VTTW Board Index
April 25, 2024, 12:39:41 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: It sounds like bammer, Vandy, and SC…  (Read 371 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: March 09, 2023, 07:20:42 EST »

…will be our three permanent opponents when the new FB schedules come out.

There’s been a lot of hand-wringing over these opponents, particularly from Saban (who would presumably get UT, AU, and LSU). But does it really matter? Other than preserving traditional rivalries, I really don’t see how the permanent opponents make much of a difference. The rest of the SEC is going to rotate on to your schedule every other year.  These schedules are going to be murderous for everyone, and there’s really no hiding from it (thoughts and prayers to UGA, who has consistently had the easiest schedules in the SEC for over a decade). Even if you were to draw the 3 weakest opponents possible on a yearly basis, that just means that more tough opponents are going to rotate your way every other year. Conversely, bammer (who is admittedly getting a tough draw), will get the likes of Vandy, Missou, UK, and the MS schools rotating on every other year.

So really, who cares? Saban and company should stop their whining.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2023, 07:47:36 EST by Black Diamond Vol » Logged

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2023, 07:40:10 EST »

…will be our three permanent opponents when the new FB schedules come out.

There’s been a lot of hand-wringing over these opponents, particularly from Saban (who would presumably get UT, AU, and LSU). But does it really matter? Other than preserving traditional rivalries, I really don’t see how the permanent opponents make much of a difference. The rest of the SEC is going to rotate on to your schedule every other year.  These schedules are going to be murderous for everyone, and there’s really hiding from it (thoughts and prayers to UGA, who has consistently had the easiest schedules in the SEC for over a decade). Even if you were to draw the 3 weakest opponents possible on a yearly basis, that just means that more tough opponents are going to rotate your way every other year. Conversely, bammer (who is admittedly getting a tough draw), will get the likes of Vandy, Missou, UK, and the MS schools rotating on every other year.

So really, who cares? Saban and company should stop their whining.
He was protected in the covid year so he can kindly STFU

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2023, 09:24:23 EST »

I think the permanent opponents should have been based solely on tradition and the only issues would be resolving conflicts where too many traditional matchups are shared.  I hate to lose the KY game simply because we have played it so many times over the life of our program.  To be honest, I'd rather lose Vandy than KY.  Vandy is never gonna be dominant in football again.  They may have a couple of good years out of a decade, but that will be it, if at all.  KY at least has the potential to be a good rival.  Nominally we should beat Vandy 55-0 every year.  That doesn't do much for me.  Sure it is a "nice to have" but that is about it. 

And yeah, yeah yeah, I know we just recently lost around 5 out of ten to the commode doors.  That is only a sign of how pathetic we were, not much else.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2023, 04:33:19 EST »

And yeah, yeah yeah, I know we just recently lost around 5 out of ten to the commode doors.  That is only a sign of how pathetic we were, not much else.

We absolutely were pathetic.  But vandy was also about as good as they have been since the early 50s, when their era of being actually good at football ended. So it was a combination.

I would rather keep Kentucky also for reasons of tradition. USC might be a hair better year in and year out, but that's about the only difference I see.

If the pairing is true, it will be a shame that our most played rivalry will eventually not be that, but I can live with it at the end of the day.

And yes.  Saban CAN STFU.    I swear, for all his success, he's the biggest whiner I know.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: