VTTW Board Index
May 16, 2024, 03:52:30 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I hate to look too far ahead, but I just can't help it...  (Read 5117 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: November 16, 2014, 03:22:33 EST »

I know 2016 is the year we're all aiming for, but can somebody tell me why we can't win the East next year?  Yeah, we'll still have some roster holes.  And that's assuming Dobbs and the OL continue to progress.  But who doesn't have holes in this division?  UGA loses Gurley, and we get them at home.  UF and USC are a mess.  I'm not saying next season will be a failure if we don't make it to Atlanta, but for the first time in a long time, I think it's a realistic goal.  

GreggO
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 05:08:15 EST »

Shhhhhhhh..........
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 06:03:03 EST »

Couldn't agree more. If Dobbs had played more "we'd" be right there THIS year!
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 06:08:18 EST »

Couldn't agree more. If Dobbs had played more "we'd" be right there THIS year!

If Dobbs had played more, he might be on IR with Worley given the quality of D-lines we faced and inexperience of our O line.  Yes, I realize Dobb's mobility makes the O line look better, but the first 6 games had to help them develop.

Or if Dobbs had to face all the quality D's we faced earlier, he might not look so good.  USC jr and UK are pitiful on D, and it could be argued that we caught bammer off guard.

For what can happen to a QB rushed into service under trying conditions, see Peterman.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 03:34:07 EST »

Shhhhhhhh..........

Hate to say it, but assuming we finish strong this year, and we have no unexpected attrition this offseason, there's no way we're going to escape the hype machine going into next year.  The secret is out. If you heard what McElroy and McFarland had to say on the SEC scoreboard show last night, you'd have no doubt.  The team is going to be ranked in the preseason.  They'll probably be picked to finish no lower than 2nd in the East.  And Dobbs is going to be in the early running for that individual award which shall not be named.  This program hasn't had to deal with expectations like this in a long, long time.  I don't necessarily like it, but I'll take it over being irrelevant.  We've seen that movie over and over, and we know how it ends. 

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2014, 10:33:01 EST »

Hate to say it, but assuming we finish strong this year, and we have no unexpected attrition this offseason, there's no way we're going to escape the hype machine going into next year.  The secret is out. If you heard what McElroy and McFarland had to say on the SEC scoreboard show last night, you'd have no doubt.  The team is going to be ranked in the preseason.  They'll probably be picked to finish no lower than 2nd in the East.  And Dobbs is going to be in the early running for that individual award which shall not be named.  This program hasn't had to deal with expectations like this in a long, long time.  I don't necessarily like it, but I'll take it over being irrelevant.  We've seen that movie over and over, and we know how it ends. 

I noticed not just those two, but even the announcers in another game raving on Dobbs.  I agree expectations will be much higher next year, depending on how we finish.  Not sure he will be mentioned for the hypesman preseason...that seems to be a bit of a stretch.  But we will certainly be in the mix for the SEC East, though one should factor in how weak the East is.  I think it's great...it puts us where I hoped we would be next year, and perhaps even a bit ahead.

Speaking of finishing...I predicted 5-7 this year and stuck with it even after bammer.  After USC jr I bumped it up to 6-6, but the fact is, we have already met my preseason expectations for this season and have a chance to exceed them greatly.  Man I tell you...8-5 was a failure 8 years ago, but it would be great to get there this year.

This game coming up is going to be a much stiffer test. Mizzou has a real D.  USC jr and UK have perhaps two of the three crappiest D's in the SEC.  Vandy is down there with them, and perhaps Tamu.

I would rate Mizzou behind only UF in the East for D.  So this is going to be Dobbs biggest test yet, if you consider the "surprise factor" to be relevant in the case of bammer (and I really hope it wasn't that...or at least that was a minor factor ).

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2014, 02:46:55 EST »

I don't necessarily like it, but I'll take it over being irrelevant.

A-freaking-men. The hype you're anticipating may be about a year too soon but I will absolutely take that over not being talked about at all. If we come out of this season with 7 or 8 wins and this kind of talk continues, we are going to lock down a really, really good recruiting class in February.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2014, 03:10:41 EST »

Love that sig pic, Clock.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2014, 03:18:29 EST »

Love that sig pic, Clock.

Smokey is a fizzleing boss.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Creek Walker
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2014, 03:29:08 EST »

Smokey is a fizzleing boss.

Not too much of a boss if he has to be shrouded like that in 45-degree weather. A true bluetick would be out coon hunting on a 5-degree night and loving it. We'll blame his handlers, though. 
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2014, 03:50:33 EST »

Not too much of a boss if he has to be shrouded like that in 45-degree weather. A true bluetick would be out coon hunting on a 5-degree night and loving it. We'll blame his handlers, though. 

Coon's already been hunted, Creek. He's got that little furry bastard right up on his head.

Like I said . . . boss.

Creek Walker
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2014, 03:51:06 EST »

Coon's already been hunted, Creek. He's got that little furry bastard right up on his head.

Like I said . . . boss.

Touche, touche. 
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2014, 09:13:20 EST »

It is a very realistic goal and we'll be the trendy pick to win the east next year. We return 19 starters, and now we have a QB. We add a great recruiting class, and our excellent freshmen become sophomores.

I think UT or GA win it next year. GA will still have a great running game, but they will have an inexperienced QB. SCe will have a new QB, and they seem to be trending down. Mizzou will not be any better. FL seems to be a mess right now, and it will take the right hire and a couple of years for them.

Plus, we get SC and UGA at home.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: