VTTW Board Index
May 18, 2024, 01:39:56 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So what about Bray?  (Read 11814 times)
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2012, 12:39:05 EST »

Luckily for us our previous-previous coach passed on that bust Taj Boyd who only passed for 5 td's and ran for three more yesterday. We could have been saddled with that kind of talent.

The story was that he didn't fit Kiffin's offense, and that is true.  But Taj can certainly throw the ball in addition to running, and I don't see why we passed on him.  Never did, and had heated discussions on that very topic.

I do recall one poster saying he would never amount to anything in college and was injured anyway, to which...

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2012, 12:40:58 EST »

And while we are on the topic, had Fulmer just beaten UCLA and Auburn in 2008, which implies that Crompton played just slightly better, no way is he fired, no way do we lose to Wyoming and we go 8-4 and Tahj comes to UT.  Then who knows what the future may have held.

Water under the bridge now.  Thank God the Dooley era is over.  A new coach can hardly do worse.  Looking forward to the next step.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2012, 12:45:39 EST »

The story was that he didn't fit Kiffin's offense, and that is true.  But Taj can certainly throw the ball in addition to running, and I don't see why we passed on him.  Never did, and had heated discussions on that very topic.

I do recall one poster saying he would never amount to anything in college and was injured anyway, to which...

Which poster are you referring to?

I'm asking because I remember having a discussion with you about him being hurt and that he wouldn't have made a difference in his first year, which is when we were discussing the issue. I don't remember anybody saying he would never be a good QB. He is in the perfect system for his skills at Clemson.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2012, 12:47:33 EST »

It was probably me.  You know how intense I can get about recruiting and high school prospects.   
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2012, 12:52:03 EST »

I'm asking because I remember having a discussion with you about him being hurt and that he wouldn't have made a difference in his first year, which is when we were discussing the issue. I don't remember anybody saying he would never be a good QB. He is in the perfect system for his skills at Clemson.

Not you.  Many posters commented, many disagreed.  Only one stated emphatically that he would never amount to anything.  Only one poster was, I thought, unreasonable about it, and it definitely wasn't you.   

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2012, 12:53:47 EST »

Not you.  Many posters commented, many disagreed.  Only one stated emphatically that he would never amount to anything.  Only one poster was, I thought, unreasonable about it, and it definitely wasn't you.   

Interesting.

I always thought he would be a good QB, but I also understood why Kiffin thought he wouldn't be a good fit due to arm strength and size.

I do not think that we'd have a better record with Boyd over Bray right now. I think Bray would be a big winner with the right coach to harness him. But no doubt Boyd is a really good player.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2012, 01:03:43 EST »

Speaking of Kiffin QB recruits, remember this guy?  He turned down Kiffin at UT to play at USC.  I remember all of us saying, "They'll just recruit over him, and he'll never see the field".  And that's precisely what happened- only Kiffin was the one who ended up doing the recruiting.  Maybe we can still yet get him when he emerges from JUCO next year.

EDIT: And as I recall, his dad had some pretty insulting things to say about UT's academics, as well.  Which makes the fact that his kid is now slumming it in junior college all the more delicious.

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/jun/04/sports/la-sp-sn-usc-quarterback-jesse-scroggins-to-transfer-20120604
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 01:10:47 EST by Black Diamond Vol » Logged

101stDad
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2012, 03:24:14 EST »

I have heard that both Bray and Patterson won't have a chance to come back because of academics.

I believe this to be true.  I've been led to believe that even if Tennessee had qualified for a bowl game that the 6 hour rule could have prevented one or both from playing in it. 
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: