VTTW Board Index
April 20, 2024, 03:41:47 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I think that Ohio State May have been screwed on the 4th down  (Read 538 times)
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: January 01, 2023, 06:55:19 EST »

that was overturned.

According to the NCAA rules:
“When the ball carrier is airborne as they cross the sideline, forward progress is determined by the position of the ball as it crosses the sideline.”

That ball clearly crossed the sideline before the first down marker, I think.
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2023, 07:01:17 EST »

Seemed like it wasn’t enuff evidence to overturn IMO, but I loved the call anyway 

JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2023, 07:09:13 EST »

I hated the call, but even if I had loved it the review process is supposed to get it right.

I thought they’d misinterpreted the rule, so I looked out up. If I knew the rule, why did the OSU coaching staff not raise a stink at review overturning the call?
Creek Walker
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2023, 07:16:03 EST »

The ruling on the field was he was short of the line to gain so in theory there was irrefutable evidence. I agree with JeffCo, they got it wrong. Day argued it but it didn’t do him any good.
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2023, 07:24:38 EST »

I agree, I did not see irrefutable evidence.  I did not seem clear to me from the available video precisely where the ball crossed the plane of the sideline.  If you combine the two shots they had of it - looking straight out to the field from the first down marker & looking straight down the sideline, you could precisely determine position.  However I kinda doubt they have that kind of tech

JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2023, 07:58:02 EST »

Someone on VQ, where I also posted this, suggested that because the receiver’s left hand was on the ground when the ball crossed the sideline that the exception to the rule doesn’t apply. That is a possibility.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2023, 05:18:15 EST »

The palm being down is not down. He held himself up in the air and legs and other parts were off the ground. IMO it was the right call. Now if his elbow or back of his forearm had hit the ground then he was down....Unless you are Memphis State against UT that would have been ruled down 100 out of 100 times if there had been replay back then.  

What amazed me last night was them having a camera right there ground level at the first down marker.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2023, 07:44:19 EST by Tnphil » Logged
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2023, 05:43:51 EST »

The palm being down is not down. He held himself up in the air and legs and other parts were off the ground. IMO it was the right call. Now if his elbow or back of his forearm had hit the ground then he was down....Unless you are Memphis State against UT that would have been rules down 100 out of 100 times if there had been replay back then. 

What amazed me last night was them having a camera right there ground level at the first down marker.
I agree. I now think that they got it right. I, too, am amazed that that camera angle existed.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2023, 12:03:59 EST »

fizzleing uga pulled that one out of their arse.  That and the suckeyes choked.

Oh well.  Go TCU!

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: