VTTW Board Index
May 14, 2024, 11:08:17 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Josh Dobbs blocked me on Twitter  (Read 4359 times)
Creek Walker
« on: November 18, 2016, 05:19:42 EST »

Now before someone roasts me here, let me say that I don't really care. I've blocked lots of people on Twitter, too. It's his Twitter and he's free to do what he likes, and I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

Dobbs is one of the very, very few active student-athletes I've ever followed on Twitter. Still, I pay little enough attention to it that I would never have noticed he had blocked me until Clay Travis tweeted about Dobbs blocking him. I certainly don't follow Travis, but someone else retweeted his tweet about it. A few folks replied to his tweet saying they had also been blocked, so I got curious and decided to check and...sure enough, yep.

Here's the thing: I've never mentioned Dobbs directly on Twitter (except complimentary tweets a time or two). I think adults who go around mentioning college students directly on Twitter are losers. (Almost as big losers as adults who wear college students' jerseys to football games.  ) But I've tweeted a few things similar to what we say on message boards a few times: Like "Dobbs has terrible pocket awareness," or something similar to that.

Which brings me to my point: For Dobbs to know I (and others he blocked, who also said they didn't directly mention him) said something like that on Twitter, he had to search himself on Twitter. And given how many football fans use Twitter, that would be a very long search. I'm not sure how a guy who doubles as an aerospace engineering student and an SEC quarterback has time to name-search himself on Twitter...and if he's so thin-skinned that he's blocking everyone who's made an off-handed comment about his play, I'm not sure why he'd name-search himself in the first place.

Anyway, I hope he plays like a superstar against Mizzou on Saturday and I still think he's a great kid who's a great ambassador for the university...it just seems really odd.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 05:32:26 EST »

Thin skin, just like his head coach.

Go Army - Beat Navy!
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 12:50:51 EST »

1) I'd have blocked all kinds of folks at age 21 or 22, had Twitter existed then.

2) As an old guy, I assume most 21 or 22 year-olds are about like I was at that age.

3) I have never followed a player (or coach) on Twitter.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 03:29:33 EST »

Maybe he just had too many followers

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 04:53:28 EST »

You shouldn't have said his eyebrows were too bushy. 
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2016, 04:20:11 EST »

That is really odd, and doesn't really seem to match the impression I've always got from him.  With Butch, it's really obvious how thin skinned he is... but Dobbs has never seemed that way to me.  It's pretty weird that he's gone through the trouble of searching for his mentions then blocking everyone.
Jean Voljean
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2016, 06:30:00 EST »

He's a young man and probably a 100 times more mature than I was at his age. 

And 10 times more mature than a pretty large percentage of adult serious football fans. 

I hear you and appreciate that you are not criticizing him for his Twitter behavior.   This is just an opportunity for me to point out that regardless of what he did, he has had to be far more thick skinned given the behavior of so many football fans than most people could handle.

How many of us get booed by crowds when people sitting on their fat butts don't think our best is good enough?
How many of us have the joy of being publicly criticized for our every failing?
How many of us get psychologically analyzed (and again publicly) by strangers who know almost nothing about the subject or us?

Frankly, it's amazing that any pro or major college athletes have anything but contempt for their fans.

TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2016, 06:32:40 EST »

He's a young man and probably a 100 times more mature than I was at his age. 

And 10 times more mature than a pretty large percentage of adult serious football fans. 

I hear you and appreciate that you are not criticizing him for his Twitter behavior.   This is just an opportunity for me to point out that regardless of what he did, he has had to be far more thick skinned given the behavior of so many football fans than most people could handle.

How many of us get booed by crowds when people sitting on their fat butts don't think our best is good enough?
How many of us have the joy of being publicly criticized for our every failing?
How many of us get psychologically analyzed (and again publicly) by strangers who know almost nothing about the subject or us?

Frankly, it's amazing that any pro or major college athletes have anything but contempt for their fans.

This.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2016, 06:39:30 EST »

Another thing is, his football career is winding down and he has no ambition to play in the NFL.  He may just be making preparations for that.  Honestly Twitter can annoy the shizzle out of me sometimes.  If I leave it on in the background, it's constantly blowing up my phone and eating my data plan. 

My guess is, he's just sick of Twitter and can't wait to get off it!  It is truly an annoying as shizzle app. IMO.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2016, 07:04:22 EST »

I don't know his motivations for a wholesale twitter dump, but I'll give Josh Dobbs a LOT of rope.  He's done more for this program than any player since...who?  Eric Berry?  And whatever his shortcomings on the field, he's been the best off-field ambassador that we've EVER had.  And I don't even think that's debatable. 

Give the kid his due.  We're probably going to miss him more than we realize.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2016, 07:37:26 EST »

I don't know his motivations for a wholesale twitter dump, but I'll give Josh Dobbs a LOT of rope.  He's done more for this program than any player since...who?  Eric Berry?  And whatever his shortcomings on the field, he's been the best off-field ambassador that we've EVER had.  And I don't even think that's debatable. 

Give the kid his due.  We're probably going to miss him more than we realize.

/like

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2016, 07:45:09 EST »

We're probably going to miss him more than we realize.

Yes, we will.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: