VTTW Board Index
April 29, 2024, 02:28:55 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rumour has it that the game is nearing a sellout  (Read 3674 times)
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: October 11, 2021, 04:58:47 EDT »

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2021, 05:29:24 EDT »

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2021, 05:33:57 EDT »

Maybe less than 1K left?

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

Creek Walker
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2021, 06:41:43 EDT »

There were fewer than 1,700 tickets available through the UT Ticket Office as of midnight. AllVols.com has crashed this morning, which is hopefully a good sign that folks are rushing to snatch up what's left after a good showing against South Carolina.

The cheapest ticket available on Vivid Seats is $87 and there are only 116 tickets left for under $100. This is becoming the hardest ticket to get to a UT game in several years. If the weather forecast clears up, I think we'll see 102,455...and I think it'll be LOUD. Let's hope we don't take ourselves (and the crowd) out of the game early. I'd love to see Lane wallow in misery for about 3.5 long hours.
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2021, 06:47:24 EDT »

That is a little sad, but it is the reality of this present time, I suppose.

I wonder when the last sellout was?

Creek Walker
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2021, 06:52:27 EDT »

That is a little sad, but it is the reality of this present time, I suppose.

I wonder when the last sellout was?

UGA in 2017 was the last sellout. Florida in 2018 was the last time over 100k. Georgia in 2019 was the last time over 90k.

The last one is the hardest to believe. Of course 2020 doesn't count because attendance was limited but Florida and Alabama are the only games we'd have had 90k for last year even if attendance weren't limited. There was a time when it would've been unthinkable for there to be fewer than 90k in Neyland for any game. It's not just us though. I watch games on TV and see thousands of prime seats sitting empty for even major games. There was a large swath of lower level empties for Ole Miss/Arkansas in a game between two ranked opponents.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2021, 07:00:46 EDT »

There were fewer than 1,700 tickets available through the UT Ticket Office as of midnight. AllVols.com has crashed this morning, which is hopefully a good sign that folks are rushing to snatch up what's left after a good showing against South Carolina.

The cheapest ticket available on Vivid Seats is $87 and there are only 116 tickets left for under $100. This is becoming the hardest ticket to get to a UT game in several years. If the weather forecast clears up, I think we'll see 102,455...and I think it'll be LOUD. Let's hope we don't take ourselves (and the crowd) out of the game early. I'd love to see Lane wallow in misery for about 3.5 long hours.
Ditto

I plan to be unable to talk Sunday morning

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

Creek Walker
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2021, 07:23:55 EDT »

It's official. Ole Miss is a sell-out.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2021, 07:39:37 EDT »

It's official. Ole Miss is a sell-out.
Go VOLS!

Already packed the throat lozenges in the game bag

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2021, 07:42:26 EDT »

Heupel in his presser today said UT fans need to make it hard on OM...
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2021, 08:09:14 EDT »

Movement on Twitter to make it a Checker Neyland game.

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2021, 08:10:22 EDT »

Not interested

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2021, 08:19:34 EDT »

UGA in 2017 was the last sellout. Florida in 2018 was the last time over 100k. Georgia in 2019 was the last time over 90k.

The last one is the hardest to believe. Of course 2020 doesn't count because attendance was limited but Florida and Alabama are the only games we'd have had 90k for last year even if attendance weren't limited. There was a time when it would've been unthinkable for there to be fewer than 90k in Neyland for any game. It's not just us though. I watch games on TV and see thousands of prime seats sitting empty for even major games. There was a large swath of lower level empties for Ole Miss/Arkansas in a game between two ranked opponents.

That's a very good point - you see empty seats all over this college football land and it has been going on for years. 

Of course having every game on in HDTV now is the big culprit, but there are other factors, I imagine.  Ticket cost and trip cost for one.  Older fans getting "older" is another while those fans are not being replaced by younger ones. 

And then for us you add on the effect of having your team stink up the joint for a good long while.

It would appear that selling out a season will never happen again.  That is really hard to grasp for me. 

droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2021, 08:24:07 EDT »

No thank you. No more gimmicks.

Some students at tiglet U have tried to start a claw thing. That's where they hold their hands up in the shape of a claw. It looks as stupid as it sounds.

Older fans are resisting. And complaining. We'll see where this ends up.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2021, 08:31:28 EDT »

No thank you. No more gimmicks.

Some students at tiglet U have tried to start a claw thing. That's where they hold their hands up in the shape of a claw. It looks as stupid as it sounds.

Older fans are resisting. And complaining. We'll see where this ends up.
I'm wearing ORANGE, even if they decide to checker Neyland and arbitrarily assign my section as white
Why?
Glad you asked!
Because I don't own any Tennessee white shizzle to wear!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 08:33:04 EDT by PirateVOL » Logged

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2021, 08:32:38 EDT »

I'm wearing ORANGE, even if they decide to checker Neyland and arbitrarily assign my section as white
Why?
Glad you asked!
Because I don't own any Tennessee white shizzle to wear!
BTW, the only checkered game we won was the UF game which is the only time I was in an ORANGE section

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

Creek Walker
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2021, 08:52:07 EDT »

That's a very good point - you see empty seats all over this college football land and it has been going on for years. 

Of course having every game on in HDTV now is the big culprit, but there are other factors, I imagine.  Ticket cost and trip cost for one.  Older fans getting "older" is another while those fans are not being replaced by younger ones. 

And then for us you add on the effect of having your team stink up the joint for a good long while.

It would appear that selling out a season will never happen again.  That is really hard to grasp for me. 

Game availability on HDTV is the easiest scapegoat but I believe it's the ticket cost that's the biggest reason. The skyrocketing coaching salaries and the accompanying arms race have to be paid for somehow. Unfortunately it's the fans who absorb the cost. I remember in the '98 national championship season I got a ticket to the UAB game for $10. Granted, I got to the stadium at the last minute and snatched a single ticket from a scalper on my way in, but that was amid the best season in school history. I don't ever recall paying more than $50 for a ticket in the '90s. Now face-value for upper level south endzone seats is a minimum of $45.

I'm taking my 2 oldest and their friends to this week's game. Six tickets in Section PP Row 14 were over $300 (once the fees were tacked on). I'll pay $20 in gas over. It'll cost the better part of $100 to eat. $20-$30 to park. And $30-$40 for every trip to the concession stand. So $500+ for a single game. The last time I had season tickets was 2011, and I don't imagine I'll ever have them again. It's just unaffordable.

At 42, I still love going to the games, even when we suck. And after hundreds of games over the years, we still make a day out of it. The pageantry and tradition of a college football Saturday can't be beat. But I watch more and more games on TV just because of the cost aspect of it.
Creek Walker
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2021, 08:53:42 EDT »

Btw, with attendance to football games in decline, I'd love to see part of Neyland's renovations include a switch to chairbacks throughout the stadium. It would probably reduce capacity to around 80k or so, which is pretty drastic. And I get the desire to keep capacity above 100k. But a capacity of 100k is pretty meaningless if you can't fill it. We might as well focus on improving the experience for the fans who are gonna shell out big bucks to be there.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2021, 09:08:51 EDT »

Btw, with attendance to football games in decline, I'd love to see part of Neyland's renovations include a switch to chairbacks throughout the stadium. It would probably reduce capacity to around 80k or so, which is pretty drastic. And I get the desire to keep capacity above 100k. But a capacity of 100k is pretty meaningless if you can't fill it. We might as well focus on improving the experience for the fans who are gonna shell out big bucks to be there.
Chair backs is why is changed seats this year
This old body doesn't like sitting in the DAD seats

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2021, 11:07:10 EDT »

It appears that I will blend in because my section Saturday has been designated ORANGE
so there's that

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2021, 12:58:31 EDT »

Game availability on HDTV is the easiest scapegoat but I believe it's the ticket cost that's the biggest reason. The skyrocketing coaching salaries and the accompanying arms race have to be paid for somehow. Unfortunately it's the fans who absorb the cost. I remember in the '98 national championship season I got a ticket to the UAB game for $10. Granted, I got to the stadium at the last minute and snatched a single ticket from a scalper on my way in, but that was amid the best season in school history. I don't ever recall paying more than $50 for a ticket in the '90s. Now face-value for upper level south endzone seats is a minimum of $45.

I'm taking my 2 oldest and their friends to this week's game. Six tickets in Section PP Row 14 were over $300 (once the fees were tacked on). I'll pay $20 in gas over. It'll cost the better part of $100 to eat. $20-$30 to park. And $30-$40 for every trip to the concession stand. So $500+ for a single game. The last time I had season tickets was 2011, and I don't imagine I'll ever have them again. It's just unaffordable.

At 42, I still love going to the games, even when we suck. And after hundreds of games over the years, we still make a day out of it. The pageantry and tradition of a college football Saturday can't be beat. But I watch more and more games on TV just because of the cost aspect of it.

Back in the early 90's a man was sitting behind us where we had season tickets...we had never seen him before. I struck up a conversation with him and come to find out he lived there in Knoxville and purchased a ticket out on the strip.....He said he had been coming to UT football games for 30 years and never had a ticket when he left home....always purchased one on the street and had never paid more than face value....said most of the time he paid less than face value.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2021, 03:07:08 EDT »

RumoUr = worked in England too long 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2021, 03:20:31 EDT »

RumoUr = worked in England too long 
took you a bit to remember, blow a tyre, have to pull into the central median of the dual carriage way to replace it?

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2021, 04:10:25 EDT »

Back in the early 90's a man was sitting behind us where we had season tickets...we had never seen him before. I struck up a conversation with him and come to find out he lived there in Knoxville and purchased a ticket out on the strip.....He said he had been coming to UT football games for 30 years and never had a ticket when he left home....always purchased one on the street and had never paid more than face value....said most of the time he paid less than face value.

Back when I was younger and a whole lot more agile, this is the way I used to operate.  Neyland in the late 80s and early 90s and a few pro venues from DC up to NY.  I remember my buddy and I getting 10th row 1st base dugout seats for game 1 of the Braves Phillies NLCS BITD.  We were sitting right in front of Mitch WIlliams GF/wife!  Yankees, Mets, Jets, Eagles and on down - pretty cheap tix every time.  I have no idea what scalping is like now.  The last time I did it was the Colts @ Ravens NFL playoff game.  We had to pretend to be Ravens fans, of course, but we ended up with face value tix.  I did not think we would be successful that time, but it worked out.

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2021, 06:45:39 EDT »

Back when I was younger and a whole lot more agile, this is the way I used to operate.  Neyland in the late 80s and early 90s and a few pro venues from DC up to NY.  I remember my buddy and I getting 10th row 1st base dugout seats for game 1 of the Braves Phillies NLCS BITD.  We were sitting right in front of Mitch WIlliams GF/wife!  Yankees, Mets, Jets, Eagles and on down - pretty cheap tix every time.  I have no idea what scalping is like now.  The last time I did it was the Colts @ Ravens NFL playoff game.  We had to pretend to be Ravens fans, of course, but we ended up with face value tix.  I did not think we would be successful that time, but it worked out.

IIRC I only purchased tickets on the street in K'ville one time because I had season tickets for several years or prior to that been given tickets....Don't know how it is the past several years but back in the day Tennessee high school football coaches could call the UT ticket office and put your name on the will call list...which I did a few times..

The one time the wife and me bought them on the street we had given away our season tickets due to not being able to go due to a conflict....Friday before the game less than 24 hours before kickoff the conflict was cancelled...we weren't going to ask for our tickets back so we loaded the car and headed East 325 miles.

The tickets I purchased on the street 30 minutes before kickoff..........The UT-Auburn game when AU was ranked No.1 with Bo Jackson....Paid 150.00 for the pair and it was worth every penny..
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 07:06:05 EDT by Tnphil » Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: