VTTW Board Index
April 25, 2024, 03:25:46 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ESPN is gonna catch hell for this…  (Read 537 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: September 24, 2022, 08:39:49 EDT »

…they’re interrupting every game across all their networks (including ABC) whenever Aaron Judge comes to bat.

As if any southern CFB fan gives a shizzle about the Yankees.

Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2022, 11:39:17 EDT »

…they’re interrupting every game across all their networks (including ABC) whenever Aaron Judge comes to bat.

As if any southern CFB fan gives a shizzle about the Yankees.

Back in the 50s about the only team you could listen to on the radio in the rural South was the Yankees and that was the age of Mantle and Maris.   Believe it or not, there are still a ton of 60+yo Yankees fans in the South to this day.  Pretty weird phenomenon - much akin to the Cowboys being "America's team" in the 70s and also the huge popularity of the Cubs and Braves in the 80s due to those "Superstations".

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2022, 11:49:19 EDT »

Back in the 50s about the only team you could listen to on the radio in the rural South was the Yankees and that was the age of Mantle and Maris.   Believe it or not, there are still a ton of 60+yo Yankees fans in the South to this day.  Pretty weird phenomenon - much akin to the Cowboys being "America's team" in the 70s and also the huge popularity of the Cubs and Braves in the 80s due to those "Superstations".

I mean, I'm a Braves fan. And if you interrupt UT vs UF, it had better be for something epic like Hank hitting #715 or I'll raise holy hell. Judge is only trying to set an AL record. I don't. fizzleing. care.

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2022, 02:16:17 EDT »

I mean, I'm a Braves fan. And if you interrupt UT vs UF, it had better be for something epic like Hank hitting #715 or I'll raise holy hell. Judge is only trying to set an AL record. I don't. fizzleing. care.

Yep...My grandfather was a huge Yankees fan....Back in the 50's 60's I go over to his house here in West Tn. and he'd have the Yankees on the radio.....I've been a Cards fan all my life and they were always on here too.
Creek Walker
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2022, 03:41:42 EDT »

I was rooting for him to strike out every damn time he went to bat.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2022, 03:46:53 EDT »

My dad worked on the World Trade center construction. I would go visit in the summer. Met Mantle, Berra and a bunch of others. Also met Earl Monroe and Walt Frazier, all in Mantles restaurant. Never did root for the Yankees much though.

volsboyinsodak
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2022, 04:12:09 EDT »

Yep...My grandfather was a huge Yankees fan....Back in the 50's 60's I go over to his house here in West Tn. and he'd have the Yankees on the radio.....I've been a Cards fan all my life and they were always on here too.

My Dad is STILL a huge Yankees fan.  He's lived in TN all his life and he watches every game he can on TV.  He had 5 bothers, (Only 2 now  ) but 4 of them are/were just as big a Yankees fan as he.  The last year of the old Yankee stadium my sister got them a bunch of tickets for one of the final regular season games.  My cousin and I were fortunate enuff to tag along.  They rented a big passenger van and drove up from E TN.  I drove over to Hagerstown and they picked me up along the way.  Before the game we went to Mickey Mantle's restaurant right by Central Park.  The restaurant was like a freakin' museum of the Bronx bombers of old.  I saw two of my uncles walk by a signed original jersey of Mantle's in a frame and they stopped to look at it and they both started to cry!  I guess my eyes got a little watery seeing that as well.  That's just how deep a feeling they had for those old teams.  I was a Yankees fan when I was very young - because of my Dad, of course - and those were amazing years as well - the Billy Martin years and Bucky Dent hitting that Home Run over the big Green Monster and Chambliss' ALCS series clinching HR and on and on.  I remember crying when the national news reported Thurman Munson's death in that plane crash.  But I guess I grew out of that and became a Braves fan partly because my teenage friends in Memphis were Braves fans and also because all their games were on TBS.  Those cable broadcasts were great to watch.  I loved watching Harry Carey as well.  I guess my Braves fan fate was sealed when I went to Ga Tech for grad school and attended so many games in 89 and 90.  They were terrible, but we had a blast at the games - cheap tix and even cheap beer.  Right after I graduated with my  masters, I started working in DC.  The Braves picked up Deon Sanders, the crowd chopped for him on his first night, and the rest was history.  I came to hate, HATE, the Yankees when they ran off 8 STRAIGHT World Series games vs the Braves.  That pretty much put the Braves teams to rest for a long, long while.  Living in Merryland all these years has also made me a bit of an O's fan.  Too bad the Orioles are coming up a little short this year.  Jeez, their owner really sux ass.  OK, /rant over.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: