VTTW Board Index
May 15, 2024, 08:28:31 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I see where the WNBA may be done after 2014 season.  (Read 2951 times)
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: December 31, 2013, 06:28:06 EST »

Most of the teams are losing money and the NBA subsidizes them. When NBA commissioner Stern retires next year the WNBA money could be gone. What a loss...not. I have never watched a WNBA game. Am i a bad person?

volsboyinsodak
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 06:34:59 EST »

The reality is that the WNBA has been around long enough that if it isn't paying for itself it doesn't need to be operating.  It's no different from any other business.  The NBA actually extended its financial commitment to the WNBA much longer than they intended. 

It's time to fish or cut bait.  If the fans want to see the WNBA continue they need to pay for it. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Creek Walker
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 06:38:09 EST »

It's simple economics but I do hate it for the women who aspire to take their game to the next level and make a career out of basketball. Of course what it boils down to is whether those of us who would like to see the ladies have some of those same opportunities as the men want it bad enough to shell out money for tickets, merchandise, etc. As for me, I guess I don't.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 07:17:29 EST »

It's simple economics but I do hate it for the women who aspire to take their game to the next level and make a career out of basketball. Of course what it boils down to is whether those of us who would like to see the ladies have some of those same opportunities as the men want it bad enough to shell out money for tickets, merchandise, etc. As for me, I guess I don't.

Yep.  And let me make myself clear - my opinion has nothing to do with the fact that the WNBA is obviously a women's league.  I am an equal opportunity avoider (if that is a word?) - I don't watch the NBA, either.  Just not interested in professional basketball. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 07:44:52 EST »

I like the women's college game but don't care for the WNBA just as don't care anything about the NBA. And if the WNBA isn't economically feasible, then it shouldn't continue.

I do agree with Creek that it's too bad it won't be there for women who want to continue playing after college. But I guess they can go abroad. And yes, the pun was intended. Forgive me. 
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 07:51:11 EST »

Can't believe the WNBA has lasted this long.   
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 07:58:23 EST »

Can't believe the WNBA has lasted this long.  

I agree with you......So many parts of the country could care less about women's BB it's amazing it has lasted this long.

To be honest I haven't watched a total of 10 minutes of the WNBA but I have nothing against it. I haven't watch a total of 3 hours of the NBA in the last 30 years either....and 2 hours and 40 minutes of that was watching Memphis in the playoffs last season.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 08:10:32 EST by Tnphil » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: