VTTW Board Index
May 15, 2024, 08:22:58 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ut oh.  (Read 11489 times)
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: November 17, 2014, 04:46:00 EST »

WBIR TV is tweeting that AJ Johnson is a suspect in an alleged sexual assault that took place early Sunday morning. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Screaming Eagle Dad
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 05:03:49 EST »

I do believe that with the character that he has shown during his time at Tennessee this would shock everyone if true. Lets hope its not.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 05:12:07 EST »

Just as soon as I remove my protective cup....  BAM.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 05:14:32 EST »

It's now being termed a "rape and sexual assault" investigation:

http://www.wbir.com/story/news/local/downtown-ut/2014/11/17/2-ut-students-accused-of-rape-and-sexual-assualt/19166681/

Go Army - Beat Navy!
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 05:49:02 EST »

This article says one of the women is not pressing charges.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 06:05:38 EST »

This article says one of the women is not pressing charges.

I think it added the words "at this time", which could change. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Screaming Eagle Dad
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2014, 06:17:52 EST »

I'm not saying this did or did not happen but here's the problem I have with this. First off, its embarrassing for everyone involved. Second, it was two males and two females, whats to say that this was done with concent and the two girls decide later to say it was rape. It has happened before.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2014, 06:22:47 EST »

I'm not saying this did or did not happen but here's the problem I have with this. First off, its embarrassing for everyone involved. Second, it was two males and two females, whats to say that this was done with concent and the two girls decide later to say it was rape. It has happened before.

Maybe, but there's no reason at all to assume an accusation is false before the facts come in. Far more sexual assaults go uninvestigated with no charges filed than are accused falsely. We as fans (and especially we as men) should never be in the habit of immediately doubting or discrediting the women in a situation like this, as that's part of the reason women are afraid to come forward when they are assaulted.

AJ has shown strong character to this point so I'm just hoping there's misindentification or something.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 06:25:33 EST by Clockwork Orange » Logged

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Model 12
Walk-On

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2014, 06:23:16 EST »

Be calm and withhold judgement everyone.

Nilo Silvan

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2014, 06:29:54 EST »

Johnny, not pointing a finger at you specifically, but having a daughter I find it convenient to go there without having something concrete to use as a reason for doing so.  That's not to say that it hasn't happened - obviously it has - but to automatically blame the girl(s) here is looking through orange colored glasses, in my opinion. 

If this were a Bama or Florida or LSU or you name the rival player I don't think the same fingers would be pointing at the girl(s) involved. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Screaming Eagle Dad
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2014, 06:49:14 EST »

Johnny, not pointing a finger at you specifically, but having a daughter I find it convenient to go there without having something concrete to use as a reason for doing so.  That's not to say that it hasn't happened - obviously it has - but to automatically blame the girl(s) here is looking through orange colored glasses, in my opinion. 

If this were a Bama or Florida or LSU or you name the rival player I don't think the same fingers would be pointing at the girl(s) involved. 

I can see how it came across as blaming the girls, but I really wasn't. If it were my daughter, and I have one too, I'd be pissed.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2014, 08:36:18 EST »

Anyone can make an accusation. Undoubtedly something unfortunate occurred, but whether it was criminal or not remains to be seen. I'll see what, if any, facts are established. Alcohol + hormones + lack of sleep yield fairly consistent results.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2014, 10:17:38 EST »

Suspended indefinitely, BTW. Some saying they don't expect him to play another down at UT.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2014, 10:23:27 EST »

Suspended indefinitely, BTW. Some saying they don't expect him to play another down at UT.

So bizarre.  Guy has never been in trouble once here at UT, has he?  He's never struck me as that type of dude.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2014, 10:24:53 EST »

So bizarre.  Guy has never been in trouble once here at UT, has he?  He's never struck me as that type of dude.

The one loud party incident involved him, back in the summer. But that was nothing but college kid stuff. He never has struck me as anything but a good guy either, so this is pretty shocking.

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2014, 10:48:26 EST »

The one loud party incident involved him, back in the summer. But that was nothing but college kid stuff. He never has struck me as anything but a good guy either, so this is pretty shocking.

Actually, Johnson was charged in that incident with resisting arrest, pending his staying out of further trouble for, and I think if memory serves, for something like 90 days.  Since that was back in the winter that time period should have passed. 

That said, resiting arrest is a bit more than just "college kid stuff".

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2014, 11:21:02 EST »

Actually, Johnson was charged in that incident with resisting arrest, pending his staying out of further trouble for, and I think if memory serves, for something like 90 days.  Since that was back in the winter that time period should have passed. 

That said, resiting arrest is a bit more than just "college kid stuff".

And my recollection is that this was a farcical charge. Still college kid stuff imo.

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2014, 11:33:29 EST »

And my recollection is that this was a farcical charge. Still college kid stuff imo.

Farcical charge? 

Your recollection is a bit fuzzy, CO. 

The charge stuck.  It was pleaded out based on a first offense, not dropped. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2014, 11:40:25 EST »

Farcical charge? 

Your recollection is a bit fuzzy, CO. 

The charge stuck.  It was pleaded out based on a first offense, not dropped. 

Just because it was pleaded out doesn't mean the charge was reasonable. It's often easier not to fight it.

But I've slept a lot since then and see no need to push it. It has no bearing onthe current case.

Creek Walker
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2014, 01:35:48 EST »

Boys, boys...KPD would never file a farcical charge against a UT athlete. C'mon now...
BGHarper
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2014, 02:19:40 EST »

An investigation??? Well, obviously the Tallahassee Police Department is not involved. If an athlete's actions are in question, they don't believe those are necessary.

BG
GreggO
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2014, 03:10:10 EST »

An investigation??? Well, obviously the Tallahassee Police Department is not involved. If an athlete's actions are in question, they don't believe those are necessary.

BG

Oh, my. This situation is disappointing a lot of us. But, that right there is funny!

G
Memphisvolunteer
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2014, 03:27:35 EST »

I just can't belive it.  Like everyone has said, AJ has never been in trouble except for the party incident.  I don't understand college athletes these days.  First of all, you get everything you want and you get your college education for free but I guess what I don't understand is that most of these guys that are doing crap like this these days don't have to.  I mean they are famous football guys...they could have their pick of about 100 ladies but I guess there is the problem....they think they are above everyone else.  I just will never get it with that kind of stuff.  If someone says no, then it means no.  It sucks for everyone involved...the ladies, the fans who have been through alot in the past 5 years, and it sucks for AJ although he put him in this situation, but the week of his "senior week" at Neyland Stadium.
Creek Walker
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2014, 08:19:52 EST »

This KNS story doesn't really include any new details but it mentions the outcome of Johnson's prior charges, which has been discussed on this thread.

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/local-news/kpd-releasing-incident-into-alleged-rape-sexual-assaul-involving-ut-players_90386821
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2014, 10:52:23 EST »

Man, it's a big loss.  I think the D can function physically without him pretty well, we have some folks who can step in, but his leadership is tough to replace, and this obviously will cast a pall over the team.  I think Butch will be able to solve the morale problem though, there is time to get the team fired up by Saturday. 

AJ is a fantastic run stopper and Randolph is also and is out the first half.  Look for Mizzou to try and pound the ball early in the game.  They do have a really good back in Hansborough, so this is worrying.

In the meantime, I sincerely hope AJ didn't do it.  I am certain alcohol was involved and that's always a bad scene.  Looks like he is done for the year though, but even if not guilty in the legal sense he likely did not exercise good judgment in this case. 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: