VTTW Board Index
May 18, 2024, 05:20:48 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hmmmmm...  (Read 4724 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: January 30, 2012, 04:39:48 EST »

http://mrsec.com/2012/01/report-recruits-mom-alleges-bama-offers-sons-girlfriend-a-job/

Quasi EVol
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 06:14:17 EST »

As sure as night follows day, Bama cheats.  Oh, and your sig pic should get a HOF nomination! 
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 06:48:12 EST »

Bama will cheat, they can't help themselves.

Ridge Runner
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 07:32:15 EST »

Yeah, right. Bama is going to be stupid enough to so blatantly violate a rule that would be ridiculously easy to discover? A job in Saban's office? The Mom could have come up with a better story than that. I ain't going to hold my breath waiting for the death penalty on that. 
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 11:54:48 EST »

Yeah, right. Bama is going to be stupid enough to so blatantly violate a rule that would be ridiculously easy to discover? A job in Saban's office? The Mom could have come up with a better story than that. I ain't going to hold my breath waiting for the death penalty on that. 

Why is it so hard to believe?  This is the same school that continued to recruit Albert Means when everyone else in the country had long since backed off.  I know, that was a different coach and different administration.  But blatant, in-your-face cheating in ingrained in the culture down there.  NOTHING would surprise with that bunch. 

That said, I do believe this recruit's mother has credibility issues.  But when you combine this with free deep sea fishing trips on a booster's yacht, players sporting thousand dollar suits after they autographed paraphenailia on display in a shop window, Trent Richardson's Yukon, and everything else, do you really believe there's no fire behind all that smoke?

Ridge Runner
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 03:49:42 EST »

Why is it so hard to believe?  This is the same school that continued to recruit Albert Means when everyone else in the country had long since backed off.  I know, that was a different coach and different administration.  But blatant, in-your-face cheating in ingrained in the culture down there.  NOTHING would surprise with that bunch. 

That said, I do believe this recruit's mother has credibility issues.  But when you combine this with free deep sea fishing trips on a booster's yacht, players sporting thousand dollar suits after they autographed paraphenailia on display in a shop window, Trent Richardson's Yukon, and everything else, do you really believe there's no fire behind all that smoke?

I am only commenting on this one instance of the mother of the recruit accusing Bama of getting her a job. I don't doubt Bama is dirty in some ways, as are most programs in the country. But the operative phrase here is, and I'll capitalize for added emphasis, "JOB IN SABAN'S OFFICE." I imagine if they gave her a job there would be a significant paper trail to that, unless they pay her under the table. But seems to me that this would be a violation that would be pretty easy to discover. If the mother had said they had lined up a job for her somewhere, I might believe it, but not anything that was connected to the AD.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 03:13:38 EST »

awesome sig BDV. 
RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 05:07:00 EST »

awesome sig BDV. 

Matter of opinion!  HA!  BUT, I cannot open his posts at work as long as he has that sig -- I could get in BIG trouble!  :-)

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 06:54:02 EST »

Matter of opinion!  HA!  BUT, I cannot open his posts at work as long as he has that sig -- I could get in BIG trouble!  :-)

But why?  Does your work have some weird policy against fruits and vegetables? 

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 07:36:10 EST »

With a GIRLFRIEND?  If you are the NCAA how do you even notice there is a relationship, unless someone tells you.  The rule states that no FAMILY MEMBERS will get benefits.  It might not even be considered a violation.

Further, the mother could be right about the job and wrong about the location.

I have heard it widely discussed that the way around NCAA regulations is to put the money at some distance from the recruit.  So you offer a friend or more distant family member (a great uncle or even aunt, for instance) something and it eventually gets back to the student.

I find it very credible.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Ridge Runner
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2012, 11:18:25 EST »

With a GIRLFRIEND?  If you are the NCAA how do you even notice there is a relationship, unless someone tells you.  The rule states that no FAMILY MEMBERS will get benefits.  It might not even be considered a violation.

Further, the mother could be right about the job and wrong about the location.

I have heard it widely discussed that the way around NCAA regulations is to put the money at some distance from the recruit.  So you offer a friend or more distant family member (a great uncle or even aunt, for instance) something and it eventually gets back to the student.

I find it very credible.

The article BDV posted directly quoted the NCAA rule covering this. Cut and pasted from the article:

If the allegation is true, it would appear to violate a 2010 NCAA rule put in place to prevent “package deals” for prospects and recruits.  The rule states:

“During a two-year period before a prospective student-athlete’s anticipated enrollment and a two-year period after the student-athlete’s actual enrollment, an institution shall not employ an individual associated with the prospective student-athlete in any athletics department non-coaching staff position.”

IF that was an accurate depiction of the rule in the article, then it doesn't seem to be limited to family members. I agree that a girlfriend is kind of iffy, espcially considering teenagers, but if his deciding on Bama was in part based on his girlfriend going there, then it must be at least more than just a casual relationship. As for your assertion that,"....If you are the NCAA how do you even notice there is a relationship, unless someone tells you...", well she was in the YouTube video, so they shouldn't have much of a problem identifying her. 

And, you're right, it might not even be a violation. And, if that's the case, then what's all the hubbub about in the first place? If they're not breaking any rules, all's fair in love, war and recruiting, although it might be unethical and more than a little slimey. 

I just find it highly unlikely that Bama would have done something that could be relatively easily discovered. Of course, the penalties that would be associated with that violation might be considered secondary without much penalty, so they might consider it worth the risk.

The bottom line for me is this: Maybe it happened. But, I'm going to need a little more evidence than the word of a mother who wanted her son to go to another school.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2012, 09:12:20 EST »

[quote/]I just find it highly unlikely that Bama would have done something that could be relatively easily discovered.

Depends on the volume.  They have had several close calls already.  Finally, success breeds complacency.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: