VTTW Board Index
April 27, 2024, 09:31:15 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Florida played pretty much crazy aggressive yesterday  (Read 538 times)
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« on: September 25, 2022, 07:10:52 EDT »

Because they knew they were not going to stop us all day. 6 fourth downs, five of them converted. We stop even one more, the game isn't as close.

FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2022, 07:18:51 EDT »

Because they knew they were not going to stop us all day. 6 fourth downs, five of them converted. We stop even one more, the game isn't as close.

Our first two possessions, had they not stalled, would have buried them and they wouldn't have been in the game at all.

This was one game where I didn't n't doubt that were we're going to win, even at the end. We forced Richardson to make a mistake, and we capitalized

11B4PJ3F7
Creek Walker
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2022, 07:29:48 EDT »

Our first two possessions, had they not stalled, would have buried them and they wouldn't have been in the game at all.

The flip-side of that is that Florida got all the way inside our 30 before we got a stop on 4th & 2 on the first possession, then they missed a field goal on their second possession. We could've very easily been up 14-0 and it would've been lights out, but it could just as easily have been 14-10 or even 14-14.

Florida was very aggressive on both sides of the ball. They were playing like an 11-point underdog has to play to get a win on the road. I thought at times we were playing not to lose; too conservative, particularly on defense. We nearly got ourselves beat in the end when we went ultra-conservative. I'm not saying you just keep the pedal to the metal when you're up 38-27 and it's late in the game, but what I am saying is that Florida didn't have a prayer of stopping our offense...and we were struggling mightily to stop their defense. When Heupel went for it on 4th down rather than kick the field goal, he was saying either he was confident that our defense could stop them, or they didn't have time to complete the comeback if we didn't give them the opportunity to block a FG attempt and return it for a touchdown. I'm not sure why he'd think the former to be true, and we almost proved the latter to be untrue.

I love what Heupel is doing with this program. But IMO he has to develop a killer instinct that so far he just hasn't demonstrated. It has nearly cost us a game we won more than once.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2022, 07:41:54 EDT »

agree. We should have won 45-28

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2022, 08:04:03 EDT »

I’m used to seeing a Spurrier or Meyer go for (and usually convert) the occasional 4th down against us. But to go for it nearly every time from anywhere on the field  just reaks of desperation. It was a real “mid-major with nothing to lose” vibe.

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2022, 12:58:02 EDT »

The flip-side of that is that Florida got all the way inside our 30 before we got a stop on 4th & 2 on the first possession, then they missed a field goal on their second possession. We could've very easily been up 14-0 and it would've been lights out, but it could just as easily have been 14-10 or even 14-14.

Florida was very aggressive on both sides of the ball. They were playing like an 11-point underdog has to play to get a win on the road. I thought at times we were playing not to lose; too conservative, particularly on defense. We nearly got ourselves beat in the end when we went ultra-conservative. I'm not saying you just keep the pedal to the metal when you're up 38-27 and it's late in the game, but what I am saying is that Florida didn't have a prayer of stopping our offense...and we were struggling mightily to stop their defense. When Heupel went for it on 4th down rather than kick the field goal, he was saying either he was confident that our defense could stop them, or they didn't have time to complete the comeback if we didn't give them the opportunity to block a FG attempt and return it for a touchdown. I'm not sure why he'd think the former to be true, and we almost proved the latter to be untrue.

I love what Heupel is doing with this program. But IMO he has to develop a killer instinct that so far he just hasn't demonstrated. It has nearly cost us a game we won more than once.

Agree 100%...When you smell blood you have to go for the jugular. We have got to learn that. We aren't built...don't have the power backs or OL to play 3 yards and a cloud of dust...Throw some safe passes on a rollout...give Hooker a chance for the safe pass or run it. We just aren't built for running between the tackles and control the clock. Never...ever...never should have allowed FLA a chance to win it on the last drive...We can celebrate the big win and also learn from what damn near got us beat.

Our best defense is our offense...let them win it. FL knew they couldn't stop us....And...they knew if their offense did what they are capable of we couldn't stop them either...Both were correct. Right now we are pretty much a Big 12 team....offense and no defense and hope we have 2-3 more possessions than the other team.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2022, 01:13:08 EDT by Tnphil » Logged
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2022, 01:48:21 EDT »

Heupel may not have the killer instinct, or maybe the team will grow into success and get better at it, but the guy that had ZERO killer instinct was Lyle.  He would go into a shell up 14 in the mid-3rd quarter.  At least Heupel didn't tighten up till the very end.  Jones had a bad habit of relaxing anytime we had a lead at all, IMO.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2022, 02:27:26 EDT »

Let me offer this perspective. If Fant (more thoughts in another thread) runs his route two yards deeper we run out the clock and win by 11.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: