VTTW Board Index
April 29, 2024, 12:32:34 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: South Carolina stats  (Read 1938 times)
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: October 23, 2018, 12:26:47 EDT »

Even though Bentley is projected as a first round NFL pick next year, the South Carolina pass efficiency is only 67th in the country.  Their run game is worse, at 86th.  Our defense is not good, being 71st against the run.  But maybe that's enough against Junior.  Our pass efficiency D is 89th, which is bad, but I almost thought it would be worse after facing Tua.

I think that our D played much better against Fromm and Stidham than they did against Grier.  Bad against Tua, though if Nigel Warrior could catch Tua would have had his first int of the year.  I think Bentley is good, but has struggled a bit this year.  Junior doesn't seem to have much of a run game, so it's going to come down to our D being able to get pressure like we did on Fromm and Stidham.

On the other side of the ledger, Junior is 46th in pass efficiency D and only 89th in run D.  They are in fact the weakest P5 run D we have faced this year.  So maybe we can run on them better than other teams, and our revamped passing offense should be able to hold it's own. Our run offense is only 99th in the country, but their run D appears almost equally bad.  Our pass efficiency offensive rating is 21, by far our best stat in the country.

On paper, we are a good match for them.

I am surprised that muschamp's D is not up to it's usual standards. 

This comparison turned out much better than I thought it would.   

But let me not forget the bottom line stats....Junior is 66th in scoring D and 64th in scoring offense, both very average, while Tennessee is 88th in scoring offense and 89th in scoring D.   Looks like a pretty big advantage for them, but we have played a far tougher schedule.  We did both play uga (and FWIW our game was closer) but then stack bammer, Florida, Auburn and West Virginia against Tamu, Kentucky, Mizzou and Vandy.  Much tougher.

I will be disappointed if we don't at least keep it close.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 12:33:19 EDT »

Even though Bentley is projected as a first round NFL pick next year, the South Carolina pass efficiency is only 67th in the country.  Their run game is worse, at 86th.  Our defense is not good, being 71st against the run.  But maybe that's enough against Junior.  Our pass efficiency D is 89th, which is bad, but I almost thought it would be worse after facing Tua.

I think that our D played much better against Fromm and Stidham than they did against Grier.  Bad against Tua, though if Nigel Warrior could catch Tua would have had his first int of the year.  I think Bentley is good, but has struggled a bit this year.  Junior doesn't seem to have much of a run game, so it's going to come down to our D being able to get pressure like we did on Fromm and Stidham.

On the other side of the ledger, Junior is 46th in pass efficiency D and only 89th in run D.  They are in fact the weakest P5 run D we have faced this year.  So maybe we can run on them better than other teams, and our revamped passing offense should be able to hold it's own. Our run offense is only 99th in the country, but their run D appears almost equally bad.  Our pass efficiency offensive rating is 21, by far our best stat in the country.

On paper, we are a good match for them.

I am surprised that muschamp's D is not up to it's usual standards. 

This comparison turned out much better than I thought it would.   

But let me not forget the bottom line stats....Junior is 66th in scoring D and 64th in scoring offense, both very average, while Tennessee is 88th in scoring offense and 89th in scoring D.   Looks like a pretty big advantage for them, but we have played a far tougher schedule.  We did both play uga (and FWIW our game was closer) but then stack bammer, Florida, Auburn and West Virginia against Tamu, Kentucky, Mizzou and Vandy.  Much tougher.

I will be disappointed if we don't at least keep it close.
I listened to the first half of the SCe game vs KY as I drove to Atlanta after the uga game (the SCe announcers)  Their offense is BAD.  Brentley seemed to be very inaccurate and late with the football.  Their ruining game was absent and Brentley seemed to be under pressure a lot.  KY was running right through their defense and their secondary seemed unable to cover against a the mediocre KY QB.  On one sequesnce their best receiver dropped a sure TD and then Brently under threw the next throw by 10 yards for a pick.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Creek Walker
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 12:45:45 EDT »

Muschamp is a clown of a coach. It's time for UT to stop losing to that guy. Even though he won 9 last year, this game could very well be the pivotal point of his career at South Carolina. Lose this one, and they very likely don't make a bowl game this year, thanks to the Marshall game being canceled. Which means Muschamp is gonna be on the hot seat next year as he tries to break in a new QB. Let's go get this one!
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 01:02:59 EDT »

They are coming off a bye week and I'm sure they did some things to improve like we did in our open day week....And a lot of it depends on if our players are still licking their wounds from the Bama beat down.

USC opened as a 7.5 favorite.
tngamecock
Walk-On

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2018, 01:13:32 EDT »

Muschamp is a clown of a coach. It's time for UT to stop losing to that guy. Even though he won 9 last year, this game could very well be the pivotal point of his career at South Carolina. Lose this one, and they very likely don't make a bowl game this year, thanks to the Marshall game being canceled. Which means Muschamp is gonna be on the hot seat next year as he tries to break in a new QB. Let's go get this one!

SC's QB is a junior.  I can assure you he's not going pro. 
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2018, 03:16:26 EDT »

SC's QB is a junior.  I can assure you he's not going pro. 

Because he would not be drafted?

He was considered a candidate for such in May:

https://247sports.com/Article/NFL-Draft-analysts-pegs-Jake-Bentley-as-2019-first-round-pick-118174141/

Has his performance hurt his prospects?

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
tngamecock
Walk-On

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2018, 07:44:49 EDT »

Because he would not be drafted?

He was considered a candidate for such in May:

https://247sports.com/Article/NFL-Draft-analysts-pegs-Jake-Bentley-as-2019-first-round-pick-118174141/

Has his performance hurt his prospects?

Yes to your first and last questions

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: