VTTW Board Index
March 29, 2024, 10:58:19 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: lots of talk before this game that Banks "is afraid to blitz"  (Read 473 times)
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: September 25, 2022, 04:57:44 EDT »

which is somewhat validated by Danielson saying mid to late fourth that the Vols "finally brought the blitz"

I haven't been paying attention to how many we rush.  Is this justified? Should we be more aggro on the rush?

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2022, 05:01:01 EDT »

which is somewhat validated by Danielson saying mid to late fourth that the Vols "finally brought the blitz"

I haven't been paying attention to how many we rush.  Is this justified? Should we be more aggro on the rush?
Danielson is a dunce
We blitzed far more, far earlier than then

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Creek Walker
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2022, 05:03:20 EDT »

That was the case last year. Then against Pitt we brought lots of pressure, and it was the single biggest difference between winning that game and losing that game. We didn't bring enough pressure against Akron early, but then cranked it up again.

Today, Banks inexplicably went away from the blitz somewhat. We did blitz, but imo not enough because we seldom got pressure on Richardson without blitzing. I felt the defensive game plan was too conservative. Last year we all thought Banks was reluctant to blitz because he had far too many liabilities in the back end and was trying to cover for their shortcomings. I don't doubt that. But UF certainly didn't enter this game with a stellar passing game. However, because we gave Richardson all day to stand back there and throw, he wound up with a career high in terms of yardage...by far.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2022, 05:11:53 EDT »

That was the case last year. Then against Pitt we brought lots of pressure, and it was the single biggest difference between winning that game and losing that game. We didn't bring enough pressure against Akron early, but then cranked it up again.

Today, Banks inexplicably went away from the blitz somewhat. We did blitz, but imo not enough because we seldom got pressure on Richardson without blitzing. I felt the defensive game plan was too conservative. Last year we all thought Banks was reluctant to blitz because he had far too many liabilities in the back end and was trying to cover for their shortcomings. I don't doubt that. But UF certainly didn't enter this game with a stellar passing game. However, because we gave Richardson all day to stand back there and throw, he wound up with a career high in terms of yardage...by far.

CW...this is what I was thinking, and seems likely. I have always preferred to be aggressive on D.  IMO this was the lesson Chavis learned in 1998 vs UF, when we flat out got after that D-bag QB of theirs (Duh-g Johnson I think).  I hope we pin back the ears and go after the LSU guy.

Pirate to your point, I was aware that wasn't the only time we blitzed I had seen a few more. I think Danielson meant "finally blitzed again" and that's how I took it. 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Creek Walker
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2022, 05:16:14 EDT »

I was convinced in the first half today that ugly soft zone coverage was gonna get us beat.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2022, 05:18:18 EDT »

I was convinced in the first half today that ugly soft zone coverage was gonna get us beat.

Danielson was all over it the whole game...it was definitely ugly...hope we go away from it

the scary thing is the thought that man to man might be worse 

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2022, 05:25:37 EDT »

Probably played so much zone to keep AR from beating us with his legs...He damn near beat us with his arm though.
Creek Walker
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2022, 05:32:32 EDT »

Probably played so much zone to keep AR from beating us with his legs...He damn near beat us with his arm though.

We really contained him well on the ground. Our run defense is surprisingly good. It's frustrating to watch him have a career statistical day because he has all day to throw and then the receivers have a soft cushion around them. No doubt our DBs aren't good enough to press or play man coverage but I'd rather get burnt every now and then and be more aggressive.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: