VTTW Board Index
May 18, 2024, 01:58:26 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nauseous  (Read 4746 times)
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« on: January 08, 2013, 05:51:41 EST »

nm
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 06:07:20 EST »

Yep.  Of course, I would've also been nauseous had the outcome been reversed.

But I just don't get this SEC loyalty thing, especially when it comes to bammer.  You people who were rooting for them out of conference pride, do you think the SEC is going to send you a loyalty bonus check in the mail or something?  I just don't get it.

droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 06:10:50 EST »

But I just don't get this SEC loyalty thing, especially when it comes to bammer.  You people who were rooting for them out of conference pride, do you think the SEC is going to send you a loyalty bonus check in the mail or something?  I just don't get it.

Yea, I've never been a SEC fan against everyone else. What's in it for us? Just because another team in the SEC does well doesn't mean that will prove favorable for everyone else in the SEC.
Quasi EVol
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 06:24:12 EST »

If SEC teams lost their OOC games on a regular basis, we'd be called "CUSA."  At least winning in this conference means something.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 02:13:31 EST »

Me either. I root for what helps UT when I don't have an interest otherwise, and generally speaking Bammer being dominant is NOT good for UT.

I hated both of these teams and struggled with who to root for leading up to the game. As sad as it may be, once the ball was kicked off I found myself rooting for Bammer to plaster ND. But i most certainly do NOT root for Bammer under most circumstances.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

tnflower
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 02:26:14 EST »

Well, we do get a share of their booty from the game. 
VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 02:55:27 EST »

Ridge Runner
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 03:51:13 EST »

What's for you to get or not get? If someone decides they want to root for other teams from the conference out of a sense of conference pride, why do you feel the need to suggest they do otherwise?
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 03:58:09 EST »

What's for you to get or not get? If someone decides they want to root for other teams from the conference out of a sense of conference pride, why do you feel the need to suggest they do otherwise?

People can root for whoever they want to root for, but the oft-touted "it helps the SEC so it helps us" thing is way overblown. If it's a pride thing, I get it . . . we play in the toughest conference, yada, yada. But the idea that Bammer winning last night somehow helps UT is one I cannot understand.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Ridge Runner
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 04:06:05 EST »

People can root for whoever they want to root for, but the oft-touted "it helps the SEC so it helps us" thing is way overblown. If it's a pride thing, I get it . . . we play in the toughest conference, yada, yada. But the idea that Bammer winning last night somehow helps UT is one I cannot understand.

Well, it could help us, or any other school in the conference, in this scenario: UT is one of three undefeated teams or in a group of several one-loss teams vying for the second spot in the BCS title game (or a slot in the upcoming 4 team playoff system). You don't think the conference's dominance wouldn't tip the scales in favor of us or any other conference school in that scenario?
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 04:12:56 EST »

Well, it could help us, or any other school in the conference, in this scenario: UT is one of three undefeated teams or in a group of several one-loss teams vying for the second spot in the BCS title game (or a slot in the upcoming 4 team playoff system). You don't think the conference's dominance wouldn't tip the scales in favor of us or any other conference school in that scenario?

When compared to everything else that goes into that happening, no. Alabama's success means at least two things that make your scenario happening more difficult:

* Alabama's success means that Alabama . . . a team UT must beat to make your scenario happen . . . is very strong. This is not good for UT's chances.

* Alabama's success means continued recruiting dominance for Alabama while UT must recruit the entire southeast for its players. This is not good for UT's chances.

I'd say these two negatives outweigh the potential positive you mention. In addition, the SEC had won two of the first six BCS titles when Auburn was left out in 2004 . . . that's not exactly dominance but it was the only conference at that time to have won more than one and it didn't help AU get in.

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2013, 04:41:50 EST »

That scenario happening is hopefully not too far away, but in terms of anything else - recruiting, head to head, Bama winning does not help us. They directly compete against us in recruiting, and right now they can cherry pick guys, even from our state.

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2013, 04:51:19 EST »

That scenario happening is hopefully not too far away, but in terms of anything else - recruiting, head to head, Bama winning does not help us. They directly compete against us in recruiting, and right now they can cherry pick guys, even from our state.

Yep- see Barrett Jones, who's from Memphis, and may go down as the greatest OL in the history of the SEC.  It's sickening, and I'll be damned if I'm going to standby and cheer for bammer and others to continually rape us on signing day.  And make no mistake- you actively pull for bammer in games like this, that's exactly what you're doing.

WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2013, 04:53:11 EST »

Tennessee is not going to edge Alabama out in recruiting right now. It doesn't mean Tennessee can't get kick ass recruiting classes,however

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: