VTTW Board Index
April 29, 2024, 04:11:16 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: one more thought on the Florida game  (Read 2857 times)
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: September 29, 2018, 06:10:10 EDT »

Let's just say that we don't have the six turnovers, and they have a few more, and it either goes right down to the wire or we win, and maybe we even win by two TDs.

Well...we would still be the same team with the same issues, but just not have played so careless and sloppy.  And I get that wins build confidence and the kids buy in, making it easier to win in the future, but psychology aside, here is something that occurred to me.

At least now I have seen how truly bad it can be when the "wheels come off", and we not only have a really below average to bad team but also everything that possibly could goes wrong.  

Thus I have no illusions going forward.  what happened against Florida was just about as bad as it could possibly be.

Therefore I have no false hope or overly orange glasses going forward.  This team remains where it was at the end of last season.  At the rock bottom of as bad as Tennessee has ever been.

So from here on out, the chances of improving are incredibly good.  We already shat the bed about as bad as it could be shat.

Odds are....good....that we will play much better from now on, final score aside.  I mean uga may well blow us out by 50 but we still play better than against UF.  Thats HOW BAD it was against Florida.

But odds are....good....that if we play a lot better against uga...say we don't turn the ball over at all and avoid stupid false start penalties (Drew Richmond I am looking at you!), we actually will keep it relatively close.  It's like maybe all the "bad game" toxin is out of the system, they can just relax and play loose and try to have fun cause they really truly have nothing left to lose at this point, and just do and look a lot better.

Notice that I am not predicting we will, or even overly stating how likely it might be. That's because due to the beatdown I am looking through things in non-orange shades now, and staying realistic.

I know this is long and rambling even for me, but let me sum it up:  Having played about as badly as they could against UF, all the pressure is off.  Expectations are zero, they might as well play loose and if they do good things might....just might....happen.  
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 06:13:36 EDT by BanditVol » Logged

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Creek Walker
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2018, 06:48:51 EDT »

Florida blew us out in large part because of turnovers, I agree. But this Florida team is not good. I EXPECT Tennessee to play better against Georgia than against Florida, and I'll be sorely disappointed if that doesn't happen. But I don't expect the game to be close. If I were a betting man, I'd take UGA and the 35 points and not think twice about it.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2018, 04:33:22 EDT »

Got a feeling UGA will have a easier time today than Sherman did on his march to the Sea.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2018, 06:37:59 EDT »

Florida blew us out in large part because of turnovers, I agree. But this Florida team is not good. I EXPECT Tennessee to play better against Georgia than against Florida, and I'll be sorely disappointed if that doesn't happen. But I don't expect the game to be close. If I were a betting man, I'd take UGA and the 35 points and not think twice about it.

I'm not predicting a close game actually, just saying my expectations are so low, that the Vols can't hardly fail to fulfill them.

Here are a few good things that could happen today:

1. A new young star emerges from one of the younger players.  Or even two or three.
2. We hold uga to a punt or turnover way more that we expect to.
3. Offense scores over 20 points.
4. OL plays better than it has so far this season (a very low bar here!).
5.  Our very young defensive backfield plays much better than expected.
6.  We run for over 150 yards (maybe 200).
6.  We beat the spread (not really that big a deal, but since you mentioned the 35 I thought i would throw it in).

Overall looking to build hope for the future, and near future, particularly November. 

But I tell ya, if show significant improvement in just this one game, Auburn is not looking as tough as they did at the beginning of the year.  And we could well keep that one close and build some more momentum.

Just saying after the Florida dumpster fire this team can just relax and work on improving themselves, because they already did about as bad as they can.  Pressure is off.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2018, 07:38:10 EDT »

I just don't see this team challenging the Dawgs offensively even remotely close to what Mizzou did. I hope they prove me wrong.

volsboyinsodak
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2018, 07:46:34 EDT »

Read on TOS that it's been reported that Chryst is starting?
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2018, 07:50:51 EDT »

That would be interesting if so

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2018, 08:19:07 EDT »

If it's not due to lingering effects of a knee injury, I don't get it.  JG is not the problem.   
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2018, 08:37:59 EDT »

same board that a poster said the uga q.v. blew his knee out this week?!

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2018, 08:44:18 EDT »

source was HyMa so take it for what it’s worth

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2018, 08:48:58 EDT »

source was HyMa so take it for what it’s worth

Didn't say where it came from but if it was Hi Yams then it's a 98% chance it's not true.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: