VTTW Board Index
March 29, 2024, 08:32:55 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just stunning  (Read 942 times)
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: November 20, 2022, 05:05:51 EST »

I don't even know what to say.  Defense exposed big time, Rattler returned to his 2020 form I guess.

I guess I will still take this loss in exchange for the W over bammer, and Florida too for that matter.  Small consolation though. 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Creek Walker
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2022, 05:09:58 EST »

I don't even know what to say.  Defense exposed big time, Rattler returned to his 2020 form I guess.

I guess I will still take this loss in exchange for the W over bammer, and Florida too for that matter.  Small consolation though. 

Once we have all slept on it, we'll look back and realize that this was the first season since '04 that we beat UF and Alabama in the same season. It's painful, but it doesn't define the season. This will go down as a great season for UT football.

But for now it's just indescribable.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2022, 05:12:19 EST »

Agree. The big wins were great, but this stings.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2022, 05:59:08 EST »

Vandy beating FL and KY takes a little shine off it but beating Bama was great....I get that folks are excited about this offense after looking at Pruitts....Butch and Dooley both had some pretty good offenses at times and scored points...We can't stop anyone and it gets no better from season to season...

In 2 season we have beat 1 team that we were not suppose to beat and that was bama this season....The rest we eith lost or beat who we were favored to beat.
Creek Walker
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2022, 06:11:20 EST »

In 2 season we have beat 1 team that we were not suppose to beat and that was bama this season....The rest we eith lost or beat who we were favored to beat.

While that is true, it's also deceiving. If not for the success Heupel has had (I'm too lazy to look it up at the moment, but his UT teams have been remarkable against the spread going into today's game), we wouldn't have been favored to win several of the games we won...Certainly not LSU on the road, probably not Pitt on the road, and maybe not Florida or Kentucky at home this year.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2022, 06:35:48 EST »

While that is true, it's also deceiving. If not for the success Heupel has had (I'm too lazy to look it up at the moment, but his UT teams have been remarkable against the spread going into today's game), we wouldn't have been favored to win several of the games we won...Certainly not LSU on the road, probably not Pitt on the road, and maybe not Florida or Kentucky at home this year.

It's because of his offense and scoring points until it bites us in the butt like UGA and tonight....Can't always rely on your offense winning games...We've also been lucky in some game like Pitt this year...Bama....FL had the ball last to win but failed...It's good to be on that side of the luck some...

USC outscored us after the 1st quarter last season and beat us like a drum tonight from start to finish...Teams are going to learn how to play our offense and if our QB is off it will hurt and you better play defense....Which we have none.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2022, 06:37:57 EST »

but, ,but Kelly won the SECw in his first year. I still think what Huepel has done is more impressive. He inherited a team with a lot less talent than Kelly did.

volsboyinsodak
wtkvol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2022, 03:40:02 EST »

Rattler threw the ball as well as any QB I saw this year. Although we did not play any defense. None. But , you still have to actually throw the ball, accurately. He did
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2022, 05:13:28 EST »

Rattler threw the ball as well as any QB I saw this year. Although we did not play any defense. None. But , you still have to actually throw the ball, accurately. He did

He threw the ball as well as I've ever seen it thrown. We were bad, but he threw several the only place they could thrown & completed. Still, a shocking ass whipping. Their OL was better than I expected & their D got enough stops.
Creek Walker
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2022, 05:43:29 EST »

One thing I'm fairly certain of is that Rattler didn't go from being one of the SEC's biggest disappointments to a Heisman-caliber QB overnight. He had 8 TD passes in 10 games this season, and had 6 against us. He had thrown for 200 yards against one Power 5 team this season, and threw for 400+ against us.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2022, 10:27:53 EST »

One thing I'm fairly certain of is that Rattler didn't go from being one of the SEC's biggest disappointments to a Heisman-caliber QB overnight. He had 8 TD passes in 10 games this season, and had 6 against us. He had thrown for 200 yards against one Power 5 team this season, and threw for 400+ against us.

Agree this is not the entire story.  Also agree this is the best game of his life. I had only a small concern for this game, which I admit elevated slightly when I heard Banks was out. But here were the causes for concern, in rough order of importance.

1. Night road game.
2. It was COLD.  Hurts offense.
3. USC bottom team in SEC, but still solid in some ways.  D good enough to slow us a bit.
4. In addition to 1, Bryce is a tough place to play.
5. Rattler might be ON.  Was good in 2020, might just have it in him.
6. Team might be reading their own press clips (the only reason this is last, is that Heupel teams have NOT had this issue).

Even taking all the above together, my expectation is that they (a) keep it close, or (b) squeeze out an upset. 

Nowhere in my worst nightmares do they score 63 points.  Holy shizzle. 

So yeah, a lot of this is on the D (but I do think the factors above are contributory). 

My biggest thing on D is that we obviously prepared for a run first offense and were slow to respond with adjustments (or did we EVER????).

Anyway...OUCH!

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: