VTTW Board Index
May 20, 2024, 02:35:09 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who was the second best QB in Vol history? Heath Shuler? I bet there  (Read 11768 times)
EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2013, 02:19:57 EDT »

If you are going that route, the Swamp Rat always ranks up there with me as he was the first QB I was "aware" of wearing orange and who can forget the (seemingly) 10 hour 1 yard TD run against UCLA in Memphis??

Course I could have drug out Alan Cockrell and a few other names from the past as well. 

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2013, 02:36:44 EDT »

Course I could have drug out Alan Cockrell and a few other names from the past as well. 

Alan Cockrell a "name from the past"? 

He's going to get a kick out of that one the next time I see him.  Cock still looks like he could suit up and play. 

Had the chance to enjoy an adult beverage with Dewey a couple of weeks ago.  Still one of the very best human beings around.  I hate the term, but Dewey is the definition of a VFL. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Screaming Eagle Dad
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2013, 03:12:45 EDT »

Geez...what a loaded question. Tennessee sure has a rich history of QB's to pick from. I can't say anything about the guys I never saw play but the ones I did see I really liked them. Casey Clausen was a winner and does not deserve the flak he gets. He is the number two all time leading passer for UT if I'm not mistaken. With Andy Kelly I never thought Tennessee was out of the game. We know what Tony Robinson could do as well as Jimmy Streater. But for me it has to be Heath Shuler.
IF you want to go the what if route I really think that if Jerry Colquitt had not been hurt in the season opener at UCLA he would have had a very special one and only year as a Tennessee QB. My heart broke for the guy. Here was a man who could have transferred out but he stayed true to Tennessee and for that reason alone he will always be one of my favorite Vols of all time. 
EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2013, 04:25:08 EDT »

Alan Cockrell a "name from the past"? 

He's going to get a kick out of that one the next time I see him.  Cock still looks like he could suit up and play. 

Had the chance to enjoy an adult beverage with Dewey a couple of weeks ago.  Still one of the very best human beings around.  I hate the term, but Dewey is the definition of a VFL. 

Well he did play more than 20 years ago and some of these young pups don't remember Alan's time as a Vol so he is getting up into "older generation" now.  You know this thread brings up an interesting topic as well.....great LBs to have played for the Vols.....

One of mine makes the All Name Vol Team....Craig Puki......Puki Puki Puki preceeded Eric Berry Eric Berry Eric Berry as a name shouted from the stands.

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2013, 03:15:08 EDT »

I saw Dewey play and yeah he was "slower than Manning".  I always thought it funny when the announcers would comment on Manning not being "fleet of foot" but then they always show the naked bootleg against Bama and not one Bama defender within 20 yards of Manning when he crossed the goal line.....

yeah but I was at that game and it was trickeration....no one close to manning because they were tackling the rb...

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2013, 03:30:16 EDT »

yeah but I was at that game and it was trickeration....no one close to manning because they were tackling the rb...

It's a part of Manning's game that has mostly been overlooked, but he's probably the best ever at selling the play action, draw, and pump fake.  IMO, that's been as big a part of his success as anything else.

TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2013, 04:09:42 EDT »

Boy, we have a bunch of young guys here. 

Condredge Holloway is #2, in my opinion.  The things he could do were absolutely incredible.  Most don't realize that he is thought to be the best all time QB in the CFL.  Condredge was special. 

I second (or third, or....) this.   
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: