VTTW Board Index
March 28, 2024, 05:18:26 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Someone on another board was comparing this year to 2012  (Read 389 times)
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: September 22, 2022, 12:00:38 EDT »

$*$*$7  please!  No comparison.

The disparity in talent is much greater.

We are higher ranked.

And....you know...DOOLEY is not our coach.

Even more (as if that isn't enough!) Sunseri is not the DC!!!

Some football fans just need to think before they post, I think.

I recall 2012 well, and how Revolver was saying "we fire Dooley if he doesn't beat Florida".  I was more in favor of waiting to the end of the season, but regardless, in 2012 I was *hoping* we would win without being at all confident that we would.  We certainly were capable of beating them (and a whole lot of other teams on our schedule!) that year, but I *never* had any great confidence in any game that year.

This year I do.  It may be misplaced, but there is NO comparison to 2012. None.  And I say this to anyone that thinks there is.  
« Last Edit: September 22, 2022, 12:02:16 EDT by BanditVol » Logged

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2022, 03:08:24 EDT »

Dooley was and is a very good coach - it's just that he had no clue about being a HEAD coach. 

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2022, 04:21:28 EDT »

Dooley was and is a very good coach - it's just that he had no clue about being a HEAD coach. 
He's a great position coach and an average to above average OC. He does know offense really well. 

But yeah, a disaster as an HC. 

Fun fact, when we hired him, he had a losing record. At La Tech.  And...we hired him.  At Tennessee.  This NEVER should have happened!

It likely would have been better for his career also to stay in the G5 a bit longer and get more seasoning, then maybe step up to a program like Houston perhaps.  He had no business being an SEC coach at that point in time. None.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2022, 06:24:46 EDT »

He's a great position coach and an average to above average OC. He does know offense really well. 

But yeah, a disaster as an HC. 

Fun fact, when we hired him, he had a losing record. At La Tech.  And...we hired him.  At Tennessee.  This NEVER should have happened!

It likely would have been better for his career also to stay in the G5 a bit longer and get more seasoning, then maybe step up to a program like Houston perhaps.  He had no business being an SEC coach at that point in time. None.

I think Hamilton panicked when Kiffin left as he did. It is important to have a coach, but the right coach is more important. Did we name an interim? I can't recall.
Creek Walker
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2022, 06:40:53 EDT »

I think Hamilton panicked when Kiffin left as he did. It is important to have a coach, but the right coach is more important. Did we name an interim? I can't recall.

Kippy Brown was the interim. Hamilton's first choice was Will Muschamp, who turned him down forthright. His second pick was David Cutcliffe, who wanted to bring his assistants with him from Duke and that killed the deal. Al Golden and Troy Calhoun were the only names that Hamilton seriously considered, supposedly. Never under-estimate the ego of Mike Hamilton. He considered himself a numbers guy whose greatest strength was improving the bottom line of the athletic program. He could fund-raise like nobody's business, but I believe the lightning he captured in a bottle when he hired Bruce Pearl ruined him. In Pearl he hired a guy who no other major program wanted because of the Deon Thomas incident. When Pearl immediately made the UT basketball program relevant again, Hamilton took pride in the fact that he had revitalized the program with a bargain-bin hire, and he was intent on doing that with his other major hires ... which, of course, was his downfall.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: