VTTW Board Index
April 29, 2024, 11:55:53 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Up and down team......  (Read 705 times)
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« on: March 04, 2023, 10:12:02 EST »

Down today. 
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2023, 11:19:17 EST »

Barnes teams have finished the regular season outside the top 20 in offensive efficiency 14 out of the last 15 seasons. That 1 year Barnes team made it to the Sweet 16.

It must be a rule at UT....No men or Women's basketball team can be worth a sheet at offense.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2023, 11:27:47 EST »

I just got home. I told some AU folks at halftime that it was coaching malpractice not to pressure the ball against this team with ZZ out. I guess Bruce heard me. Because they did just that in the 2nd half, and we saw the result. We’ll be seeing a lot more of that from here on out. I think one win in the Dance is probably the ceiling for this team.

I wish our teams played at AU more often. That’s such an easy trip for me, and they’ve really got their Gameday parking and traffic flow figured out.

droner
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2023, 01:15:53 EST »

I just got home. I told some AU folks at halftime that it was coaching malpractice not to pressure the ball against this team with ZZ out. I guess Bruce heard me. Because they did just that in the 2nd half, and we saw the result. We’ll be seeing a lot more of that from here on out. I think one win in the Dance is probably the ceiling for this team.

I wish our teams played at AU more often. That’s such an easy trip for me, and they’ve really got their Gameday parking and traffic flow figured out.

Are you tall and thin? They showed this one UT fan in the midst of only AU fans. He wasn't having a good time.
droner
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2023, 01:20:15 EST »

Is this you? https://twitter.com/i/status/1632125682838048769
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2023, 01:26:27 EST »

LOL, no. I was in the standing room section at the very top of the arena (which is still closer to the court than the top of the 100 level in TBA). There were a few UT fans, but nothing like the last game I went to there- in the last Grant&Admiral season, we were probably 25% of the crowd.

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2023, 03:00:13 EST »

UT DID NOT score a basket from the field in the last 6:32 of the game. 

https://www.rockytopinsider.com/2023/03/04/auburn-dominates-winning-time-as-tennessees-late-game-struggles-continue/
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2023, 10:19:58 EST »

In this day and age of the game being about shooting three's, why doesn't Barnes recruit some three point shooters? His teams are usually pretty dang good defensively. His teams disprove the adage "defense wins championships" seemingly every year. Hope someone gets hot on the offensive end of the court.

volsboyinsodak
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2023, 04:26:34 EST »

In this day and age of the game being about shooting three's, why doesn't Barnes recruit some three point shooters? His teams are usually pretty dang good defensively. His teams disprove the adage "defense wins championships" seemingly every year. Hope someone gets hot on the offensive end of the court.

I think that adage is more applicable to football than basketball. You can find examples to the contrary.  Bobby Knight was known for defense, but I think scoring just matter more in basketball.  I don't have any stats to back that up, but just a hunch from watching both over the years.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2023, 08:29:19 EST »

I think that adage is more applicable to football than basketball. You can find examples to the contrary.  Bobby Knight was known for defense, but I think scoring just matter more in basketball.  I don't have any stats to back that up, but just a hunch from watching both over the years.
You're probably right. I do remember those Nolan Richardson Arkansas teams. 40 minutes of hell he called his style. They had some shooters as well. But they emphasized the defense. How does Barnes end up with all these guys that can't shoot?

volsboyinsodak
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2023, 05:36:42 EST »

You're probably right. I do remember those Nolan Richardson Arkansas teams. 40 minutes of hell he called his style. They had some shooters as well. But they emphasized the defense. How does Barnes end up with all these guys that can't shoot?

JJJ has been shooting well, even in this recent loss.  Vescovi does well also. Other than that, not sure who our 3 point shooters are.  But as is often observed, we don't seem to have a go to guy in the paint and tend to rely on on outside shooting too much, which is very streaky as is well known.

Plasic just maybe isn't as much the force inside as he should be.  What we need is another Grant Williams.  We scored reliably when he was here, but since then we just don't have that capability it seems.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: