VTTW Board Index
March 28, 2024, 04:26:16 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: per reports.....Las Vegas firing Gruden  (Read 5098 times)
Creek Walker
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2021, 09:04:30 EDT »

So p---y is misogynistic?  Bull shizzle.  It's just a playground slur.

This right here, 100%. I'm not so quick to defend his use of the "F word" because it's highly offensive to gay people...though in reality it's also a playground slur, just one that's even cruder than p*$$y (though that's plenty crude enough). But the idea that using the "P word" to disparage someone is misogynistic is so incredibly stupid. It's sophomoric, but it's not misogynistic.

I also don't think using racially-motivated stereotypes to insult someone — while highly offensive and insensitive and unbecoming for anyone who is even attempting to be professional — is racist. I think we've forgotten what the definition of the word "racist" is.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2021, 04:14:39 EDT »

This right here, 100%. I'm not so quick to defend his use of the "F word" because it's highly offensive to gay people...though in reality it's also a playground slur, just one that's even cruder than p*$$y (though that's plenty crude enough). But the idea that using the "P word" to disparage someone is misogynistic is so incredibly stupid. It's sophomoric, but it's not misogynistic.

I also don't think using racially-motivated stereotypes to insult someone — while highly offensive and insensitive and unbecoming for anyone who is even attempting to be professional — is racist. I think we've forgotten what the definition of the word "racist" is.
His biggest mistake was putting it in writing. That is stupid. But how many minorities haven't used racial and sexist language. Not many.

volsboyinsodak
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2021, 10:09:53 EDT »

I don't know the first thing about What Gruden or Urban is going through. What I have a problem with is prosecuting the unprosecutable. There is such a thing as due process and within due process, there is what is known as the statute of limitations. I know it's folks like you that strain at the gnat and swallow the camel such as when the dems tried to impeach Trump while he was out of office! YES! when your ilk operates in this manner... I have a problem with it.

There isn't a person in the world, in a 10 year, $100 million dollar position of leadership, that wouldn't be fired/forced to resign with this stuff being put in writing. No matter when it happened. Period. Maybe the world has changed. Good! And further, there are no criminal allegations. Employment at will, right?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 05:08:11 EDT by SmokeyJoe » Logged
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2021, 10:11:43 EDT »

Shame for what? I can promise you if there came a time for me to change my perspective or opinion it would not be to your way of thinking.

And I can promise you similarly   
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2021, 10:17:12 EDT »

Having said the above, clearly the league leaned on the Raiders. If I called the Chairman of the Board, in writing, a f****t & p***y, of any organization, I'd be fired. And so would you.  
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 10:32:51 EDT by SmokeyJoe » Logged
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2021, 10:46:11 EDT »

who is being protected and why haven't all the other emails been released...

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/12/football/nfl-jon-gruden-raiders-washington-connection-spt/index.html

"It is truly outrageous that after the NFL's 10-month-long investigation involving hundreds of witnesses and 650,000 documents related to the longtime culture of harassment and abuse at the Washington Football Team, the only person to be held accountable and lose their job is the coach of the Las Vegas Raiders," the attorneys, Lisa Banks and Debra Katz, said in a statement.

"If the NFL felt it appropriate to release these offensive emails from Jon Gruden ... it must also release the findings related to the actual target of that investigation. Our clients and the public at large deserve transparency and accountability. If not, the NFL and Roger Goodell must explain why they appear intent on protecting the Washington Football Team and owner Dan Snyder at all costs."
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2021, 10:56:04 EDT »

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/12/football/nfl-jon-gruden-raiders-washington-connection-spt/index.html

"It is truly outrageous that after the NFL's 10-month-long investigation involving hundreds of witnesses and 650,000 documents related to the longtime culture of harassment and abuse at the Washington Football Team, the only person to be held accountable and lose their job is the coach of the Las Vegas Raiders," the attorneys, Lisa Banks and Debra Katz, said in a statement.

"If the NFL felt it appropriate to release these offensive emails from Jon Gruden ... it must also release the findings related to the actual target of that investigation. Our clients and the public at large deserve transparency and accountability. If not, the NFL and Roger Goodell must explain why they appear intent on protecting the Washington Football Team and owner Dan Snyder at all costs."

Burn it all down. I don't care. Might take longer for Snyder to get rolled.
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2021, 11:08:35 EDT »

Most folks don't know that Marty Feldman was coach of the Raiders in 1961...

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2021, 12:27:59 EDT »

Most folks don't know that Marty Feldman was coach of the Raiders in 1961...

Okay is there a Young Frankestein reference buried in that post. Cause if so, it's over my head.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
tshadow
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2021, 12:29:43 EDT »

Transparency is for government accountability. What's going on now is the difference between prosecution and persecution. Black lists have existed in the private sector for centuries... it's called employment references (or lack thereof). Making this stuff public is over the top piling on. And pandering to the mob.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 12:59:17 EDT by tshadow » Logged
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2021, 12:32:09 EDT »

Great points. I seriously wonder if Goodell just wanted Gruden out, and also can believe what some are saying, is that Gruden is to distract from Snyder, because owners are the sacred cows and coaches are just employees.

650,000 documents and they find two emails.

Now, after going into all of Gruden's emails they apparently found more, but haven't really publicized that as much.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
tshadow
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2021, 12:35:45 EDT »

And I can promise you similarly   
Anyone can see who is careful in their formulation of opinion and who pops-off in their ignorance.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2021, 12:53:04 EDT »

Having said the above, clearly the league leaned on the Raiders. If I called the Chairman of the Board, in writing, a f****t & p***y, of any organization, I'd be fired. And so would you.  

He called him that at a time he wasn't employed by them.

You may or may not be right, but Goodell is not a CEO, not at all. He works for the owners, and is voted in or out by them.  You may think that's simliar to a board, but it's not.  Goodell only has as much power as the owners give him.

Having said that, I really dislike Goodell so I think it's hilarious.   

The other thing is it makes Goodell seem very thin skinned.  Which he likely is.

SmokeyJoe
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2021, 01:05:47 EDT »

You may or may not be right, but Goodell is not a CEO, not at all. He works for the owners, and is voted in or out by them.  You may think that's simliar to a board, but it's not.  Goodell only has as much power as the owners give him.

The other thing is it makes Goodell seem very thin skinned.  Which he likely is.

Seriously, I don't care. Burn it all down. BUT, Goodell is approximate to the COB. Dingbat! ✌🏽
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2021, 01:09:07 EDT »

Why do you dislike Goodell as opposed to any other drizzle in charge?
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2021, 04:26:12 EDT »

Why do you dislike Goodell as opposed to any other drizzle in charge?

Some of the stupid shizzle he's done in the past.  How he handled the Baltimore Ravens guy dragging his lady across the elevator lobby.  Then how he has repeatedly caved to the woke crowd.  Just a coward IMO.

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2021, 04:16:58 EDT »

https://thefederalist.com/2021/10/13/jon-gruden-got-canceled-for-his-private-thoughts-and-you-could-be-next/

"Jon Gruden’s quick forced resignation as coach of the Las Vegas Raiders on Monday is a new level of cancel culture mission creep, and you should care about it, because it’s probably going to happen to you.

Now, as I’ve said before and truly believe, cancel culture is an overused term that is often too vague in its deployment. Properly defined, cancel culture requires someone to be truly “canceled” — meaning that they lose their livelihood and their ability to work in their sphere. That’s probably not true of Gruden, because I believe he’ll eventually be a coach or an NFL commentator again. And that’s one reason why I personally think we should just use cancel culture to talk about situations where normal, non-famous people are targeted and taken down."
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2021, 04:21:33 EDT »

"How does the NFL run a 10-month investigation into the Washington Football Team that concludes “the culture of the club was very toxic” ... yet, essentially, the only individual who has faced any public backlash or consequence is Jon Gruden, who never even worked there?"

https://sports.yahoo.com/the-nfl-denies-leaks-amid-the-jon-gruden-scandal-but-it-said-the-same-thing-about-deflategate-222359279.html
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2021, 05:44:15 EDT »

Yet Urban Meyer is unscathed after putting his hand in the crack of a woman that wasn't his wife on video. Sounds fair. NOT!

volsboyinsodak
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2021, 09:16:09 EDT »

Okay is there a Young Frankestein reference buried in that post. Cause if so, it's over my head.   

but it is true....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Las_Vegas_Raiders_head_coaches

SmokeyJoe
« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2021, 03:32:59 EDT »

Yet Urban Meyer is unscathed after putting his hand in the crack of a woman that wasn't his wife on video. Sounds fair. NOT!

Agree. I wouldn't say he is unscathed. May well be fired at the end of the year. And should be.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2021, 05:05:19 EDT »

Eh.  I do find that pretty reprehensible. But is the woke crowd going to care?  Most of them likely think adultery is fine, that open marriages are the sign of an advanced society and that traditional marriage is for old fogeys.

I don't see the woke crowd going after him. Its more of an image issue for the owner, who might be able to use it as an excuse to let Urban go at a deep discount in the payout if he wants to.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2021, 05:06:35 EDT »

Lol.  I did not know that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marty_Feldman_(American_football)

His 2-15 record was a horror show for sure!

He can be the answer to the trivia question "was there a worse coach of the Raiders than Lane Kiffin (5-15)?"

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: