VTTW Board Index
April 29, 2024, 03:37:05 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Some stats of interest  (Read 403 times)
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: September 26, 2023, 04:21:12 EDT »

I normally look these up myself, but full disclosure, I stole these off of sjt18 on Volnation 

That said, UT is 6th in the SEC in scoring D at 17.3... USCe is 12th at 26.5.
UT leads the SEC in sacks and TFLs. USCe is 11th in sacks and last in TFLs. That gets even more interesting when you consider that USCe is last in sacks and TFLs allowed while UT is 2nd in TFLs allowed and 3rd in sacks allowed
While the avg yds allowed are similar, UT is a better run D against good opponents.
UT's often maligned pass D is 4th in the SEC allowing 191 ypg. USCe is again dead last allowing 317.
UT is 6th in total D with 302 ypg. USCe is last at 432 ypg.

The part above that I have bolded just stands out.  We are good at pressures and sacks, they are good at allowing them. I hope Rattler can barely walk after this one....

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2023, 04:39:56 EDT »

The only qualifier that I would add is take SC has played UGA, MSU, and UNC along with Furman. We have played UVA, AP, UF, and UTSA. In other words, our numbers to this point are not likely, imo, to be indicative of where we end the season.

I am hoping that our numbers improve from their current levels, obviously, but I am not betting the house on it.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2023, 05:50:59 EDT »

The only qualifier that I would add is take SC has played UGA, MSU, and UNC along with Furman. We have played UVA, AP, UF, and UTSA. In other words, our numbers to this point are not likely, imo, to be indicative of where we end the season.

I am hoping that our numbers improve from their current levels, obviously, but I am not betting the house on it.

Yeah, I'm aware that outside of the gaytors our schedule has been soft. I don't see improvement in our defensive numbers either, but I am hoping we can at least hold them at the current level.

I also saw on the SECN morning show today that Rattler was 18/20 vs MSU, and one of those was a drop and they were claiming the other was an uncalled PI.  

So...I guess I will just yell as loud as I can.  
« Last Edit: September 27, 2023, 06:41:07 EDT by BanditVol » Logged

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2023, 05:52:02 EDT »

Those stats are quite intriguing, but JeffCo's point about opponents moderates my hope to some degree.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2023, 07:26:22 EDT »

Yeah, I'm aware that outside of the gaytors our schedule has been soft. I don't see improvement in our defensive numbers either, but I am hoping we can at least hold them at the current level.

I also saw on the SECN morning show today that Rattler was 18/20, and one of those was a drop and they were claiming the other was an uncalled PI. 

So...I guess I will just yell as loud as I can. 
I?m with you, Bandit! I am going to hope for the best.

I watched a lot of the SC game last weekend. Rattler is good if he has time (maybe the best i have seen in the SEC this year). I think we are going to have to pressure him while at the same time containing him.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2023, 07:41:59 EDT »

I?m with you, Bandit! I am going to hope for the best.

I watched a lot of the SC game last weekend. Rattler is good if he has time (maybe the best i have seen in the SEC this year). I think we are going to have to pressure him while at the same time containing him.
Balanced pressure, good pressure from the DTs and Edge rushers, keep containment, or he kills us with his legs - see last year

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2023, 01:16:42 EDT »

Yeah those stat's are meaningless when schedules are factored in. The only way we win is if our LBs and DBs absolutely lock down all eligible receivers and we keep Rattler in the pocket where he can be sacked. Also, on offense we have to be able to run the ball consistently, if we have to depend on Joe we'll see a pick six (on one of the many bubble screens) and probably 3-4 sacks and another INT on a missed long throw. I can't understand why they haven't already made the move to Nico, we won't win more than 1 game if we stick with Joe....he simply doesn't have the brain nor the accuracy for this level of competition.        
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2023, 06:47:49 EDT »

Yeah those stat's are meaningless when schedules are factored in. The only way we win is if our LBs and DBs absolutely lock down all eligible receivers and we keep Rattler in the pocket where he can be sacked. Also, on offense we have to be able to run the ball consistently, if we have to depend on Joe we'll see a pick six (on one of the many bubble screens) and probably 3-4 sacks and another INT on a missed long throw. I can't understand why they haven't already made the move to Nico, we won't win more than 1 game if we stick with Joe....he simply doesn't have the brain nor the accuracy for this level of competition.        

The run game is interesting, we are the best rush game in the SEC, but surprisingly only 12th in passing yards per game.  I knew there had been a drop off in the pass game, did not know it was that drastic 

Also on the SECN today they were saying USC stacked the rush lanes against uga in the first half of that game and basically dared them to throw.  There were always 5 people on the line.   I'm going to venture a guess that they try something similar on us, given how we have played so far this year.

Thus...my guess is there WILL be wide open receivers like we had against UTSA...this time Joe has to hit them more frequently!

I haven't had an issue with any decisions Joe has made...I think his brain is fine. I do have an issue with how he manages the game at times though...he sometimes takes to long to get the team set and snap the ball, and that works against the concept of the hurry up. 

I also heard something interesting about him on talk radio..they said that prior to the UTSA game, the coaches, instead of just having him study the other teams defense or his own film, asked him what other QB he would like to study for tips on how to improve his game.  He chose Cam Newton.  The talking heads on the radio seemed to think it helped. I hope so, and I hope he improves again this week.  We need the passing game to start hitting on all cylinders. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: