VTTW Board Index
May 20, 2024, 11:26:07 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LBs MIA on that drive  (Read 2239 times)
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: November 03, 2013, 02:31:27 EST »

Untouched it looked

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 05:34:40 EST »

Every drive, our LB play this year may be as bad as I have ever seen from a Tennessee team, and I go back a ways.  A.J. would have been an outstanding middle linebacker in the 60's/70's when size and toughness were the necessities.  But size, toughness, speed, quickness, and coverage skills are now the LB necessities, and he does not have that complete tool set.

My pronouns are:  I, Me, My, and Mine
ChattanoogaVol
All-SEC

Time is best spent with family and friends.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 10:39:10 EST »

I think A.J. is the player I am most disappointed in after watching the game.  Made some tackles, but they all seemed to be 10 yards down the field.  I also do not like how they keep putting him over a 3rd receiver that he has no CHANCE IN HELL OF COVERING AT ALL... it just takes him off the line and out of running plays.  Sapp also missed a ton of shots at the LOS.
Anyone else notice these tendencies on our defensive formations??
A.J. is a classic 4-3 middle linebacker BATTERING RAM, WE DON'T SEEM TO BE USING HIM WHERE HE IS SO GOOD AT PLAYING.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 10:43:38 EST by ChattanoogaVol » Logged

Go Big Orange.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 11:15:17 EST »

I think A.J. is the player I am most disappointed in after watching the game.  Made some tackles, but they all seemed to be 10 yards down the field.  I also do not like how they keep putting him over a 3rd receiver that he has no CHANCE IN HELL OF COVERING AT ALL... it just takes him off the line and out of running plays.  Sapp also missed a ton of shots at the LOS.
Anyone else notice these tendencies on our defensive formations??
A.J. is a classic 4-3 middle linebacker BATTERING RAM, WE DON'T SEEM TO BE USING HIM WHERE HE IS SO GOOD AT PLAYING.

we essentially had him playing Will and Sapp Mike Saturday night.' Weird 

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Volcreed
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 12:40:11 EST »

Every NFL mock draft I have seen as  A.J. as a 2nd rounder or better, and A.J. is the least of the linebacker problems. OLB play forcing A.J. to play a MLB and 1/2 OLB might be another issue. Brewer and Sapp are both playing out of position and we see the effect of Peters going to Arkie and the Curt's injury.

09/23/2013 - Despite sloppy play, easy to see NFL talent in SEC showdown...LB A.J. Johnson, Tennessee - A player who is consistently around the ball, Johnson led the SEC in tackles a year ago and is on pace to be one of the conference leaders again in 2013. He finished the Florida/Tennessee match-up with 10 tackles, his 14th career double-digit tackle performance at the college level. Johnson has only average range and isn't a special athlete, but he plays hard and fast on every snap, impressing with his high-effort mentality. He has strong hands and is a violent tackler who looks to strike through his target and leave his mark, something that was obvious on several occasions in this contest. While he isn't that elite-type of prospect, he is a physical, hard-nosed linebacker who leaves it all on the field. - Dane Brugler, NFLDraftScout.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: