VTTW Board Index
May 15, 2024, 11:49:55 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question for the camera nerds (Volveeta)  (Read 3403 times)
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: April 09, 2012, 04:36:22 EDT »

So I got my wife a new camera, the Canon EOS Rebel T3i.  She'd wanted a "nice" camera for some time and with the new little one I figured now was the time.

But to be honest, this camera is pretty intimidating with all you can do with it and whatnot.  She's had more time than I have to read the manual and learn each feature, but I was wondering are there websites out there for the newbie photographer, sort of like a "SLR Cameras for Dummies" that explains how to get certain results without having to pore through the inch thick instruction manual?  Usually what happens is I turn it on and start asking her "how do I...".

Your post about photo storage below made me think, "hmm.. he'd be a good person to ask".

Also, did I do well on my camera purchase?  It seemed to be a popular camera based on reviews I've read.

Thanks, buddy.
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 04:37:52 EDT »

I can't offer up any websites (not that you asked me anyway, lol), but congratulations on purchasing your wife the best consumer-grade digital SLR on the market. 
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 04:41:50 EDT »

Well that's good news!  Thanks.

I just got the standard 18-55mm lens to start with, I was also wondering what the next logical step should be as far as lenses go.  And what about add-on flashes?  Are they useful for the average user?  This stuff is down the road (gotta love gifts that provide more gift idea opportunities later on).
VOLveeta
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 04:58:47 EDT »

Vinnie, dpreview.com is a very good site BUT...

I really recommend you just sit down one afternoon with the manual and experiment.  You will learn most in Av & M modes (Aperture priority & Manual).  In a pinch, you're always safe in P mode (automatic) which makes the camera as close to a point and shoot as possible.  For family gatherings and snapshot needs, that's where you wanna be.

But you're gonna want to get creative too and you'd be surprised how easy it is.  If you simply understand the relationship between aperture setting and depth of field, you've learned one of the most important things about photography.  It's really fun and pretty darned cool.  Canon lenses are good and the more you push their potential, the more you'll really surprise yourself.   

Here's a good read on the subject:  http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/depth-of-field.htm

yer palâ„¢,
VOLveeta
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 06:08:05 EDT »

Well that's good news!  Thanks.

I just got the standard 18-55mm lens to start with, I was also wondering what the next logical step should be as far as lenses go.  And what about add-on flashes?  Are they useful for the average user?  This stuff is down the road (gotta love gifts that provide more gift idea opportunities later on).

If you're looking for cheap, you can pick up a Tamron 70-300 mm lens for just a little over $100. It isn't a great lens by any stretch of the imagination, but a nice little step up from the factory-supplied 18-55mm lens. Picture quality won't be any better, but you're obviously gonna be able to reach out a little further and snap photos and the narrower depth of field at larger focal lengths adds a nice touch even on P mode (which is what I love to shoot on due to a combination of ignorance and laziness  ). Lots of photogs consider using a Tamron lens to be the equivalent of heresy but I use them some for work and of the 3 or 4 I've owned, I've only had an issue with one of them.

But of course once she really starts wanting to test the limits of that camera's capabilities, you'll find that you've opened a Pandora's box...filters, polarizers, etc. The cost of the camera body itself was just a drop in the bucket. 
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 06:14:16 EDT by BigOrange Maniac » Logged
Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 06:22:56 EDT »

The cost of the camera body itself was just a drop in the bucket. 

You just gave Vinnie an ulcer.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 06:37:45 EDT »

But of course once she really starts wanting to test the limits of that camera's capabilities, you'll find that you've opened a Pandora's box...filters, polarizers, etc. The cost of the camera body itself was just a drop in the bucket. 

Yeah, after I bought it I was amazed at all of the doo dads and gadgets that are out there as supplements to the camera itself.  I saw some lenses that cost upwards of $15k!! 

We've always owned point and shoot cameras, so this is a new arena.  I stay in P mode, but she's spent quite a bit of time tinkering around in manual.
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 03:00:30 EDT »

Vinny, if you ever get time, UT has a non-credit course (or used to) to teach you how to use SLR cameras. A fellow engineer took the course because he has grand babies and a new one was on the way. He said it was well worth the time and money. His photos improved so much.

Just a thought.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 01:10:04 EDT »

Thanks for the replies, guys.  Good info.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: