VTTW Board Index
April 29, 2024, 04:32:20 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A way out of this  (Read 2069 times)
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: October 20, 2020, 11:25:04 EDT »

JG sits, replacement plays really well, we win many of our remaining games, everyone is happy

Could happen.  I know we also have some concerns about the D, particularly our recent pass D, but actually almost sort of looking forward to seeing what will happen without JG starting.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Creek Walker
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2020, 06:01:10 EDT »

As poorly as the O-line has played, as poorly as the DBs have played, I think there's still an opportunity for this team to do nice things. It all hinges on QB play. But Chaney is also going to have to get his head out of his ass.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2020, 06:11:44 EDT »

LOL. We will see. Take off the Orange glasses.

volsboyinsodak
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2020, 09:32:22 EDT »

Maybe I'm still just sore from Saturday, but I frankly don't have much hope.  I just cannot envision a scenario where JG's replacement plays really well... our OL isn't playing worth crap and none of the other QB's are ready, or JG wouldn't still be our "best chance".

A first time head coach always has to figure things out somewhat but he's really screwed the pooch hanging onto JG this long.  Shrout and Mauer are probably lost causes at this point.  What I mean by that is I think we've seen what they are capable of.. they are ok backups that are capable of coming and at least running the offense.  But they are not difference makers.  HB, for various reasons, isn't ready.  And on top of that our OL is a huge disappointment.

After Bama, we are just going to have to pray every week that our QB doesn't get us beat and hope our defense can hang on for dear life long enough for the QB not to somehow screw it up and actually score.  Defensively, teams are going to try to make JG beat them.  Maybe he'll have a couple of nice games where he throws up some jump balls like Auburn last year.  But it doesn't look like our offensive coaching is going to do anything scheme wise to help us, so.. what we've seen is what we are... and it ain't pretty.

After the UGA game, I thought "crap, we're not any better than last year".  Now, I realize we're actually worse somehow.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2020, 10:34:00 EDT »

If you have a 5th year QB screw up then put in a back up QB even if that back up is a screw up that will be here 3 more years and might go from a screw up to a good QB....WE KNOW what we have in JG...we've seen it for going on 4 years and he isn't going to get any better. I knew it 3 1/2 years ago and said/posted we would never win big with him....He does not have it and never has had it.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2020, 03:54:11 EDT »

If you have a 5th year QB screw up then put in a back up QB even if that back up is a screw up that will be here 3 more years and might go from a screw up to a good QB....WE KNOW what we have in JG...we've seen it for going on 4 years and he isn't going to get any better. I knew it 3 1/2 years ago and said/posted we would never win big with him....He does not have it and never has had it.

This is what I'm thinking. JG is so inconsistent. He shows ability at times but can't maintain it. Hes a fifth year senior so at this point there is not much more to say. We absolutely need to move on from him. Like I say elsewhere, he might have survived that first pick but to come back and actually do worse on what was I think hus very next pass is unfathomable and unforgivable.  He has finally screwed the pooch for good. Maybe he can pull a Felipe and play out his last year elsewhere. I do admire his tenacity and gurs but its time to move on.

What Im really saying here is a QB change can revive a team in a hurry. Seen it before plenty of times. Kelly for Hinton, Clausen for whoever he replaced,  etc.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2020, 03:56:12 EDT »

LOL. We will see. Take off the Orange glasses.

This is purely hypothetical, not making any predictions.

You have been whining about QB play for years. Did you suddenly change your mind? Does QB play not matter now?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 02:26:12 EDT by BanditVol » Logged

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2020, 04:48:24 EDT »

This is purely hypothetical, not making any predictions.

You have been whining about QB play for years. Did you suddenly change your mind? Dies QB play not matter now?
Of course it does. What makes you think this staff has a clue about QB play? They still have JG as a starter. So is it really good to throw a newbie in against Bama? But what do they have to lose? He can't do no worse than JG did against KY.

volsboyinsodak
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2020, 10:04:53 EDT »

Of course it does. What makes you think this staff has a clue about QB play? They still have JG as a starter. So is it really good to throw a newbie in against Bama? But what do they have to lose? He can't do no worse than JG did against KY.

Who knows? Maybe Chaney has wanted to try another QB but been talked out of it by Pruitt. More likely is what TnPhil posted elsewhere, is that Harrison and Mauer have been hit by injuries and COVID/quarantine, and haven't gotten many reps.  Which explains why Shrout, which while I respect him, everyone other than his momma probably considers the third    in that trio, played against Kentucky.

Thus my hope is that with a week to prepare either Bailey or Mauer is ready to step up and that this could be a key change that revitilizes our team.  It happens all the time.  Even Brady replaced Drew Bledsoe at midseason.

And you know, volsboy, what does that say about Bellichek?  Brady only played because Bledsoe was injured.  How come Bellichek can't evaluate QB talent?   

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2020, 11:25:18 EDT »

Who knows? Maybe Chaney has wanted to try another QB but been talked out of it by Pruitt. More likely is what TnPhil posted elsewhere, is that Harrison and Mauer have been hit by injuries and COVID/quarantine, and haven't gotten many reps.  Which explains why Shrout, which while I respect him, everyone other than his momma probably considers the third    in that trio, played against Kentucky.

Thus my hope is that with a week to prepare either Bailey or Mauer is ready to step up and that this could be a key change that revitilizes our team.  It happens all the time.  Even Brady replaced Drew Bledsoe at midseason.

And you know, volsboy, what does that say about Bellichek?  Brady only played because Bledsoe was injured.  How come Bellichek can't evaluate QB talent?   
Bailey missed most of fall practice due to contact tracing, really hurt him
Mauer was injured (hamstring) in fall practice.  He is mired on the scout team.  Not sure of his grasp of the system or the confidence the staff has in him with his professed mental issues.  His performance in the Gator Bowl was, lets say, a near disaster
Brent says (several times) that Cheney has no trust in Strout.  Apparently, getting the formation and blocking schemes can be a challenge (his arm isn't in doubt but the brain controlling it is)

Personal opinion is that #2 starts but we see #15 early

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2020, 02:26:42 EDT »

Bailey missed most of fall practice due to contact tracing, really hurt him
Mauer was injured (hamstring) in fall practice.  He is mired on the scout team.  Not sure of his grasp of the system or the confidence the staff has in him with his professed mental issues.  His performance in the Gator Bowl was, lets say, a near disaster
Brent says (several times) that Cheney has no trust in Strout.  Apparently, getting the formation and blocking schemes can be a challenge (his arm isn't in doubt but the brain controlling it is)

Personal opinion is that #2 starts but we see #15 early

Yeah.  Are you actually going to walk out though?   

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2020, 02:30:55 EDT »

Yeah.  Are you actually going to walk out though?   
i will only state to not expect to see my normal in game comments

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: