VTTW Board Index
May 26, 2024, 09:00:00 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Carolina BBQ  (Read 3000 times)
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: June 22, 2012, 11:10:02 EDT »

I have been a resident of North Carolina for a grand total of 5 months and have yet to find really good BBQ. The state is a fine place, but the dead pig I've sampled thus far has not even equaled Buddy's. Judge's in Hickory is o.k., as is Lancaster's in Mooresville, but the Charlotte area has yet to produce something good.

I don't expect Jack's, Glco's (an old Eagleton place) or the Douglas Amoco (now a BP) near Springfield, to say nothing of Memphis' fine establishments. However, I would like a place good enough to which I'd like to return.

Has anyone sampled really good stuff here?

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
10EC
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 11:14:05 EDT »

I have been a resident of North Carolina for a grand total of 5 months and have yet to find really good BBQ. The state is a fine place, but the dead pig I've sampled thus far has not even equaled Buddy's. Judge's in Hickory is o.k., as is Lancaster's in Mooresville, but the Charlotte area has yet to produce something good.

I don't expect Jack's, Glco's (an old Eagleton place) or the Douglas Amoco (now a BP) near Springfield, to say nothing of Memphis' fine establishments. However, I would like a place good enough to which I'd like to return.

Was the Glco's across from the Shoneys on Alcoa highway?  I remember that fondly from my early childhood.
Quasi EVol
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 11:23:50 EDT »

Red Hot & Blue serves Memphis-style BBQ in Raleigh (ate there several times) & in Winston-Salem.  It was a welcome break from the rancid-smelling-vinegar-soaked North Carolina BBQ which isn't worth eating for free.
VOLveeta
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 11:48:22 EDT »

If you are ever in Western NC, come to Hubba Hubba BBQ in Flat Rock. It's fantastic and has a variety of BBQ options... vinegar, mustard and standard tomato base.

yer palâ„¢,
VOLveeta
EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 07:16:46 EDT »

Learn to make your own....I use that as a solution

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 10:39:12 EDT »

Thanks a ton for the advice - Emeril excepted.  I have no culinary skills. That's why I seek out those do. Saturday I went to Boss Hog's in metro Terrell and it was decent. As a side note their hushpuppies were sticks. I had never seen that before.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 05:49:56 EDT »

Thanks a ton for the advice - Emeril excepted.  I have no culinary skills. That's why I seek out those do. Saturday I went to Boss Hog's in metro Terrell and it was decent. As a side note their hushpuppies were sticks. I had never seen that before.

Seriously I can send you a foolproof recipe that will make the best Q you ever had.  The smoker i use is an electric smoker that is called a bullet....It cost me like 80 at Home Depot (or Lowes) and is almost foolproof in simplicity.  Just send me a PM and I will hook you up with recipe and the ability to make your own Q (it is so simple a lawyer could do it)

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: