VTTW Board Index
March 28, 2024, 02:09:34 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: per reports.....Las Vegas firing Gruden  (Read 5096 times)
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« on: October 12, 2021, 03:16:15 EDT »

LV if true
« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 03:19:28 EDT by Tnphil » Logged
Creek Walker
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2021, 03:42:24 EDT »

Agree. Another nail in the NFL's coffin for me. Not that the NFL will miss me. I haven't watched more than a handful of games since the league became so politicized...and I won't.
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2021, 03:58:28 EDT »

I’m really pissed Gruden did not fight this insane nonsense, but I guess he resigned in order to give his players a decent chance at a successful season. 

Fuccck the NFL and fuccck the hypocrite, sham of propagandists called the news media.

SmokeyJoe
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2021, 04:07:14 EDT »

LV if true

Wait, what? Another "private sector" billionaire caving to social pressure? The Davis boy. What's his name? This is unfair!   
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2021, 04:20:42 EDT »

fizzle Gruden!
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2021, 04:23:30 EDT »

Agree. Another nail in the NFL's coffin for me. Not that the NFL will miss me. I haven't watched more than a handful of games since the league became so politicized...and I won't.

The NFL is the reason we have college football as it exists. Durn y'all!
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2021, 04:28:55 EDT »

In the email, Gruden said NFLPA President DeMaurice Smith had “lips the size of Michelin tires.” Which is considered by many to be a racist trope about black people.
There is no mistake in the racism. Next you people will defend Urban Meyer!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 06:46:22 EDT by SmokeyJoe » Logged
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2021, 04:46:46 EDT »

In the email, Gruden said NFLPA President DeMaurice Smith had “lips the size of Michelin tires.” Which is considered by many to be a racist trope about black people.
Sounds positively Reagan-esque! There is no mistake in the racism. Next you people will defend Urban Meyer!

I’m glad we have mind readers around like you to convict him.  Keep on with your racial (racist) crusade oh Social Justice Warrior!   

Creek Walker
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2021, 05:25:57 EDT »

This one is going to be locked in a hurry. 

I seriously doubt that Jon Gruden is a racist person. He has spent his entire career in a profession that is dominated by black people, and the only evidence we have that he's "a racist" is a single disparaging comment that he made in an email apparently sent in a fit of anger nearly 10 years ago?

People say dumb stuff all the time. Sometimes they mean it, sometimes they're just flying off the handle. Sometimes the things people say is indefensible. And sometimes they say it over and over because they're not nice people. Gruden's comments were indefensible. The problem is that in this era of social justice we've shifted into a mindset that it's okay to destroy someone's livelihood because we disagree with them. Social media has created a vehicle for relentless assault on whichever target the SJWs set their sights on. The end game isn't justice where individual people are concerned. The end game is forcing conformity to a specific set of "societal norms." The problem is who gets to determine what "societal norms" are? Most reasonable people — and I suspect that would include Jon Gruden — can agree that it's not okay to use stereotypes to describe the physical appearance of any race or demographic. And most reasonable people — again, I suspect Gruden is among them — would agree that it's not okay to use offensive slurs to describe gay people. But lest we forget, there have been efforts that are becoming increasingly mainstream to define anyone who supports Donald Trump as a racist/misogynist/homophobe. There are people out there who say you have no business owning a professional sports team if you're a Trump supporter. Or that you have no business in Hollywood if you're a Trump supporter. I'm not a Trump supporter, but is that okay? Hardly.

Gruden should've known better and he deserves repercussions for what he said, even if it was a decade ago. But imagine if this era of social justice had been around in the '90s. There was a rather popular ESPN commentator who stereotyped all of Appalachia when he referred to UT fans' outrage over the Heisman debacle in '97 as "trailer trash." It was a dumb, insensitive thing for Chris Fowler to say. Plenty of UT fans called for ESPN to fire him. They were wrong. Fowler deserved to apologize. He did that. He also needed to broaden his perspective a little bit (no idea if he did that). But he didn't deserve to be fired. Gruden has a lot of fences to mend. Deservedly so. But destroying a man over a point of view, even if it's a point of view that most of us don't espouse? Good grief, what are we becoming?
tshadow
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2021, 06:14:46 EDT »

Yep. It will probably be locked (I'm not a mind reader). I have not watched an NFL game since the league went bonkers. Here is a thought... I wonder how many of those wonderboys vote? I bet it's 50% or less than the population at large.
tshadow
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2021, 06:16:54 EDT »

Ten years ago? Let's investigate everyone and prove what we all already know... none of us is perfect.
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2021, 06:25:03 EDT »

Ten years ago? Let's investigate everyone and prove what we all already know... none of us is perfect.

Somebody is out to get him. Boo hoo! :frownyface:
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2021, 06:32:16 EDT »

I’m glad we have mind readers around like you to convict him.  Keep on with your racial (racist) crusade oh Social Justice Warrior!   

"Social Justice Warrior" lol. Gruden pissed off somebody holding the evidence. Too bad. How sad. Maybe he can come be an analyst at UT now. 
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2021, 06:37:09 EDT »

He resigned btw. Other highly inappropriate emails emerged. You can't represent an organization at that level and pull that shizzle. Ever! Shame on you fragile people.
Creek Walker
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2021, 06:44:10 EDT »

Shame on you fragile people.

Nothing says fragile like supporting the termination and damnation of anyone who says anything you disagree with.
tshadow
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2021, 06:49:38 EDT »

He resigned btw. Other highly inappropriate emails emerged. You can't represent an organization at that level and pull that shizzle. Ever! Shame on you fragile people.
Shame for what? I can promise you if there came a time for me to change my perspective or opinion it would not be to your way of thinking.
tshadow
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2021, 06:58:20 EDT »

Somebody is out to get him. Boo hoo! :frownyface:
I don't know the first thing about What Gruden or Urban is going through. What I have a problem with is prosecuting the unprosecutable. There is such a thing as due process and within due process, there is what is known as the statute of limitations. I know it's folks like you that strain at the gnat and swallow the camel such as when the dems tried to impeach Trump while he was out of office! YES! when your ilk operates in this manner... I have a problem with it.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2021, 04:45:53 EDT »

Don't feel sorry for Gruden. It sucks that he had to resign. But he should have never put stupidity in writing. On the other hand no person of color has ever said anything racist. They have never called us, white boy, honkey, cracker or anything like that. The hypocrisy is embarrassing. I would guarantee Smith has said worse.

volsboyinsodak
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2021, 05:57:58 EDT »

It was a resign or be fired deal....Gruden had 6 years at 10 million per year left on his contract.....would be interesting to know how much of that was worked out.
tshadow
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2021, 06:20:25 EDT »

Don't feel sorry for Gruden. It sucks that he had to resign. But he should have never put stupidity in writing. On the other hand no person of color has ever said anything racist. They have never called us, white boy, honkey, cracker or anything like that. The hypocrisy is embarrassing. I would guarantee Smith has said worse.
When principles are trampled we are all diminished.
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2021, 06:28:40 EDT »

Let me make sure we understand each other. This thread approaches removal as it is.

But outright political discussion debating political parties, elected officials, ideologies or related issues will get the quick boot.

Don't we hear and see enough of that on TV, online and from every person with an opinion? Not here.

Surely we have more pleasant things to talk about. 
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2021, 06:35:28 EDT »

"Social Justice Warrior" lol. Gruden pissed off somebody holding the evidence. Too bad. How sad. Maybe he can come be an analyst at UT now. 

I was thinking the same thing - put Gruden on the staff!  :-)  The reality is too many people would protest the move even if it improbably did happen.  I'd take Gruden on the staff in a heartbeat, but yeah, he would never do that.

As for SJW, I would not be surprised in the least if Gruden had been targeted by this reporter from the NYT who was probably digging around for dirt in order to fire an old whitey coach.  The angle would be that not enough POCs are HCs and we need to take down a white coach.  It might not be the most likely scenario, but it really would not surprise me to learn this "reporter" or "journalist" (LOL) had targeted many other white HFC in the NFL.  It is kinda ironic seeeing how Oakland was the first team to hire a minority coach - Flores and then Art Shell.

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2021, 07:07:21 EDT »

LSU would hire him and not blink a eye....they don't care.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2021, 08:53:20 EDT »

One of my biggest issues is, you still have players collecting big checks whose ACTUAL ACTIONS have done far more damage than a few salty emails.  Yet Grudens prolly gonna be blacklisted from ever doing anything meaningful in the sport again.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2021, 02:53:30 EDT »

I was originally rolling my eyes, but the comment about the lips was out of line.

Then again, it was 10 years ago and done in the heat of the moment.

What I don't know is what else they found.  The original remarks were strictly from emails to the Washington owner.  They stated without giving any examples yesterday that all a lot of Gruden's emails were turned over and there were a lot more comments. I will withhold my judgement until they all come out.

The other thing is that he called Roger Goodell a f--t and a p---y. 

a. I agree with Gruden
b. These words are offensive to be sure, but widely used as insults in the same sense as the f word (IMO)
c. his use of p--y is described as "misogynistic" and f--t as "anti gay".

So p---y is misogynistic?  Bull shizzle.  It's just a playground slur. Same with f--t, though that one is a bit more tied to gays, to be sure. 

I'm wondering how much of it is due to him specifically insulting Goodell.  Maybe Goodell just got his little feelings hurt.   

Seriously though, I'd like to see what else comes out.  If it's a lot more, then maybe it was justified.  But what I mention above is all I have heard of.  Two insulting emails out of 650,000!  If that's all, then I think it speaks for itself as an overreaction

But there may be a lot more.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: