VTTW Board Index
March 28, 2024, 08:27:28 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Baseball 101: always ensure you touch home plate in order to score  (Read 1208 times)
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: April 10, 2022, 05:00:03 EDT »

https://twitter.com/NCAABaseball/status/1513153739875569668?s=20&t=arLZH6l8b5Fer0c8CgPAoQ

Mike Honcho's barking after the grand salami is another example, as is the hat and coat after a dinger

This team is a bit arrogant, damn good and doesn't give a damn if you don't like them!

The kind of team (and coach) that you hate if it is another team but love because its your team!

Honcho reacting to his grand salami (BTW, I don't think the ball had left the bat before I said "GONE!"):
https://twitter.com/BeauSternCrock/status/1512965934847303684?s=20&t=arLZH6l8b5Fer0c8CgPAoQ

My view:
https://twitter.com/Mambacita_13/status/1512991845185380355?s=20&t=arLZH6l8b5Fer0c8CgPAoQ
« Last Edit: April 10, 2022, 05:29:12 EDT by PirateVOL » Logged

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2022, 07:19:30 EDT »

I have no problem with having some egos...being brash...being cocky etc when things are going great as long as you can handle the backlash if and when things go South and in sports things can go South pretty quickly. The ole saying...act like you've been there before holds some meaning....I learned young in my like that the toes you step on going up the ladder of success are usually attached to the asses you have to kiss on the way back down.
Creek Walker
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2022, 12:57:23 EDT »

I have no problem with having some egos...being brash...being cocky etc when things are going great as long as you can handle the backlash if and when things go South and in sports things can go South pretty quickly. The ole saying...act like you've been there before holds some meaning....I learned young in my like that the toes you step on going up the ladder of success are usually attached to the asses you have to kiss on the way back down.

Some poor sap got shredded on Twitter last night for saying something to the effect of, "If you're going to be cocky and say it's part of baseball, be prepared to take a fastball to the ear because that's part of baseball, too." VolTwitter (which is nothing but a bully pulpit, frankly) took it out of context and blistered the guy (who was a TN fan) for supposedly calling for a player to be beaned in the ear. Obviously that's not what he was saying at all...he was just predicting that if you act like that, other teams will try to retaliate.

And they will.

I'm okay with it to a point. TV and his guys feed off that sort of stuff and tbh it feels like we're sorta teetering right on that "point." If it was any other team, I'd hate them. Since it's my team, I'm loving it. But, you're right: This team is building up a ton of ill will and if/when things go south, a lot of people are going to pile on. Not just our conference rivals...all of college baseball is going to pile on.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2022, 04:57:29 EDT »

Agree Phil and Creek. It's not my thing, but Pirate is correct they feed off the hate.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2022, 05:31:17 EDT »

Maybe because I'm old, but I am not a big fan of showboat activity. When I coached, I always told players that the only thing that they could really ever do to "hurt" the opposing players was to beat them. No trash taking or antics on the playing field can have the affect that the scoreboard does.

I love watching this team play. As I've said before, I haven't watched baseball since the 90's and I can't stop watching this team. Personally, though, I could do without the theatrics.
Creek Walker
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2022, 05:32:53 EDT »

I love watching this team play. As I've said before, I haven't watched baseball since the 90's and I can't stop watching this team. Personally, though, I could do without the theatrics.

That's exactly how I feel.
VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2022, 05:22:18 EDT »

I see it as them being relaxed and just having fun playing baseball at THE University of Tennessee!        
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2022, 06:54:37 EDT »

For better or worse, the entire sport is moving in this direction, to include MLB. Let them have their fun.

College baseball has up to now been more of a niche sport with very little mainstream coverage other than 2 weeks of the CWS every year. There’s a reason why the Vols are breaking down some of those barriers and attracting more eyes to the sport- and it’s not just because they’re really, really good. It’s also because of their attitude and swagger.

Pick a random year. Let’s say 2007. Off the top of your head, do you know who won the CWS that year? I don’t. But if this team goes on to win it all, EVERYONE will remember them.

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2022, 07:08:03 EDT »

For better or worse, the entire sport is moving in this direction, to include MLB. Let them have their fun.

College baseball has up to now been more of a niche sport with very little mainstream coverage other than 2 weeks of the CWS every year. There’s a reason why the Vols are breaking down some of those barriers and attracting more eyes to the sport- and it’s not just because they’re really, really good. It’s also because of their attitude and swagger.

Pick a random year. Let’s say 2007. Off the top of your head, do you know who won the CWS that year? I don’t. But if this team goes on to win it all, EVERYONE will remember them.

I just looked it up. It was Oregon State. Seen any 30 for 30’s about that team lately?

If these Vols win it, they’ll get one. Hell, they might get one even if they don’t.

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2022, 07:32:15 EDT »

No more than I can remember who won the Superbowl...World Series....College Football or Basketball national championships....or who won The Masters. Hell, I'd say most folks would have to stop and think hard who played in the 4 team college football playoff back in Jan.

Unless you are a fan of the team that won those championships most folks have no clue.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2022, 07:49:55 EDT »

No more than I can remember who won the Superbowl...World Series....College Football or Basketball national championships....or who won The Masters. Hell, I'd say most folks would have to stop and think hard who played in the 4 team college football playoff back in Jan.

Unless you are a fan of the team that won those championships most folks have no clue.

But I’ll bet you know who won the World Series in ‘86. Or the Masters in ‘97. Or the NBA title in ‘91.

Some champions are just more memorable than others.

JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2022, 08:01:04 EDT »

100%

I don't think that it's theatrics that draw most people to watch - but maybe I'm basing that off of my own reality.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2022, 09:23:08 EDT »

100%

I don't think that it's theatrics that draw most people to watch - but maybe I'm basing that off of my own reality.
This team's play is drawing the crowds.  They ARE a damn good team.   

That being said, I do like the swagger of the team.  I do have a daddy hat and if I can find one I'll get a Mike Honcho t-shirt
I don't know if Tony V planned that comment during the in-game interview but it was a master stroke and set off a firestorm within the fan base

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2022, 09:25:41 EDT »

Also, I was tuning in games (via a VPN) whenever I could, given the time zone issues, while I was flying to and in Australia

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: