pinching best that told the basketball HC he was not getting a raise or at least the one due and that it would be best to look elsewhere if he could find a better job. So yes Martin left, but it was not his choice when the AD implies I am likely going to fire you next year. So rather than that spectacle, why don't you find another job.  Granted Frank Martin has the reputation of being a difficult personality, but he is a winner. Right or wrong, the fans blamed Currie for Martin leaving.

I never said Currie would not have help this time around. All I am saying is I do not trust him to make a decent choice on his own. I just do not think he can evaluate talent unless he has help and listens. If I take your "genius" statement on its face, I conclude Currie is no genius. Maybe not even a dullard. If he has learned a lesson, it will be that he needs to gain approval of his boss who has to sign off on it. And he needs to let more people see possible candidates to judge potential fan reaction. One more firestorm and the Haslams will step in and both Davenport and Currie will be gone.

Bottom line...just because everyone is incensed at him, and rightfully so, and just because it's universally acknowledged that the Schiano hire was a massive "c-ck up" as the English say, doesn't mean Currie can't pick or help pick a better coach the second time around.  I think there is so much luck in coaching hires anyway, that a man blindfolded a throwing darts at a board might do a good job provided that what's on the board is of some minimum standard.

My genius comment was directed towards Currie but also general.  Again, there is so much luck involved in how the hire works out that it may be that the AD doesn't even matter that much.

IMO.

My opinion that we should stick with Currie right now is based on practicalilty, not my amateur status as "AD talent scout".  Forget the man and look at the mission.  We need a coach.  Let him try again.

If he doesn't improve on Schiano, then I will agree that it's totally hopeless.  I hope it doesn't come to that though.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: