VTTW Board Index
April 29, 2024, 09:48:14 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So how bad a job did the selection committee do this year?  (Read 972 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: March 29, 2021, 07:02:15 EDT »

You could make pretty sound arguments that this year's tourney featured both the most overachieving AND underachieving conferences ever:

Pac 12
5 Seed

Five teams, four of which made the S16, three of which made the E8 (and the one that didn't lost to another P12 team). If you go by seeding, none of those teams should've made it past the first weekend. Pretty strong.

Big 10
1 Seed

That's NINE teams selected, four of which were top 2 seeds. And only one of them made to the second weekend (Though in their defense, Michigan is looking pretty strong). This is the league that, in the regular season, many were billing as the best and deepest of all time. Oops.

I get it- the lack of interconference play this year made the seeding process a real crapshoot. Still, they should do better than THIS.

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2021, 07:06:03 EDT »

And the B12, who also got some major hype this year, isn’t doing much better than the B10.

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2021, 07:26:06 EDT »

So, you are saying the bigs (who can't count) aren't so big?

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2021, 09:22:09 EDT »

The seeding definitely did not match the results (for the most part).

Bama should have made the elite 8, imo.  They completely crapped the bed yesterday (not that I'm upset about that).

Missed free throws was obviously one of the major reasons, but there some other things that hurt them.  Quinnerly, while he did some good things in the game, had a lot of turnovers that were really bad.  Bama was sloppy with the ball a lot.

I also thought that Oats made a huge mistake when he put the ball in Jones' hands on the next-to-last possession in regulation for Bama.  He's just not a good free throw shooter.  I think you give the ball to Petty every time in that scenario.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2021, 09:39:12 EDT »

UCLA shot 20-25 from the FT line
Bama shot 11-25

Bama lives by either firing the 3 or driving to the rim....They don't hardly ever pull up for mid range shots and that hurt them last night. UCLA was doing a pretty decent job of defending the rim and that's where the pull up shots would have helped.

UCLA almost blew it up 3 with 4 seconds left letting Bama even get in position to hit the 3 to tie the game....With Bama having a way off night at the FT line...foul them and make them make one then miss one.....I thought when it went to OT Bama would win. UCLA did a good job in OT.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2021, 12:04:41 EDT »

I had noticed bammer depending on the drive (mostly quinnerly) and 3 myself, without even trying to scout them.  What is evident is that UCLA did a great job scouting qunnerly, to the the point the announcers commented on it.  He likes to fake a shot then do a quick underhand scoop is one they specifically pointed out.  He got blocked like 3 times attempting that yesterday.  UCLA had him figured out. Coaching does matter!

I am not shedding a tear for the red elephants either but I did have them in the FF, and what's left of my bracket is now a complete wreck.

Oh well.  I only did one because a buddy called me and we filled them out together over the phone as something fun to do.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: