VTTW Board Index
May 02, 2024, 03:54:04 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: #11 is reportedly ...  (Read 6084 times)
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2021, 04:12:57 EDT »

Show me a statistic where he improved.
Missed tackles, far higher
Passes defended far, far worse,
Flat out of position like he had no clue, far higher
Setting the defense in the wrong set, far too often
Other than those he had a great year

I bring receipts, you bring uninformed opinion

His total tackles went from 72 to 79.  His solo tackles went from 33 to 47.  His sacks went from 0.5 to 1.  His int's went from 0 to 1 (which incidentally was only 3 less than the entire DB corps, sadly).

No other non-DB had an int.

He improved in every category and was the team's leading tackler by 13 tackles.  

What are those "receipts" written on?  Ganja smoke?  
« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 08:05:08 EDT by BanditVol » Logged

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2021, 04:25:37 EDT »

https://utsports.com/sports/football/roster

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2021, 04:38:00 EDT »

You know who doesn't care about any of this....UGa, UF and Bama. Heupel doesn't need these type of headaches when trying to get a roster together. We need all the help we can get on D. But if he was serious about transferring, then he doesn't really want to be here. Hope he does well whatever he does.

volsboyinsodak
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2021, 11:01:29 EDT »

Glad Alontae is coming back.  Might be our best guy on D overall at this point. Definitely the best CB (assuming he isn't moved to safety).

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2021, 11:27:08 EDT »

Glad Alontae is coming back.  Might be our best guy on D overall at this point. Definitely the best CB (assuming he isn't moved to safety).
Agreed

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2021, 03:19:25 EDT »

Those are all subjective OPINIONS based on you watching the game.  There are no official statistics for "missed tackles", "flat out of position" and certainly not "setting the defense on the wrong foot" (how can you possibly even pretend to know this?).  Even "passes not defended" is not a stat anyone tracks, at least not with publicly available information.  You can find that stat for NFL players sometimes, but typically only for DBs.  Who knows, it might be out there, but I couldn't find it. I agree this is a weak point for Henry as it is for many LBs, but he was just as bad at it last year.

Every single thing you state is just a subjective opinion.

Its easy to make a star player the whipping boy when the team is not playing well. Apparently you don't realize this is what you are doing.

Bandit

Sorry I must disagree with you.  I watched last year and noticed the Henry was out of position on many of the "slant routes" where the LB is that 'secondary coverage' person that hits the receiver if the CB/Safety whiffs on the tackle or is actually involved in the coverage.  Was this Henry's fault or was this something in the coverage scheme.  I was frankly very "unnerved" that he Pruitt moved the TE Coach over to coach LBs last year.  The regression of the unit as a whole was in Stark contrast to the previous year.  This was a very bad decision to move Neids to the LB coaching arena in my estimation due to chronic failures in many ways at the position (and not just by Henry).   Overall I would have to give the LB corp a D or a low C- last year for their continued missed tackles, missed opportunities and general lack of 'being in the right place at the right time'....I would bet Al Wilson would tell you the same thing because you could tell when he was interviewed a couple of times he seemed to be not commenting on LB play with the team. 

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2021, 03:49:00 EDT »

Why would Pruitt put Neidermeyer as a linebacker coach when he had never coached that position before?

Back in the early fall I read a suggestion on the changes that Pruitt made to his defensive coaching staff last year.  I can't remember where I read it (perhaps it was here, but more likely was a web site or on Volquest).  It was a pretty detailed hypothetical and made some sense to me at the time.

The short version of that suggestion is that Pruitt likely thought that he could coach both the linebackers and the new linebacker coach during spring and summer workouts to get them ready for the season.  As we now know, there were no workouts and both the players and the new LB coach (especially the LB coach) were lost when the season started.

Of course I have no idea whether this was indeed Pruitt's thinking, but it is at least feasible.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2021, 06:12:18 EDT »

Why would Pruitt put Neidermeyer as a linebacker coach when he had never coached that position before?

Back in the early fall I read a suggestion on the changes that Pruitt made to his defensive coaching staff last year.  I can't remember where I read it (perhaps it was here, but more likely was a web site or on Volquest).  It was a pretty detailed hypothetical and made some sense to me at the time.

The short version of that suggestion is that Pruitt likely thought that he could coach both the linebackers and the new linebacker coach during spring and summer workouts to get them ready for the season.  As we now know, there were no workouts and both the players and the new LB coach (especially the LB coach) were lost when the season started.

Of course I have no idea whether this was indeed Pruitt's thinking, but it is at least feasible.

One of the great mysteries of UT football.....Why did he have more coaches on offense than defense and as you said put Neids on defense who had never coached defense and put another one over on defense that had 1 year prior experience on defense and that was at Akron.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2021, 10:50:19 EDT »

Bandit

Sorry I must disagree with you.  I watched last year and noticed the Henry was out of position on many of the "slant routes" where the LB is that 'secondary coverage' person that hits the receiver if the CB/Safety whiffs on the tackle or is actually involved in the coverage.  Was this Henry's fault or was this something in the coverage scheme.  I was frankly very "unnerved" that he Pruitt moved the TE Coach over to coach LBs last year.  The regression of the unit as a whole was in Stark contrast to the previous year.  This was a very bad decision to move Neids to the LB coaching arena in my estimation due to chronic failures in many ways at the position (and not just by Henry).   Overall I would have to give the LB corp a D or a low C- last year for their continued missed tackles, missed opportunities and general lack of 'being in the right place at the right time'....I would bet Al Wilson would tell you the same thing because you could tell when he was interviewed a couple of times he seemed to be not commenting on LB play with the team. 

The point of discussion was not whether he could cover last year. He was awful at it.  The discussion was that Pirate said he REGRESSED.  He didn't.   He sucked at coverage in 2019 and he sucked again last year. 

Yes the entire D played worse last year, but that was a team effort.  As I point out, if you go by actual statistics, Henry played better. 

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2021, 10:50:51 EDT »

One of the great mysteries of UT football.....Why did he have more coaches on offense than defense and as you said put Neids on defense who had never coached defense and put another one over on defense that had 1 year prior experience on defense and that was at Akron.

Just another indication that Pruitt was in over his head as HC

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2021, 11:10:50 EDT »

BTW, after a cup of coffee, Henry T returned to the land of fruits and nuts

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2021, 12:38:29 EDT »

BTW, after a cup of coffee, Henry T returned to the land of fruits and nuts

Hope the coffee wasn't on UT's dime. Hope he's gone for good now. 3 months of drama is enough. If I'd been Heupel when hired I've given him 1 weeks to decide then decided for him.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2021, 04:29:46 EDT »

Don't understand what all of the Gnashing of teeth about him is. 

Did anybody actually watch him play last year?  Decent player, yes, but not the superstar that some are making him out to be.  He's too small to play ILB and not fast enough to play OLB or SS. 

He was back in Knoxville to satisfy requirements of a class he needed and to collect his stuff. 

I have laughed at the talk of his transferring to Bama.  With his having SEC tape now, if Saban were going to offer him he would be at Bama.  Bottom line, he's just not all that.  Time for UT to move on from him and Crouch both. 

I have a feeling he'll end up somewhere on the west coast, Oregon, Cal, or UCLA. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2021, 04:39:17 EDT »

Did anybody actually watch him play last year?  Decent player, yes, but not the superstar that some are making him out to be.  He's too small to play ILB and not fast enough to play OLB or SS. 

He was back in Knoxville to satisfy requirements of a class he needed and to collect his stuff. 

I have laughed at the talk of his transferring to Bama.  With his having SEC tape now, if Saban were going to offer him he would be at Bama.  Bottom line, he's just not all that.  Time for UT to move on from him and Crouch both. 

I have a feeling he'll end up somewhere on the west coast, Oregon, Cal, or UCLA. 
You'll note that the bamer talk got real quiet, real quick
I think his dad got an "awakening" from Saben

The more recent O'cryo state "interest" died quickly as well

I tend to agree with your synopsis

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2021, 06:42:06 EDT »

I think the gnashing of teeth is because he is the best we had--when the sad thing is, he is the best we had.  I agree that he needs to gain about 20-25 pounds of muscle to play inside, and cannot play outside with his lack of speed.  He has starter talent at middle of the road schools, but not elite talent by any measure. 

My pronouns are:  I, Me, My, and Mine
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2021, 11:27:53 EDT »

Based on info out there he is visiting Ohio State this weekend.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2021, 11:30:15 EDT »

I think the gnashing of teeth is because he is the best we had--when the sad thing is, he is the best we had.  I agree that he needs to gain about 20-25 pounds of muscle to play inside, and cannot play outside with his lack of speed.  He has starter talent at middle of the road schools, but not elite talent by any measure. 

Agree that he is not no. 1 draft potential, and maybe not draftable at all.  Having said that, he doesn't just flat suck either.  I'd say he would start at a majority of SEC schools, not just UT.  Probably not at bammer and maybe not at LSU or Uga, but pretty much anywhere else.  IMO.

But if you are meaning to imply that UT is middle of the road, sadly that is true. In fact, if anything it's an overstatement.   

Cobbvol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2021, 02:45:24 EDT »

His chance to continue playing in the SEC is slim at the very best. His "leadership" is looking for non-SEC options after causing him to miss out on winter conditioning and spring practice with any school. 
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: