VTTW Board Index
April 27, 2024, 09:56:09 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fenway Bowl and Military Bowl — canceled due to COVID outbreaks  (Read 1506 times)
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« on: December 26, 2021, 08:03:56 EST »

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-college-football-bowl-games-covid-20211226-oshlyy3gpbdazgjfiummd6yy74-story.html
tshadow
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2021, 11:01:51 EST »

Probably not the end of it.
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2021, 02:40:52 EST »

Miami is out of the Sun Bowl.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2021, 02:52:55 EST »

Miami is out of the Sun Bowl.

Yep

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32943308/miami-sun-bowl-washington-state-due-covid-19-issues-football-program
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2021, 02:58:08 EST »

This is ridiculous. We made it through an entire season with Delta, which we were led to believe was the deadliest thing since Ebola. Now a new variant comes along that is less severe than the common cold (I know, I had it), and we’re shutting everything down. fizzleing clown world.  

Creek Walker
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2021, 04:40:25 EST »

This is ridiculous. We made it through an entire season with Delta, which we were led to believe was the deadliest thing since Ebola. Now a new variant comes along that is less severe than the common cold (I know, I had it), and we’re shutting everything down. fizzleing clown world.  

I'm not in disagreement with you on the ridiculousness of it. But understand that the powers that be would've gladly canceled games over delta, too. The reason we're seeing so many games canceled now is the infectiousness of omicron. It literally infects everyone in its path. However mild it may be for most people, it also may be one of the most easily-transmissible diseases the world has ever known. So it's not just how seriously sick people are getting now...it's the sheer number of people getting sick that's prompting the cancelations. All of that to say that we're going to be seeing a LOT of sporting events canceled and schools closing over the next 6-8 weeks.
RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2021, 05:13:51 EST »

For some people it may not be like a cold --- remember that -- just because you had a mild case, your neighbor may die from it.   Sorry but I'm sick and tired of folks making light of a virus that has already killed over 800K people -- some young and healthy just like you.   If this variant is less deadly -- that will be a f'ing blessing.   

Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2021, 10:12:55 EST »

You have to wonder what will happen as the variants become more and more prevalent and people start getting them multiple times like they do with the cold and flu.  At some point shutting things down will not make sense (maybe we have even got to that point now).  I've said this from the beginning and I think it still is true - there is no hiding from this new virus.  You will be exposed to it eventually.  Also it ain't going anywhere, we won't have any better chance to get rid of it then we do at getting rid of the common cold.  It is here to stay.  Just as the flu kills 10s of thousands every year in this country, covid will kill even more every year, year after year.  This world has been basically given a new version of the common cold, which is more contagious and much more deadly.  It was such a great idea for the US to give China this bug so that they could 'play' with it.  Nice going shizzleheads.  These so called scientist don't know their asses from their elbows.  They say that studying these things in the lab is crucial to developing responses.  That was a great response they came up with, huh?  They don't know their asses from their elbows.  I will say that at least they were able to develop a vax quickly.  Although the vax is certainly problematic, it has saved hundreds of thousands of lives, I imagine.  Now we will need to take these 'boosters' every dang covid season -  at least those who are susceptible, at a minimum.  And we don't even know what the long term effects of these somewhat new design vaccines are....I guess we will eventually find out.  Maybe it is all Signs & Wonders.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2021, 11:55:55 EST »

Coupe I agree with some of what you say...this very well may have been created in China, though that hasn't been definitively proven.

As to why more bowls are being canceled than regular season games, Omicron might be one reason, but I suspect some coaches are quick to pull the trigger because for whatever reason they just don't want to do it.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2021, 12:35:55 EST »

Well, we have two years of data that says shutdowns do more harm than good. Cloth masks are worthless performative theater, and N95s are hard to come by. Omicron has actually been more infectious among the vaccinated. So what are we supposed to do? Keep banging our heads against the wall and hope it works this time?

Last I heard, there had been ONE death worldwide from omicron, and that person had comorbidities. Seems like we could just let this infectious but mild strain work it’s way through the population, everyone gets antibodies, and then maybe we’ll finally have this thing beaten. Because the zero Covid strategy has not and will not work.

Creek Walker
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2021, 12:42:46 EST »

Omicron has actually been more infectious among the vaccinated. So what are we supposed to do?

Last I heard, there had been ONE death worldwide from omicron, and that person had comorbidities.

I think contact tracing and shutdowns should've ended long ago, but these two statements are very much incorrect.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2021, 01:15:09 EST »

Oregon down over 30 players due to transfers....opt outs....and various reasons....started the season with 88 scholly players now down to 57.

Playing Oklahoma in the Alamo Bowl.

https://247sports.com/college/oregon/Article/Oregon-Ducks-Football-179171815/
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2021, 07:01:26 EST »

Oregon down over 30 players due to transfers....opt outs....and various reasons....started the season with 88 scholly players now down to 57.

Playing Oklahoma in the Alamo Bowl.

https://247sports.com/college/oregon/Article/Oregon-Ducks-Football-179171815/

Sounds like us last year, minus the bowl.

Wonder if Oregon had any players worth picking up....
« Last Edit: December 29, 2021, 05:38:30 EST by BanditVol » Logged

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2021, 06:07:57 EST »

For some people it may not be like a cold --- remember that -- just because you had a mild case, your neighbor may die from it.   Sorry but I'm sick and tired of folks making light of a virus that has already killed over 800K people -- some young and healthy just like you.   If this variant is less deadly -- that will be a f'ing blessing.   
You are so right. It effects everyone differently. Like a lot of viruses do.

volsboyinsodak
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2021, 06:22:44 EST »

My opinions:
Covid is here to stay.
The more cases, the more likelihood of mutations.
The more mutations, the more likely there will be more severe versions of the virus.
Eventually we will all be exposed, and likely infected with, the virus.
The vaccine is scientifically safe. If you understand the science behind it, there is very little concern.
The vaccine technology has the potential to change medical science in immeasurable ways - and not just for Covid.
Booster shots of the vaccine are going to be a continuous occurrence.

The question is, how do we return to normal?  I don't know the answer, but I suspect that the 'new normal' will never be what the 'old normal' was.
wtkvol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2021, 10:28:47 EST »

My opinions:
Covid is here to stay.
The more cases, the more likelihood of mutations.
The more mutations, the more likely there will be more severe versions of the virus.
Eventually we will all be exposed, and likely infected with, the virus.
The vaccine is scientifically safe. If you understand the science behind it, there is very little concern.
The vaccine technology has the potential to change medical science in immeasurable ways - and not just for Covid.
Booster shots of the vaccine are going to be a continuous occurrence.

The question is, how do we return to normal?  I don't know the answer, but I suspect that the 'new normal' will never be what the 'old normal' was.

yes we are going to have a new normal.  For the prior 12 years we had any where from 10,000  to 60,000 deaths from the Flu. we  took  some shots and lived with it. without much being said or done. We could get any kind of normal from covid. 100,000 to 200,000 deaths per year? But, there will be some kind of normal and we will live with it.

Human beings  are not nature's favorites. We are merely one of a multitude of species upon which nature l exerts its force.”
― Camille Paglia
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: