VTTW Board Index
June 05, 2024, 11:54:52 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Chattanooga at Tennessee, August 31, 2024, 12:45 p.m. ET, SEC Network. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: It's never easy.....  (Read 2670 times)
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« on: January 03, 2020, 04:46:56 EST »

…...but it's a win.

"Never give up. Never surrender." Cmdr. Peter Quincy Taggart, Galaxy Quest
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2020, 04:50:48 EST »

And I will take it

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2020, 04:55:16 EST »

They ain't easy on this old farts heart.

volsboyinsodak
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2020, 05:12:08 EST »

Felt like I was gonna be up half the night fuming.  Now I'm so amped I'll still be up, lol.
Creek Walker
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2020, 06:31:31 EST »

I’ll take it because it’s a win, and because the team and coaches showed a lot of poise and moxie to get back in it. But, man, our coach still has so much to learn and it’s depressing to think there’s no way we can take a big step forward next season unless Bailey is one of those rare QBs who can step in and make a difference as a freshman.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2020, 07:39:41 EST »

I’ll take it because it’s a win, and because the team and coaches showed a lot of poise and moxie to get back in it. But, man, our coach still has so much to learn and it’s depressing to think there’s no way we can take a big step forward next season unless Bailey is one of those rare QBs who can step in and make a difference as a freshman.

The one issue I have is our QB's didn't look like they've improved over a 13 game season. Maybe that will change. I don't think JG had the ability to improve over what he is right now.
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2020, 01:40:29 EST »

JG is like my golf game. I know that I have the ability to shoot even par or better because I've done it a few times before. JG has the ability to find and hit the open receivers on time and in stride because he's done it before (see the Missouri game). The problem with both of us is that we can't do it with any kind of consistency. Most of the time we both just stink it up.
FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2020, 01:48:23 EST »

some people just can't be trained, so I'm hesitant to put the lack of JG's progression on the coaches. The boneheaded, self centered play on the goal line during the Bama game revealed (to me, at least) that he has some sort of stubborn streak and/or selfishness that makes it hard as hell to be receptive to training.

I was excited when we signed him, he seemed to have a lot of potential, but I'm glad to see him go.

11B4PJ3F7
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2020, 02:19:05 EST »

The pick-6 pass to Jennings was a 5 foot putt breaking slightly right to left that missed 2 feet right. 😰😰😰
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2020, 02:53:28 EST »

Yeah in the heat of the moment during the 3rd qtr when we were all mad at everything, I was thinking "and Pruitt too!" but considering how it ended and now reflecting on the game as a whole... what all can be reasonably laid at the coaches feet?  I was really puzzled at the qb situation too but now looking back, I get it... I mean it's the same story that played out during the season, JG for all his faults is the QB they trust the most.  It is what it is.  I was as mad at JG as anyone but BM scared me to death with multiple throws on the series he was in on.

Defense in the first half was lights out.  Chaney called a pretty good game imo, too.  But all of JG's bad habits showed up until the very end and to me that's where much of the blame lies.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2020, 04:07:50 EST »

Yeah in the heat of the moment during the 3rd qtr when we were all mad at everything, I was thinking "and Pruitt too!" but considering how it ended and now reflecting on the game as a whole... what all can be reasonably laid at the coaches feet?  I was really puzzled at the qb situation too but now looking back, I get it... I mean it's the same story that played out during the season, JG for all his faults is the QB they trust the most.  It is what it is.  I was as mad at JG as anyone but BM scared me to death with multiple throws on the series he was in on.

Defense in the first half was lights out.  Chaney called a pretty good game imo, too.  But all of JG's bad habits showed up until the very end and to me that's where much of the blame lies.

JG has the ability to suck the life out of the team...you can see it. It happened again last night as the game went on. I was hoping as the season went on Maurer would understand he's a freshman and not Brett Favre....he never learned that however and that's the reason JG came back in last night.

Hopefully this off season we can get improvement in our QB play. It's this missing piece right now.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2020, 04:14:39 EST »

JG is one tough cookie. He took a couple of hits that made me cringe. Man, if he could just hit those fades, we would have won comfortably. I still don't know what to make of him. Gotta love him though. Going forward, it will still be tough to compete with the SEC elite with him at QB. Unless the incoming freshman step up, he is still the frontrunner. I expect things to change a lot in that regard before kickoff in Sept. We play OU and UF in Sept. Start out with Charlotte....we catch OU in Norman and UF in Knoxville. Gonna be weird playing UGa in November. On paper, we have a favorable schedule. If we beat the Sooners it could be a great season.

volsboyinsodak
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2020, 08:48:41 EST »

Again I know a lot of frustrating things happened this year but I am encouraged by the "no quit" culture that JP seems to be instilling.  During the last 3/4's of the season, there was a lot of adversity this team faced.  Especially down the stretch there were games where the breaks were going against us to the point where message board experts and Tweeters (myself included) threw there hands up and thought/said "UGH IT'S OVER" but the team kept fighting and won 6 straight against all odds.  Last night especially was like a microcosm of the whole season, with a frustrating start into what we all were writing off as a hopeless situation.  But JP's squad showed no quit and put on more steam.

I don't see how anyone can't be at least someone encouraged of the tangible shift in this aspect of the culture surrounding the program.  I think we all remember very vividly (and would like to forget) the past decade+ of TN teams seemingly finding new ways to lose close ballgames.  Kinda feels like JP is turning that around.
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2020, 10:45:45 EST »

what Vinnie said.

I believe that of all of the problems that Pruitt inherited, the culture may have been the most awful of the lot.

Having coached for over 20 years, I know that losing can become habit forming in a program and that it is very difficult to re-engineer.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: