VTTW Board Index
May 14, 2024, 09:16:02 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ESPN Bowl projections  (Read 2927 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: November 24, 2019, 10:33:36 EST »

Gator vs. Michigan, Outback vs. Penn State.

I didn’t think we were even in the running for the Outback.

We would be big underdogs in either of these matchups, but just getting there should be considered a win (THIS season).

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/28146661/college-football-bowl-projections

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2019, 10:44:21 EST »

Think I read correctly that if two SEC teams get into the playoff, our chances increase for Outback.

Exciting!
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2019, 10:44:25 EST »

Idk if I want those matchups this year imho. Let's not get carried away. Not you, but whoever is projecting. We are third in the east & 6th/7th overall? We should have a comparable matchup
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2019, 10:52:10 EST »

I've also seen some saying Music City Bowl. One proj. has us vs Louisville in the MC Bowl. It's hard to believe but the MCB payout is 2 million more than the Gator Bowl I read this morning.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2019, 11:45:38 EST »

I've also seen some saying Music City Bowl. One proj. has us vs Louisville in the MC Bowl. It's hard to believe but the MCB payout is 2 million more than the Gator Bowl I read this morning.

I saw that. Also saw one that had us in the Liberty (yuck).

But since ESPN literally owns all the bowls, I put more stock in their projections.

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2019, 11:51:15 EST »

Idk if I want those matchups this year imho. Let's not get carried away. Not you, but whoever is projecting. We are third in the east & 6th/7th overall? We should have a comparable matchup

Agree, those look pretty tough. But Miami looked pretty tough in 85. OSU looked pretty tough in 95. FSU looked pretty tough in 98. That month off can be a great equalizer.

Don’t get me wrong- I think we’d lose either of those games. But the chance of pulling the upset makes it worth the risk imo. Those would be some sweet, sweet wins if we could pull it off.

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2019, 12:22:28 EST »

Agree, those look pretty tough. But Miami looked pretty tough in 85. OSU looked pretty tough in 95. FSU looked pretty tough in 98. That month off can be a great equalizer.

Don’t get me wrong- I think we’d lose either of those games. But the chance of pulling the upset makes it worth the risk imo. Those would be some sweet, sweet wins if we could pull it off.

It looks like that due to the top-heavy nature of the SEC this year, all of the SEC teams in the lower bowls could be big underdogs. Right now, there are only 8 bowl-eligible teams in the SEC. Mizzou can get there by beating Arkansas next week, but the NCAA has yet to rule on their eligibility. MSU can get there by beating Ole Miss, but that I don't think they will.

So if there's only 8, that means that 2 could be in the playoffs. 2 more could be in NY6 bowls. That leaves only 4 for the Citrus, Outback, Belk, Music City, Independence, Liberty, Birmingham, Gator, and Texas. Obviously some of those will go unfilled. But those SEC teams that are left will probably be a bit in over their heads, at least on paper.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2019, 04:33:35 EST »

https://collegefootballnews.com/2019/01/2019-2020-college-football-bowl-ties-affiliations-for-each-conference

Affiliations with SEC.

College Football Playoff Semifinal: If Selected

1. Sugar Bowl vs. Big 12

2. Buffalo Wild Wings Citrus Bowl vs. Big Ten or ACC

The SEC will assign teams to the respective bowls in this pool.

– AutoZone Liberty Bowl vs. Big 12
– Belk Bowl vs. ACC
– Franklin American Mortgage Music City Bowl vs. ACC or Big Ten (most likely the ACC)
– Outback Bowl vs. Big Ten
– TaxSlayer Bowl vs. ACC or Big Ten (most likely the Big Ten)
– Texas Bowl vs. Big 12

Second Tier

– Jared Birmingham Bowl vs. American Athletic
– Walk-On’s Independence Bowl vs. ACC

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2019, 04:40:12 EST »

I wasn't sure the Liberty Bowl was still part of the SEC deal, but it is.

Eight is a possibility, but so is 10.  I think MSU might beat Ole Miss, and my guess is that the NCAA is going to announce the decision on the appeal after football season.  They typically give a week's notice, so there is only a window of a week to do that prior to bowl selections.  If they don't announce a week's notice on the decision by this coming Friday, there won't be time to announce the ruling prior to the bowls.  So we will find out soon enough if the NCAA is going to allow it or not.

Of course, the school may decide not to participate due to the uncertainty hanging over it.  I suspect the NCAA will drag its feet long enough to allow the bowl though.

But realistically, we are in no danger of dropping to the second tier.   We are arguably the 6th best team in the SEC, though I am sure most would give the nod to Tamu over us (likely we finish with identical records but Vols will have better SEC record).  They likely get the nod due to our ugly Ga State loss and the fact that they played a tougher schedule. I don't think they are actually better than us though.

I wonder if the Texas Bowl will try to match them with the fake UT.  I work with Texas grads, they miss that game.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
crockettman
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2019, 05:02:02 EST »

This team has grit..I don't think they care who they play.. Brang it!
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2019, 08:58:35 EST »

Btw, next season is the first of the SEC’s deal with the Las Vegas Bowl. If we can’t make a major bowl, I’d be all about going to that one. 

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2019, 08:34:54 EST »

Btw, next season is the first of the SEC’s deal with the Las Vegas Bowl. If we can’t make a major bowl, I’d be all about going to that one. 

Need an agreement with the Bahama Bowl.  I'd be there!

Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2019, 06:59:33 EST »

Need an agreement with the Bahama Bowl.  I'd be there!

If we got paired up with Penn State and then got "blowed out" - I would take that as a good omen of things to come.  However, it would suck to lose to that drizzle again, and I Hate Penn State.

Creek Walker
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2019, 07:59:56 EST »

Part of me wants the Music City Bowl because I can go to that one, and Nashville is always awesome. But another part of me wants one of the Florida bowls and a premiere matchup against a ranked opponent. We saw what happened when we played elite teams early in the season. I want to see what happens when we play an elite team now. A win over someone like Penn State does far more for this program right ow than a win over someone like Louisville.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: