VTTW Board Index
April 30, 2024, 01:41:35 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LSU just hired Kim Mulkey away from Baylor...  (Read 1549 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: April 26, 2021, 02:05:32 EDT »

I was happy with the progress that KH's team made this season, but she needs to accelerate the process to avoid falling further behind. Other SEC schools aren't taking WBB for granted anymore.

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2021, 02:18:55 EDT »

Yep...Mulkey was making 2.27 million at Baylor....Report I've seen saying LSU paying here close the 2.8.
Creek Walker
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2021, 02:48:04 EDT »

I like Harper and I'm hopeful she can rebuild this program to its former glory. But I didn't like the hire because I felt like Fulmer was just staying in the family rather than going after a proven winner, at a time when the Tennessee women's job was still one of the top 3-4 in the country. LSU's hire is the biggest in CWB in a long time. Are we really to believe that LSU could lure Mulkey away from Baylor but Tennessee couldn't have named its candidate? Water under the bridge, now, of course, but imo just more evidence that Fulmer was in over his head as AD.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2021, 03:10:36 EDT »

Agree CW....Mulkey is from La and played and coached at La Tech back in it's hay day so I guess you could say she's going home....By reports she hasn't been happy at Baylor for the last few years and she would have most likely listened to us before Harper was hired....I see no way UT would have paid that kind a money for a women's BB coach....I'm surprised with all of LSU's legal issues and lawsuits along with investigations that they are willing to pay that much..
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2021, 04:42:22 EDT »

I like Harper and I'm hopeful she can rebuild this program to its former glory. But I didn't like the hire because I felt like Fulmer was just staying in the family rather than going after a proven winner, at a time when the Tennessee women's job was still one of the top 3-4 in the country. LSU's hire is the biggest in CWB in a long time. Are we really to believe that LSU could lure Mulkey away from Baylor but Tennessee couldn't have named its candidate? Water under the bridge, now, of course, but imo just more evidence that Fulmer was in over his head as AD.

I agree, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't Fulmer's decision to make. Sounds like he wanted Walz, but the LV Mafia was determined to keep it "in the family".

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2021, 06:11:50 EDT »

I agree, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't Fulmer's decision to make. Sounds like he wanted Walz, but the LV Mafia was determined to keep it "in the family".

Yep.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2021, 01:34:12 EDT »

Seriously doubt that Mulkey would have left Baylor at the time for Tennessee.  Baylor was a better job then. 

And it's also unlikely that she would have left Baylor for anywhere other than LSU.  She's from Louisiana, her son played baseball at LSU, and she has close ties there. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2021, 07:43:33 EDT »

Yep...Mulkey was making 2.27 million at Baylor....Report I've seen saying LSU paying here close the 2.8.

It was one thing when Saban made the unheard of, at the time, amount of $4M (I think) back in 2007, and that Barnes is making $4.5M.  But a women's BB coach making almost $3M is just jaw dropping.

I'm all for capitalism and rewarding success, but I am concerned our culture is valuing sports way over what it's worth.  
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 03:22:12 EDT by BanditVol » Logged

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2021, 08:13:45 EDT »

Barnes made 4.95 million this season just ended....In 2021-22 season goes to 5.2 million....In 2022-23 season goes to 5.4 million....In 2023-2024 season it goes to 5.75 million.

He gets a $200,000 bonus for making the NCAAT which he did this season......1 million for a final four....$800,000 for a elite eight....$600,000 for a sweet 16....$400,000 for making the 2nd round.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 09:18:37 EDT by Tnphil » Logged
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2021, 10:13:30 EDT »

It was one thing when Saban made the unheard of, at the time, amount of $4M (I think) back in 2007, and that Barnes is making $4.5M.  But a women's BB coach making almost $3M is just draw dropping.

I'm all for capitalism and rewarding success, but I am concerned our culture is valuing sports way over what it's worth.   

I keep saying it but no one is listening to me. That's too much money for any coach anywhere.

But as long as schools are willing to pay it, the salaries will just keep going up. I'm all for capitalism but this does make you question the values of our society.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2021, 12:51:38 EDT »

Last time I checked La was in the last 3 in education in the US right there with Al and Miss. But they sure can pay their coaches.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: