VTTW Board Index
May 14, 2024, 03:05:22 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone noticed a big shift in some media members over the last couple of years?.  (Read 1423 times)
Hollerboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: June 11, 2012, 04:58:41 EDT »

Something I noticed about 2 years ago and just wondered if anyone else noticed.  Back when Fulmer was here...there were certain media guys who were always negative and sort of acted like they had it in for the Vols. David Climer, Gilbert in Chattanooga, John Adams....were always looking at the negative story or never had much positive to say.  Hyams, Mike Strange, Chris Lowe, and some others ...all seemed to be on the "inside", usually had reliable scoops, and were more positive about the program than negative.  After Fulmer was fired, it seems to me things reversed dramatically.  David Climer became the voice or reason and hope about the program, Gilbert and Adams were writing positive stuff.  Hyams on the other hand seemed to turn sour...seems wrong most of the time with his predictions...totally different than he was when he was an insider.  Chris Lowe seems very negative about the program but doesn't seem to be connected very well anymore.  Hubbs is the only one I can see who seems to have been consistent....maybe not right all the time but seems like he hasn't really changed.  The biggest two whom I have noticed switching are Hyams and Climer. Anybody else noticed the change?  I may just be crazy but that is beside the point.

101stDad
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 06:39:35 EDT »

They have all had to adjust and have had to actually start working for their stories.  Dooley and his staff haven't buddied up with selected media members like Fulmer and his staff did.  Many in the sports media who cover UT were to the point during the Fulmer days that all they had to do was sit and wait for their phones to ring and emails to start flowing in and they had their stories.  It's not that way with Dooley and this staff, and some in the local sports media aren't handling it very well. 

I don't know whether Dooley is going to make it or not - this season will tell the tale - but he has taken some positive steps with the program in eliminating the good ole boy buddy system that has existed for way too long. 

And that is solely my opinion.  I'm sure there are some formerly good ole buddies that would disagree. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: