VTTW Board Index
April 30, 2024, 05:56:30 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: When does basketball season start?  (Read 1877 times)
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: October 25, 2020, 12:03:34 EDT »

Need something to smile about.

volsboyinsodak
Creek Walker
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2020, 04:40:07 EDT »

Who are you kidding? You will be smiling until the first loss, then you'll be complaining about how Rick Barnes is overpaid and can't win the big games.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2020, 04:13:30 EDT »

Nobody knows when it starts at this point.  The "Orlando Bubble" that was supposed to start the season crumbled yesterday. 

It's back to the drawing board to try and put together a schedule. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2020, 04:56:31 EDT »

Who are you kidding? You will be smiling until the first loss, then you'll be complaining about how Rick Barnes is overpaid and can't win the big games.

Well, until he does, isn't it true? Don't you think it's coaching when they are so inconsistent and you don't know which Vol team will show up? I have never called Barnes a bad coach. He is really good. Not quite elite though. Plus he hosed the school to get that paycheck that most others making that kind of money have Natty's to show for it.  Why wouldn't you expect a deep run in the tourney and a final four from time to time from here on out? I could make excuses all day long as to why they lost this game or that game, but the bottom line is they still lost it.

volsboyinsodak
Creek Walker
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2020, 05:39:31 EDT »

Well, until he does, isn't it true? Don't you think it's coaching when they are so inconsistent and you don't know which Vol team will show up? I have never called Barnes a bad coach. He is really good. Not quite elite though. Plus he hosed the school to get that paycheck that most others making that kind of money have Natty's to show for it.  Why wouldn't you expect a deep run in the tourney and a final four from time to time from here on out? I could make excuses all day long as to why they lost this game or that game, but the bottom line is they still lost it.

Inconsistent? Don't know which team will show up? Please. You make it sound like we're talking about a .500 level program here. Look at the program before Barnes arrived in Knoxville. Look at the program now...not just on the court, but recruiting. That's all that needs to be said.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2020, 07:55:43 EDT »

Inconsistent? Don't know which team will show up? Please. You make it sound like we're talking about a .500 level program here. Look at the program before Barnes arrived in Knoxville. Look at the program now...not just on the court, but recruiting. That's all that needs to be said.
I agree that he has turned the program around. But there should be no excuses that his team's should start competing for SEC titles and more routinely. No more playing bad against bad teams and good against good teams. It should be consistent.  I like Barnes and think he can do it. We will see. It all depends on how good or bad you expect the Vols to be each year. They should be good if you believe what you write. He needs to get more intensity in their game each night. This could be an exciting year if the newbies are as advertised.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 08:18:13 EDT by volsboy » Logged

volsboyinsodak
Creek Walker
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2020, 08:24:45 EDT »

I agree that he has turned the program around. But there should be no excuses that his team's should start competing for SEC titles and more routinely. No more playing bad against bad teams and good against good teams. It should be consistent.  I like Barnes and think he can do it. We will see. It all depends on how good or bad you expect the Vols to be each year. They should be good if you believe what you write. He needs to get more intensity in their game each night. This could be an exciting year if the newbies are as advertised.

We're not competing for SEC titles? Two years ago Tennessee lost to Auburn in the SEC Championship Game. Three years ago Tennessee lost to Kentucky in the SEC Championship Game. Making it to Sunday play in the SEC Tournament is literally competing for SEC championships. So in 2 out of the last 3 years, since Barnes got this program established where he wants it, Tennessee has played in the conference tournament championship game. Last year was a rebuilding year by any definition, and the team was still good enough to beat Florida and Kentucky at the end of the regular season before the SEC Tournament wound up canceled due to Covid.

So Tennessee has been in the championship game of the last two SEC tournaments that have been played...yet they're not competing for SEC titles routinely? That's setting an impossibly high bar and/or engaging in revisionist history.
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2020, 01:18:31 EDT »

Need something to smile about.

I smile & laugh everyday. You need sports to make you smile? Get a life! 
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2020, 03:39:35 EDT »

Amen to that. If I've learned anything from this COVID fiasco, it's that a lot of the things that I was way too invested in are nowhere near as important as I was making them out to be. Sports was high on that list. I'm still a huge fan, but it doesn't carry near the weight in my life that it did before the virus.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2020, 03:44:04 EDT »

Amen to that. If I've learned anything from this COVID fiasco, it's that a lot of the things that I was way too invested in are nowhere near as important as I was making them out to be. Sports was high on that list. I'm still a huge fan, but it doesn't carry near the weight in my life that it did before the virus.

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2020, 04:50:22 EDT »

I meant something to smile about regarding Vols athletic teams. It's been awhile since any of them have given us any. What makes me smile is that out of that post , that was your reply.   It should be a fun season anyway. Hope we get through it without Covid throwing a monkey wrench into it.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 05:23:13 EDT by volsboy » Logged

volsboyinsodak
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2020, 06:35:15 EDT »

We're not competing for SEC titles? Two years ago Tennessee lost to Auburn in the SEC Championship Game. Three years ago Tennessee lost to Kentucky in the SEC Championship Game. Making it to Sunday play in the SEC Tournament is literally competing for SEC championships. So in 2 out of the last 3 years, since Barnes got this program established where he wants it, Tennessee has played in the conference tournament championship game. Last year was a rebuilding year by any definition, and the team was still good enough to beat Florida and Kentucky at the end of the regular season before the SEC Tournament wound up canceled due to Covid.

So Tennessee has been in the championship game of the last two SEC tournaments that have been played...yet they're not competing for SEC titles routinely? That's setting an impossibly high bar and/or engaging in revisionist history.

Not to mention we did win a regular season title with Barnes in 2018, and were one game from winning it in  2019.  That fizzle Bruce Pearl cost us two SEC championships in 2019.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: