VTTW Board Index
May 15, 2024, 02:59:10 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Riddle me this  (Read 3745 times)
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: October 16, 2016, 05:13:48 EDT »

Both Appy State and bamer both executed mis direction and we did little to stop it.  VTech tried similar but after about a quarter, and with our starters in the game, we adjusted.
However, I. Two games we couldn't.

Yesterday they would line up strong to one side.  That would put Gaulden over the slot and both LBs would slant to that side (one over the TE and one in the middle, we didn't swap Mike and Will).  When they motioned the fly sweep guy usually there was zero adjustment by the defense at all three levels. Or when the QB went that way there was nobody home.  DB9 adjusted in the 2nd half and would force the run inside but there was nobody at the next two levels to make the tackle.  On the other side the DEs seemingly oblivious to the tactic though Vereen did get some effective penitration a couple of times.  The only times we were effective on defense was when Kiffin called a lot of pass plays (2 consecutive series where we harassed the crap out of Hurts, forced bad throws and the sack fumble).

IMO we were out schemed and had no answers.
The only times we stopped them IMO were was their inexplicable play calling

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
SmokeyJoe
Re:
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2016, 05:19:38 EDT »

I cannot answer. I was hoping for something "schematically innovative" on D. I read elsewhere a 5-2-4 defense may have worked better. Why not stand Darrell Taylor up? As part of the 5, or whomever. That said we were in it at 14-7 & 21-7 for that matter. I'm assuming the wheels simply came off. Hopefully we aren't that bad.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2016, 08:53:25 EDT »

It's a combination of a lot of things.  Primarily I don't think they had anything left in the tank.  Hopefully they can recharge over the bye week and relatively light schedule after the SC game.  The massive amounts of injuries has made the problem worse, obviously.  And yep, we got outschemed bigtime.  It was as if Bama had 4 weeks to prepare for us.  We got beat so bad, it was like we were a bad FCS team. 

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2016, 08:55:44 EDT »

What is Bama and Nick freaking Saban noted for???!!! Answer....running it up your a$$hole. And we are in a 4-2-5 defense....playing 5 DBs against a QB that only completes 50% of his passes???!!!!....Thus giving up well over 400 yards rushing to Bama. If YOU DO NOT STOP the run in the SEC you will not beat the big boys in this league nor will you ever be one of the big boys. If you have to put 7 in the box to stop the run you put 7 there....If it takes 8 put 8....if it takes 11 within 6 yards of the LOS you put 11 there.

UT Defense:

105th in total defense!
115th against the run!

Downright pitiful..
SmokeyJoe
Re:
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2016, 09:06:07 EDT »

Is it Shoop or did Butch go full Fulmer? And override?

SmokeyJoe
Re:
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2016, 09:08:47 EDT »

But the offense was horrific. I agree with Coupe they were tanked as in the whole team. Hopefully they come out of the bye in much better shape #'s wise. Obviously the depth as required is not there.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2016, 09:19:07 EDT »

I still can't believe all the injuries.  Yeah, but I too thought maybe changing from the nickel + 2 LBs might be a good move at some point.  Problem is, they would then go after the LB or DE that was forced to cover.  That might not have worked either, given how thin we are at LB.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2016, 11:25:08 EDT »

What is Bama and Nick freaking Saban noted for???!!! Answer....running it up your a$$hole. And we are in a 4-2-5 defense....playing 5 DBs against a QB that only completes 50% of his passes???!!!!....Thus giving up well over 400 yards rushing to Bama. If YOU DO NOT STOP the run in the SEC you will not beat the big boys in this league nor will you ever be one of the big boys. If you have to put 7 in the box to stop the run you put 7 there....If it takes 8 put 8....if it takes 11 within 6 yards of the LOS you put 11 there.

UT Defense:

105th in total defense!
115th against the run!

Downright pitiful..
I believe the reason we were in a 4-2-5 is that 1) we have no LBs left to play a 4-3-4 (we were playing our 4/5 stringers at Will) and 2) we mostly played Gaulden as a Sam, especially in the 2nd half. 

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2016, 11:28:10 EDT »

I believe the reason we were in a 4-2-5 is that 1) we have no LBs left to play a 4-3-4 (we were playing our 4/5 stringers at Will) and 2) we mostly played Gaulden as a Sam, especially in the 2nd half. 

You can add a man up front to a 5-2-4......When you are thin at linebacker you give them help in front...not behind.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2016, 05:48:06 EDT »

You can add a man up front to a 5-2-4......When you are thin at linebacker you give them help in front...not behind.

Makes sense...although our DL is now greatly reduced also.   

Still..there seem to be plenty of DEs, and I would imagine if you are shoring up LBs, another DE is the way to go.  That may have stopped some of the wide runs, but I shudder at the thought of Jumper in coverage.  Elliot Berry may be a decent cover LB though.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: