VTTW Board Index
May 10, 2024, 08:30:24 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can you remember a worse UT season for officiating?  (Read 807 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: October 22, 2023, 04:53:34 EDT »

The old saying is ?Don?t attribute to malice that which can be attributed to incompetence?. But damn, that?s getting harder and harder to do. The bad calls (and non calls) are only going in one direction, and it?s every single game. It?s really a miracle we?re 5-2 right now.

JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2023, 05:45:03 EDT »

Follow the money. The SEC office wants as many teams as possible in the CFP. With quite a few teams in other conferences undefeated, I think that they would love to have a 1-loss Bama and undefeated UGA in the SECC game. That may or may not happen, but I would bet that they see it as the best case scenario.

Addendum:I very rarely criticize officials. They have a tough job and make mistakes. What we saw yesterday, however, is tough to justify. Ironically, I think that the only penalty that they called on Bama was incorrect - I think it was just a bad snap.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2023, 05:48:45 EDT by JeffCountyVolFan » Logged
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2023, 06:15:02 EDT »

The calls were not that good the first half either so how did we get up 20-7 at the half? We got out played and out coached the second half bad...We went into a shell where our coaches decided to run it up the gut against one of the best fronts in the country and let Milton throw those 1 yard sideline passes.

If what I read this morning is true....In the Bama...Florida...A&M games we have scored 1 total TD after halftime?
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2023, 07:45:46 EDT »

The calls were not that good the first half either so how did we get up 20-7 at the half? We got out played and out coached the second half bad...We went into a shell where our coaches decided to run it up the gut against one of the best fronts in the country and let Milton throw those 1 yard sideline passes.

If what I read this morning is true....In the Bama...Florida...A&M games we have scored 1 total TD after halftime?
The 2nd FG was a direct result of a blatant hold on McCastles that wasn't called, that would have been a TD

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2023, 08:19:40 EDT »

Follow the money. The SEC office wants as many teams as possible in the CFP. With quite a few teams in other conferences undefeated, I think that they would love to have a 1-loss Bama and undefeated UGA in the SECC game. That may or may not happen, but I would bet that they see it as the best case scenario.

Addendum:I very rarely criticize officials. They have a tough job and make mistakes. What we saw yesterday, however, is tough to justify. Ironically, I think that the only penalty that they called on Bama was incorrect - I think it was just a bad snap.

That makes sense, but it?s happening in OOC games too. What does the SEC gain by screwing us over against Austin Peay? It?s almost like it?s personal.

JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2023, 09:27:00 EDT »

That makes sense, but it?s happening in OOC games too. What does the SEC gain by screwing us over against Austin Peay? It?s almost like it?s personal.
Officiating in the AP game was poor, but as I remember they used a patchwork crew of newbies in that crew.

I think that history would probably show that later in the season, as the top contenders become more identifiable, they will always tend to get the calls. Our Bama game last year is an example, I think, as both teams were in CFP contention and the calls were fairly even (if you discount the false start penalties on Bama).

The amount of money involved provides a lot of incentive for favoritism.

It would be interesting to become a constant contender so that we could check this theory.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2023, 11:33:18 EDT »

In both this game and the UF game we were in the red zone twice...maybe three times vs UF?...in the second half and went for it on 4th down every time and did not get it.

So there could have been 4-5 FGs...I guess.  Which isn't great, because we are not good at scoring TDs in the red zone this year after being one of the leaders last year.  Still, I think the circumstances contributed to the lack of points.

Vs. Tamu, they were not scoring either, if that helps.

It is concerning though, because Butch Jones had a huge weakness of never making good halftime adjustments. I hope Heupel is not going that same route. 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2023, 02:13:20 EDT »

I?m not typically one to complain about the refs either, but yesterday was incredible.  I mean, every close spot when we were on offense got reviewed and scrutinized (while Gary willed the call to go against us) yet when Alabama?s spot was close, they moved the chains no questions asked.   
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2023, 02:16:20 EDT »

I?m not typically one to complain about the refs either, but yesterday was incredible.  I mean, every close spot when we were on offense got reviewed and scrutinized (while Gary willed the call to go against us) yet when Alabama?s spot was close, they moved the chains no questions asked.   

I'm ready for robot officiating across all sports. They're already experimenting with it in minor league baseball, it will probably hit the big leagues sometime soon. Bring it to football, basketball, and hockey too.

JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2023, 02:32:18 EDT »

I'm ready for robot officiating across all sports. They're already experimenting with it in minor league baseball, it will probably hit the big leagues sometime soon. Bring it to football, basketball, and hockey too.
I would be completely in favor of taking the human aspect out of officiating, but I do not see any way that AI is going to be able to successfully identity many calls: for example, how would AI be able to see a hold in the interior of a line of scrimmage play. That said, if it could be done effectively I would be completely in favor of it. Maybe one of these days but likely not in my lifetime will I see AI replace all officials in any sport.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2023, 02:40:25 EDT »

I would be completely in favor of taking the human aspect out of officiating, but I do not see any way that AI is going to be able to successfully identity many calls: for example, how would AI be able to see a hold in the interior of a line of scrimmage play. That said, if it could be done effectively I would be completely in favor of it. Maybe one of these days but likely not in my lifetime will I see AI replace all officials in any sport.

Technology is amazing, and it wouldn?t surprise me if AI could do almost all of it.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2023, 02:42:07 EDT »

While it does seem like sci-fi right now, we have cameras in cities that can pick a face out of a crowd and identify the person from a mile away. I would have to think that it's not impossible to employ similar technology to call a football game. Of course the constant problem with AI will always be the same: who PROGRAMS the AI? If it's same Birmingham Good Ole Boy brigade, then we're right back where we started.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2023, 08:16:39 EDT »

While it does seem like sci-fi right now, we have cameras in cities that can pick a face out of a crowd and identify the person from a mile away. I would have to think that it's not impossible to employ similar technology to call a football game. Of course the constant problem with AI will always be the same: who PROGRAMS the AI? If it's same Birmingham Good Ole Boy brigade, then we're right back where we started.

You nailed it.  AI or any SW only as good (or honest) as those programming it.

And no, software will never be self-aware or conscious...only a handful of nerds that don't know what a woman is in Silicon Valley think that.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2023, 12:47:35 EDT »

I think a simple solution is take the refs off of the field and give them a 80" tv with 4K. Everyone else in the world sees the penalties, so being on the field has to be the problem 

11B4PJ3F7
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2023, 01:07:11 EDT »

You nailed it.  AI or any SW only as good (or honest) as those programming it.

And no, software will never be self-aware or conscious...only a handful of nerds that don't know what a woman is in Silicon Valley think that.   
You've figured out what a woman is?  Congrats. I'm 64 and have no idea.

Here's a great example: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1h12qBX4gMcAnR0fZhXLXgfYavYoXtBoH/view?usp=drivesdk

I really know what you meant but this seemed like a good place to add this video link. 😉
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2023, 06:36:32 EDT »

You've figured out what a woman is?  Congrats. I'm 64 and have no idea.

Here's a great example: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1h12qBX4gMcAnR0fZhXLXgfYavYoXtBoH/view?usp=drivesdk

I really know what you meant but this seemed like a good place to add this video link. 😉

Likely NSFW?  I'll check it later today

Interesting thing...I meant nerds who don't get women, but in today's woke culture, "not knowing a woman" has a whole other meaning.   

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2023, 06:44:05 EDT »

Likely NSFW?  I'll check it later today

Interesting thing...I meant nerds who don't get women, but in today's woke culture, "not knowing a woman" has a whole other meaning.   

It's safe, but I'd wait.
Also, it's accurate and funny!

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2023, 06:56:17 EDT »

It's safe, but I'd wait.
Also, it's accurate and funny!
My wife says that it is funny because it is so true. 😂
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: