VTTW Board Index
March 29, 2024, 05:21:03 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Four years ago today  (Read 832 times)
Creek Walker
« on: June 20, 2022, 08:48:30 EDT »

It's just as sad now as it was then. 

https://www.indherald.com/2022/06/20/opinion-john-ward-is-still-beloved-4-years-after-his-death/
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2022, 09:30:24 EDT »

Nice article Ben!

Every summer I randomly pull up audio or video clips of John, just to get psyched for the season if nothing else

I met John once, in of all places, an icy afternoon in Louisville prior to a basketball game.  The gentleman that I had provided my ticket for the game (I was a maybe 20 at the time) introduced me and John spent 4-5 quality minutes with me discussing "me" - many times since I have wished that was the era of smart phones so I could have a video of that small snippet of time of a man who should have been prepping for the game spent speaking to an unknown young man.

Miss him to this day.

BTW, my favorite call is "Phillips running through, around, over and underneath defenders from South Caroline takes the ball all the way home for a miraculous touchdown ..."
If you watch the video of the play it is a perfect description of it.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2022, 11:36:40 EDT »

Very nice write up. Regrettably, I didn't go to UTK, rather UTM. But my family lived in Knoxville as a small child. My Dad took me to games, and between those experiences & listening to John Ward my fate was sealed   The best game I ever attended in person was that 20-13 win over bama in 96. Graham ran right to us in the new stadium expansion in the North end zone. Of course I listened over & over to John Ward's call in the days after. Ward was a gentleman in victory & defeat. Sure he occasionally got excited on the Vols behalf, but would have never done the "Hobnail boot" call. Miss his Game Day calls very much.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2022, 11:38:34 EDT by SmokeyJoe » Logged
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2022, 11:56:48 EDT »

I still get chills just THINKING about some of his calls, let alone hearing them.  Crazy to think that our "fall" on the field coincided with so many different things such as Ward's retirement.  It so many ways, we are left longing for the past.  The winning, turning off the TV audio to listen to Ward....   

But yes, great article by the author (as always).

10EC
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2022, 12:42:04 EDT »

“Play number one”
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2022, 01:16:23 EDT »

“Play number one”
Don't forget the "naked handoff reverse" call for Peyton's bootleg TD for the 3rd TD that night
BTW, I am convinced that only three people knew what was coming: Cut (called it), Fulmer (approved it)and Peyton (performed it)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2022, 02:01:47 EDT by PirateVOL » Logged

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
10EC
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2022, 04:04:14 EDT »

Don't forget the "naked handoff reverse" call for Peyton's bootleg TD for the 3rd TF that night
BTW, I am convinced that only three people knew what was coming: Cut (called it), Fulmer (approved it)and Peyton (performed it)

I taught that play to my son’s 6th grade QB back in the day…..

The corner wasn’t fooled…. :(
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2022, 04:52:43 EDT »

Great stuff..
LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2022, 04:35:41 EDT »

Touches the heart and mind of every Vols fan who has a permanent place for John Ward in their heart and mind.  Beautifully written.  Thank you.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2022, 06:25:21 EDT »

“Play number one”

My number game in person, ever.  Doubt it will ever be topped.

It broke a 7-game winless streak.  I guess if we ever break this current winless streak, that could top it, but something about it being 5 years after graduation, living in the state, and living through all that frustration back then I doubt even breaking the current long streak would be as satisfying.  I'll take it though! 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: