VTTW Board Index
April 28, 2024, 09:50:52 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: We're Number 1!  (Read 523 times)
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: November 02, 2022, 01:18:58 EDT »

I'll take it!

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2022, 01:23:21 EDT »

UNREAL
tshadow
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2022, 01:27:48 EDT »

Now let's hold on to it.
Creek Walker
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2022, 01:40:38 EDT »

Several times over the past week I've flashed back to 24 years ago this week: November 7, 1998. It was a nice warm November afternoon and the Vols were scheduled to play UAB on PPV. I decided at the last minute to head to Neyland for the game. I tried to get my brother to go with me but he declined, so I took off alone...something I wouldn't do now, but I was 19 and a lot more froggy than I am now. I whipped into the parking lot at the YMCA on two wheels, literally ran down Cumberland to the intersection with 11th Street, found a scalper and got a ticket for $5, then ran the rest of the way to the stadium without even looking at the ticket. Got inside just as George Bitzas was finishing up the national anthem, and realized I was sitting down on the field in A...right in the middle of the UAB fans.  Nobody was wearing orange around me, but that was fine; the UAB fans were actually very nice. The game itself was unremarkable, but what I really remember is when Bobby Denton announced the final score of the Ohio State/Michigan State game. The Spartans had won 28-24 in a major upset, and the roar that went up from the crowd was the loudest of the evening...so loud, in fact, that Tennessee (which was on offense at the time) was flagged for a false start.

It's hard to believe that it's been 24 years and we're just now back to #1 again.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2022, 01:47:00 EDT »

Several times over the past week I've flashed back to 24 years ago this week: November 7, 1998. It was a nice warm November afternoon and the Vols were scheduled to play UAB on PPV. I decided at the last minute to head to Neyland for the game. I tried to get my brother to go with me but he declined, so I took off alone...something I wouldn't do now, but I was 19 and a lot more froggy than I am now. I whipped into the parking lot at the YMCA on two wheels, literally ran down Cumberland to the intersection with 11th Street, found a scalper and got a ticket for $5, then ran the rest of the way to the stadium without even looking at the ticket. Got inside just as George Bitzas was finishing up the national anthem, and realized I was sitting down on the field in A...right in the middle of the UAB fans.  Nobody was wearing orange around me, but that was fine; the UAB fans were actually very nice. The game itself was unremarkable, but what I really remember is when Bobby Denton announced the final score of the Ohio State/Michigan State game. The Spartans had won 28-24 in a major upset, and the roar that went up from the crowd was the loudest of the evening...so loud, in fact, that Tennessee (which was on offense at the time) was flagged for a false start.

It's hard to believe that it's been 24 years and we're just now back to #1 again.

I remember that moment very well, too.   
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2022, 01:50:49 EDT »

I don't know what will happen Saturday or what the rankings will be at the end of the year. But it sure is nice to see "Tennessee" at the top of the list.   
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2022, 01:59:11 EDT »

It's all house money now.

Apparently Miss State is only initial #1 to miss the playoff. Just play well Saturday.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2022, 02:10:03 EDT »

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: