VTTW Board Index
May 16, 2024, 06:29:41 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vols advance......  (Read 1055 times)
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« on: March 09, 2023, 11:40:42 EST »

I'm not sure that losing early in this tournament would be a bad thing, although I hate to lose. But the way this team plays defense, a rest might be good for them.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2023, 11:44:12 EST »

Agree. Now that we finally got that SECT monkey off our backs, I’m not very concerned about winning it (at least for the next few years😉). A loss tomorrow wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world.

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2023, 12:37:47 EST »

Agree. Now that we finally got that SECT monkey off our backs, I’m not very concerned about winning it (at least for the next few years😉). A loss tomorrow wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world.
We WILL win tomorrow
We have unfinished business with them

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2023, 02:42:33 EST »

We will lose to Alabama in the semi- finals   Losing isn't the issue, but rather to THAT team!   Definitely would like to make a run in NCAA given a choice. Really good teams win their conference tourney & go far (maybe even win it all) in the NCAA. Unfortunately, I don't think UT is that kind of team. OTOH, their defense is going to keep games close.  
« Last Edit: March 10, 2023, 07:54:51 EST by SmokeyJoe » Logged
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2023, 03:32:10 EST »

We will beat Mizzou like a rented mule. I am on record as saying they pulled one out of their arse last time.  We owe them one.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2023, 04:55:05 EST »

We made the finals in 3 of the last 4 SECTs that were actually completed. The other, we made the semis. Perhaps it’s no coincidence that we advanced past the first weekend of the NCAAT only once in that span (losing to lower seeded teams each time). I’d be anxious to see what we could do with an extra day or two of rest. 

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2023, 05:41:56 EST »

BTW, bammer is ripe for an upset. In fact, I wouldn’t be shocked if MSU beats them tomorrow. They and Vandy are playing as well as anyone right now.

SmokeyJoe
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2023, 10:41:48 EST »

BTW, bammer is ripe for an upset. In fact, I wouldn’t be shocked if MSU beats them tomorrow. They and Vandy are playing as well as anyone right now.

Keep your day job 
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2023, 01:00:44 EST »

Just got beat twice by a first time head coach that took over a program that Cunzo ran into the ditch...
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2023, 11:26:36 EST »

Just got beat twice by a first time head coach that took over a program that Cunzo ran into the ditch...

He's a good coach, we don't have Zekai, and it was a close game.

Not that I am thrilled with what the Vols are doing, but Mizzou was actually seeded above us, FTR. 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2023, 04:49:27 EDT »

He's a good coach, we don't have Zekai, and it was a close game.

Not that I am thrilled with what the Vols are doing, but Mizzou was actually seeded above us, FTR. 

My point stands...Beat by a first time HC with a program that Martin was fired from. And they beat us on our home floor with ZZ playing.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2023, 10:57:23 EDT »

My point stands...Beat by a first time HC with a program that Martin was fired from. And they beat us on our home floor with ZZ playing.

Your point stands, and is just as irrelevant as when you first posted it.  We can panic about whatever we want to, but losing two close games to a higher seeded team that barely beat us without our emotional leader and go to guy in the waning minutes, is not something I tend to get "hair on fire" about.

That its a first year coach is also irrelevant.  He is clearly a really good coach.  At one point Bruce was a first year coach, and did much better than his predecessor also IIRC.

I'm more concerned that we have issues scoring at times, that we sometimes disappear at the end of the games and that we have a couple ugly loses that might preview a first round first game exit.

Obsessing on what is clearly a top notch coach just because he is new is just not relevant IMO.

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2023, 01:03:00 EDT »

A first year coach that's been on campus for less than a year shouldnt beat what some say is a HOF coach that's been at UT 8 years and recruited in the top 10 for 3 years. Are you in the crowd that says we should keep Barnes because we can't get anybody better? And UT was 13.5 point favorite at home against Missouri.

I know that you like to argue just to see yourself argue....It means and your opinions mean nothing to me... Your opinion is  100% irrelevant.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 01:25:31 EDT by Tnphil » Logged
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2023, 08:32:52 EDT »

A first year coach that's been on campus for less than a year shouldnt beat what some say is a HOF coach that's been at UT 8 years and recruited in the top 10 for 3 years. Are you in the crowd that says we should keep Barnes because we can't get anybody better? And UT was 13.5 point favorite at home against Missouri.

I know that you like to argue just to see yourself argue....It means and your opinions mean nothing to me... Your opinion is  100% irrelevant.

Ah, now you finally make your point!  You don't think Barnes is worth what we are paying him and are frustrated with his performance.  Why not just say that instead of making a big deal out of a meaningless SECT loss?

My point is you are being really negative and harping on a loss that in which we were...wait for this...actually the UNDERDOG.  Who the coach of Mizzou is doesn't matter.  We WERE NOT FAVORED and IT WAS CLOSE and WE DIDN"T HAVE OUR BEST PLAYER.

Rail against Barnes all you want, but find something better than this game to complain about is my point, because pointing out that Mizzou has a young coach really doesn't make your point and is just negativity for the sake of it IMO. 

Anyay, I do respect your opinions TnPhil.  99% of the time.   

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2023, 05:54:47 EDT »

Ah, now you finally make your point!  You don't think Barnes is worth what we are paying him and are frustrated with his performance.  Why not just say that instead of making a big deal out of a meaningless SECT loss?

My point is you are being really negative and harping on a loss that in which we were...wait for this...actually the UNDERDOG.  Who the coach of Mizzou is doesn't matter.  We WERE NOT FAVORED and IT WAS CLOSE and WE DIDN"T HAVE OUR BEST PLAYER.

Rail against Barnes all you want, but find something better than this game to complain about is my point, because pointing out that Mizzou has a young coach really doesn't make your point and is just negativity for the sake of it IMO.  

Anyay, I do respect your opinions TnPhil.  99% of the time.  

Barnes is past his use by date....He's taken the program as far as it will go. He's playing offense from the 1990s.

Not harping on the SECT loss....I even had money on Missouri winning....So nice try. The FACTS were he lost to Missouri 2 times with more talent and 36 years head coaching against a coach that's got 5 months.

Now please tell us and give us your excuse for losing to them at home in Knoxville and favored by 13.5 points. Now....make your excuse for Barnes. I've got all day....I'm retired and have plenty of time to read excuses. Also please give us your excuse for why a coach of 36 years only has one point guard.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 06:01:09 EDT by Tnphil » Logged
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2023, 08:02:00 EDT »

why a coach of 36 years only has one point guard.
Now that is a great question, regardless of whether someone is in the pro-CRB camp, the-CRB camp, or the I-don’t-care camp.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2023, 06:32:54 EDT »

Barnes is past his use by date....He's taken the program as far as it will go. He's playing offense from the 1990s.

Not harping on the SECT loss....I even had money on Missouri winning....So nice try. The FACTS were he lost to Missouri 2 times with more talent and 36 years head coaching against a coach that's got 5 months.

Now please tell us and give us your excuse for losing to them at home in Knoxville and favored by 13.5 points. Now....make your excuse for Barnes. I've got all day....I'm retired and have plenty of time to read excuses. Also please give us your excuse for why a coach of 36 years only has one point guard.

I haven't made any excuses for Barnes, just saying the Mizzou loss in the SECT at a neutral site doesn't mean anything and doesn't support your point that Barnes is "past his use date" which I don't necessarily disagree with.

But you keep insisting for some odd reason.  You even admit you bet against the Vols!   

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2023, 06:34:42 EDT »

One other comment on the "past his use date".  I think we all agree the main issue with Barnes is his lack of success in the NCAAT, the end of this season aside.

If so, then he is doing what he always has, so I am not even sure that is a good term.

Maybe a old dog can't learn new tricks is more accurate.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: