VTTW Board Index
May 14, 2024, 02:36:53 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WRT butch  (Read 9483 times)
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« on: September 27, 2015, 01:54:31 EDT »

He has been a major upgrade in the program-building aspects of his job. He's done a major upgrade on the roster, he's been a marketing madman, and he's done everything one can do to improve a program off the field.

But when the lights come on and the ball is kicked, he is no better than Dooley. If there is an opportunity to mismanage a game, he takes it.

He's not going to be here much longer.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

VOLveeta
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2015, 01:58:01 EDT »

I have no passion on the matter anymore... but I do know, if we go through another effing "hire", we go back another three years.  Even with the talent Jones has amassed, a.) our best choices won't accept the job b.) recruiting will plummet regardless because it ain't gonna be a "Gruden" type hire no matter what happens and c.) at this point it's almost as if the program is just cursed and no hire will make a difference.

We're stuck with Butch.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2015, 02:01:00 EDT »

We're stuck with Butch.

For next year I think I agree. And we will continue to be an also-ran no matter how talented we are. I can't see a 5th season for him.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2015, 02:01:41 EDT »

I have no passion on the matter anymore... but I do know, if we go through another effing "hire", we go back another three years.  Even with the talent Jones has amassed, a.) our best choices won't accept the job b.) recruiting will plummet regardless because it ain't gonna be a "Gruden" type hire no matter what happens and c.) at this point it's almost as if the program is just cursed and no hire will make a difference.

We're stuck with Butch.

Till next year anyway. 

I still think we go 8-4, but this is a horrible way to do it.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2015, 02:03:08 EDT »

He has been a major upgrade in the program-building aspects of his job. He's done a major upgrade on the roster, he's been a marketing madman, and he's done everything one can do to improve a program off the field.

But when the lights come on and the ball is kicked, he is no better than Dooley. If there is an opportunity to mismanage a game, he takes it.

He's not going to be here much longer.

I hope you're wrong and he changes because I fear yet another head coaching change will permanently end the football program ever being competitive.  I don't see any known/good coach really wanting the job, as we've witnessed several times recently.  It's just not the dream job so many Vols fans seem to think it is.  So, I hope you're wrong.  If you're not, I sure hope I am.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2015, 02:04:46 EDT »

I'm pulling for the guy, but it's gone from questionable to highly doubtful he'll get it done. Worley' s injury just prolonged the inevitable. If he stays healthy, we miss a bowl and the natives are restless all offseason.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2015, 02:09:34 EDT »

I hope I'm wrong too, TRO, but he's been coaching a long time now and he does things that a less stubborn coach would have learned his way out of by now. I don't see him growing into a good game coach.

And I agree with the risk if another search. But that's likely where we end up.

Also, no way Hart survives IMO.

Jean Voljean
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2015, 02:12:35 EDT »

"But when the lights come on and the ball is kicked, he is no better than Dooley. If there is an opportunity to mismanage a game, he takes it."

I think it is still too early to say that.  But what we do know is the first part of your post is correct.  We have witnessed a major upgrade with Butch and are back to competitive status.

Given some patience, our future is much more likely bright than dim.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2015, 02:17:21 EDT »

"But when the lights come on and the ball is kicked, he is no better than Dooley. If there is an opportunity to mismanage a game, he takes it."

I think it is still too early to say that.  But what we do know is the first part of your post is correct.  We have witnessed a major upgrade with Butch and are back to competitive status.

I'd be much happier if I could believe that. I think butch is our zook.

TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2015, 02:17:50 EDT »

I hope I'm wrong too, TRO, but he's been coaching a long time now and he does things that a less stubborn coach would have learned his way out of by now. I don't see him growing into a good game coach.

And I agree with the risk if another search. But that's likely where we end up.

Also, no way Hart survives IMO.

Fulmer was never a great game coach IMO.  He won when he had good talent and good coordinators (e.g., Cutcliffe and Chavis).  I'm hoping Jones can do that or realize change is needed. 
VOLveeta
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2015, 02:18:44 EDT »

You are right, at this point we have to hope Butch is miraculously injected with some mojo because the program can't endure another coaching change.  We're already a bit of a joke of a program compared to the glory days.  Another firing, another questionable hire (because we won't land one of the big dogs), another rebuild of confidence... we just gotta hope this season is the most agonizingly painful learning lesson that will create a great program.  If not, thank God I've got those old vhs's & youtube to reminisce.
RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2015, 02:27:57 EDT »

I love Butch, but I am not seeing the game day coaching i hoped for.   Next year will tell the full story

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2015, 02:30:09 EDT »

On the bright side, it's good to see some infrequent long-time posters here.

On the other side, this is depressing.
https://twitter.com/ESPNDari/status/647917738023874560

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2015, 02:30:53 EDT »

I'm trying to come away from this with some sort of optimism because I have tickets to the Arkansas game. But at the moment, I'm really dreading it and wish I had waited to buy tickets.

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2015, 02:35:57 EDT »

I'm meeting some Hog fan friends in Knoxville. It'll be good to see them, but I don't care about the game.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2015, 03:31:10 EDT »

I haven't given up on this season or the program under Butch, but he has unfortunately dug himself a hole.

I really truly hope that we go 8-4 this season starting with a big win against Arkansas this Saturday.  I hope Dobbs improves his passing.  I hope our D learns to play just a bit harder in the 4th quarter.  I hope Jancek never, in his entire remaining coaching career, rushes three with the game on the line in the last couple of minutes.

All these things can happen.  If at the end of the season we are 8-4 I will have optimism for the next year.  In the meantime, I will be in the trenches with this team to the last game no matter what the final record.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2015, 03:49:10 EDT »

Well said Bandit. And if things go poorly, I need to go hiking more anyway.

Also, if my football expenditures are reduced, I can get a cool gun.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2015, 04:00:17 EDT »

Well said Bandit. And if things go poorly, I need to go hiking more anyway.

Also, if my football expenditures are reduced, I can get a cool gun.

Very true Murf 

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2015, 05:11:51 EDT »

I don't have a freaking clue what the hell y'all are fizzleing talking about!

I saw a team well prepared, a team playing to win and a team that made adjustments.

What I didn't see was a secondary that is anywhere near good enough to win with.  Jancek does like to blitz his safeties. 

If you are referring to the two TOs it seemed to me the punt was going to be a fake.  The FG, HAVEN't a clue, was watching something else.  It was interesting on the call overturn (OB).   During the UF TO Butch calmly talked to the white hat almost the entire TO.  When no move to review was made Butch threw a mini tantrum and the result was the overturn

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2015, 07:12:21 EDT »

There was some bad coaching decisions.....some bad play calling late in the game when we needed a couple of first downs to seal the win....Sometimes you've got to GO WIN the game instead of trying NOT to LOSE the game....

That said.....when you have several 4 and 5 stars......they need to make a damn play in the 4th quarter. We aren't making those plays...sometimes players have to overcome bad coaching decisions.

This year teams in college football are 188 Wins and 3 losses when up by 13 going into the 4th quarter.....We have 2 of the 3 losses. That's coaching and players not making plays when it comes to nut-cutten time.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 07:50:14 EDT by Tnphil » Logged
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2015, 02:57:44 EDT »

There was some bad coaching decisions.....some bad play calling late in the game when we needed a couple of first downs to seal the win....Sometimes you've got to GO WIN the game instead of trying NOT to LOSE the game....

That said.....when you have several 4 and 5 stars......they need to make a damn play in the 4th quarter. We aren't making those plays...sometimes players have to overcome bad coaching decisions.

This year teams in college football are 188 Wins and 3 losses when up by 13 going into the 4th quarter.....We have 2 of the 3 losses. That's coaching and players not making plays when it comes to nut-cutten time.

There were bad calls but the players have to believe they can win and be aggressive when it counts. I think this more than anything else is lacking.

I'm going to continue to hope its due to not having a recent tradition of winning and that they can grow out of it.  I guess we will see.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: