VTTW Board Index
April 18, 2024, 11:18:06 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: For those following the Rashada saga and subscribe to the Athletic  (Read 461 times)
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: February 06, 2023, 08:05:57 EST »

https://theathletic.com/4149181/2023/02/06/jaden-rashada-nil/?source=emp_shared_article&access_token=1241840&redirected=1

From $9.5M
To $13.8M
Now Nothing

IMO both the Miami and UF contracts violated NCAA rules
Also, FL collective residence requirement was problematic legally
(I will not state why I think that publicly but have spoken to  some in the business privately)
The FL collective signed a contract that they had not funded (the UF On3 board stated that as well in so many words)

I would love to see how our collective's contract with Nico was structured (though California allows HS level NIL deals - TN now does as well)

This may sound strange but the only publicly honorable thing in this saga was the UF releasing him from his LOI

Full disclosure: I am a member of the Volunteer Club and through it have met several current VOLS and VFLs.  
One of my favorite interactions was with Gerald Riggs at the SC(Jr) tailgate.  He is funny and a great person to talk with.
BTW, if you are a member of the Club and/or a member of VQ I highly recomment watching the weekly Vol Club Confidential
In those you get a weekly update from one of the principals of the collective and a great interview of a player or coach (AP is a great interviewer)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2023, 08:08:23 EST by PirateVOL » Logged

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2023, 11:20:55 EST »

I would think that a residency requirement would be illegal, but I’m no lawyer.

I have wondered what would happen to a player who had an NIL contract for $250K per month, for which he must attend a certain number of event/promotions/whatever. Now let’s say that the player transfers to another team but pledges to continue to be present at the specified number of events each month (I realize that this would likely be a very difficult thing for a player to actually do). So long as he fulfills his obligation, it would seem that the NIL deal would have to be honored. That’s the thing, it can’t be “pay to play”, even though we all know that is exactly what it really is.

I will also add that I have no idea how the contracts are written or how the actual “requirements” for each individual are laid out. I’m simply hypothesizing here. Anyone have any actual knowledge that you would like to share with the group?
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2023, 05:48:02 EST »

I would think that a residency requirement would be illegal, but I’m no lawyer.

I have wondered what would happen to a player who had an NIL contract for $250K per month, for which he must attend a certain number of event/promotions/whatever. Now let’s say that the player transfers to another team but pledges to continue to be present at the specified number of events each month (I realize that this would likely be a very difficult thing for a player to actually do). So long as he fulfills his obligation, it would seem that the NIL deal would have to be honored. That’s the thing, it can’t be “pay to play”, even though we all know that is exactly what it really is.

I will also add that I have no idea how the contracts are written or how the actual “requirements” for each individual are laid out. I’m simply hypothesizing here. Anyone have any actual knowledge that you would like to share with the group?

Not an attorney, but my guess is the contract would be written as "attend event X as a representative of University Y".  It's not "pay to play" but it is "pay for your association with a certain univerisity".  For instance, how could Alontae Taylor get the free cookies for people or whatever without making an int for the Vols? 

IMO it would not be hard to write the contract so that the appearacnce or action or whatever is not possible without being a member of the team of Universty Y. 

Having said that, they can fizzle it up.  Florida has proved that! 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2023, 03:39:43 EST »

Not an attorney, but my guess is the contract would be written as "attend event X as a representative of University Y".  It's not "pay to play" but it is "pay for your association with a certain univerisity".  For instance, how could Alontae Taylor get the free cookies for people or whatever without making an int for the Vols? 

IMO it would not be hard to write the contract so that the appearances or actions or whatever is not possible without being a member of the team of University Y. 

That specific question has been asked and answered similarly

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2023, 06:23:41 EST »

That specific question has been asked and answered similarly

When asked and answered by whom?  Quite a while ago, Droner gave an answer that mine was partially based on.  Droner is, of course, an actual attorney.

What are you referring to specifically?    I am not a mind reader.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2023, 06:48:55 EST »

When asked and answered by whom?  Quite a while ago, Droner gave an answer that mine was partially based on.  Droner is, of course, an actual attorney.

What are you referring to specifically?    I am not a mind reader.   
In reference to the VC

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: