VTTW Board Index
May 11, 2024, 11:49:32 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My thoughts on this team and coaching staff.......  (Read 869 times)
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: October 17, 2021, 02:28:11 EDT »

Before the season began, I told folks that I would be disappointed if the Vols didn't win five games this season.  I thought that anything over that was a step in the right direction. I thought that six wins would be a good year and anything above that would be just icing on the cake. 

I also felt that we needed to see improvement each week, regardless of whether we won or lost.  Players needed to show that they were being coached and that they were accepting that coaching.

I still feel that, with all of the off-season attrition and with the state of the program when CJH and staff moved in, that those W/L numbers hold true - at least for me.  We should now have a six win season.  I'm encouraged by that, especially considering that we could, with just a few breaks, be sitting on a 6-1 record right now.

As for improvement, I think that we are definitely seeing that in most of the athletes on this team.  I offer Davis at right tackle last night as an example.  When he entered the game in Cade's place last night he was abysmal.  Before the game was over he was performing much better and was much more effective.  In my view, the coaches are teaching and the players are buying in and improving.

It hasn't been perfect and it never will be.  It has been better, however, in my opinion.

We can't win the SEC until we can first win the SECE.  We cannot win the SECE until we can first move out of the lower tier of the division.  Our first order of business is to get back to being #2 or #3 in the SECE.  I think the program is headed in that direction and I'm currently excited about what the future could hold for this program under CJH and staff.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2021, 03:55:52 EDT »

Before the season began, I told folks that I would be disappointed if the Vols didn't win five games this season.  I thought that anything over that was a step in the right direction. I thought that six wins would be a good year and anything above that would be just icing on the cake. 

I also felt that we needed to see improvement each week, regardless of whether we won or lost.  Players needed to show that they were being coached and that they were accepting that coaching.

I still feel that, with all of the off-season attrition and with the state of the program when CJH and staff moved in, that those W/L numbers hold true - at least for me.  We should now have a six win season.  I'm encouraged by that, especially considering that we could, with just a few breaks, be sitting on a 6-1 record right now.

As for improvement, I think that we are definitely seeing that in most of the athletes on this team.  I offer Davis at right tackle last night as an example.  When he entered the game in Cade's place last night he was abysmal.  Before the game was over he was performing much better and was much more effective.  In my view, the coaches are teaching and the players are buying in and improving.

It hasn't been perfect and it never will be.  It has been better, however, in my opinion.

We can't win the SEC until we can first win the SECE.  We cannot win the SECE until we can first move out of the lower tier of the division.  Our first order of business is to get back to being #2 or #3 in the SECE.  I think the program is headed in that direction and I'm currently excited about what the future could hold for this program under CJH and staff.

Great thoughts, and similar to what I have been thinking. 

The main thing I am worried about now, is if Hooker is out for the season, it's possible we may struggle a bit against even USA and Vandy.  I think back to how we probably all felt a little optimism when Pruitt beat ranked Auburn (on the road) and Kentucky back to back, then fell apart against Mizzou and Vandy.   There are differences, I feel better about our wins over Mizzou and Junior than those two Pruitt wins, even accounting for the fact that those are likely the 2 of the 3 worst teams in the SEC.  The team just played with enormous confidence in those two games. At the end of the day, I think we will take care of USA and Vandy even with Milton at QB if that's how it plays out, but given how snake bit we have been, I worry about it.

In a way, maybe that will be the test of Heupel.  We are at that point in the season where we see the glimmer of hope. But can they finish this time, even battling the adversity with Milton out?  They should, but we will see.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2021, 04:10:56 EDT »

I agree!

However, we are fixing to go through a 3 game stretch where we will struggle to be competitive due to the thin roster and the piling up of injuries
I believe Hooker is done for the year (would absolutely love to be wrong but ...)
Cade's injury, if it is long lasting, could be just as damaging to the team
RB is very thin.  The only healthy RB is a walkon
We also need Taylor back at corner, though Martinez is developing the backend - the improvement from game 1 to last night is impressive, as is Garner's work on the DL.  We actually have serviceable LBs and IMO better than last year's set.
The OL has now had 3 significant injuries (one before the season, Cooper and now Cade) and were very thin to start with.
BTW, you could see why you need lots of reps to develop an OL last night.  The coordination between Davis and Spraggins just wasn't there, really highlighted in blitz pickups and run blocking handoffs.  That will improve with practice but we are going up against 3 of the best DLs in the SEC the next three weeks.

I believe the future is bright but there will be near term storms

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2021, 04:16:40 EDT »

Agreed x 2
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2021, 04:18:39 EDT »

I agree!

However, we are fixing to go through a 3 game stretch where we will struggle to be competitive due to the thin roster and the piling up of injuries
  We actually have serviceable LBs and IMO better than last year's set.

You are in the mathematical set of "1" in this opinion. 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2021, 07:43:55 EDT »

Well said JeffCo

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: