VTTW Board Index
April 27, 2024, 11:54:40 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Interesting read on the SOF Chinook shootdown in August  (Read 2491 times)
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: October 15, 2011, 02:40:01 EDT »

http://www.thedonovan.com/historicalstuff/wardak_executive_summary.pdf

A few notes:
The key paragraph in my view is 8.c  They were going into the LZ essentially devoid of overhead assets.  The earlier description of the Ranger inserton gives you an idea of the level of support that may, may have prevented the shootdown.

The description of the shootdown indicates to me that the gunship or one ISR (most likely) was overhead at the time.

The description of the ISR operations indicates to me that I know what at least one of the ISR assets was (former coworkers were responsible of the development, fielding and sustainment of the system).

I disagree with one of the conclusions in paragraph 8.a but then I'm not a highly trained SOF operator.

BGen Colt's summary makes me feel a bit better concerning the shootdown but it was still a huge loss with the SOF community.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: