VTTW Board Index
May 11, 2024, 07:48:40 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Someone know the real reason UAB shut it down?  (Read 4882 times)
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« on: December 03, 2014, 05:19:23 EST »

Don't tell me it's numbers. It has to be more than that. Personally I think it sucks

droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 06:34:03 EST »

I expect it's several things. Money, personalities, UA not wanting UAB to be successful. Basilio (and a few Bama fans) think it started here: http://www.nytimes.com/1993/08/05/sports/sports-people-basketball-bartow-accused-alabama-in-1991-letter.html
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 07:01:58 EST »

**Please delete this post is it's deemed too political.

Since most programs aren't self-funding, I can see how a case could be made to off athletics at most institutions, particularly taxpayer-funded ones.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 07:29:26 EST »

UA not wanting UAB to be successful. [/url]

This I can believe

droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 08:21:41 EST »

Since most programs aren't self-funding, I can see how a case could be made to off athletics at most institutions, particularly taxpayer-funded ones.

The ones that are going to have trouble are going to be the FCS schools. With the emphasis on beefing up the schedules in the FBS, I expect that FCS schools are going to suffer. Many of those schools make a significant portion of their football budgets by playing just one FBS school each season.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 08:24:24 EST »

I think this is a very good point, and I've often wondered why so many athletics programs still exist when they lose money every year. I wonder if there's an effect on enrollment that the school considers. Athletics are a big part of student life, and without them a smaller state school might see a decline in enrollment. I wonder if keeping the programs is actually less costly than cutting them.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014, 08:26:28 EST »

Mostly political.....UAT didn't want them to successful. They nixed improvements to Legions Field.....they nixed UAB wanting a onsite stadium...they nixed the hiring of Jim Bo Fisher at UAB a few years back. Big brother syndrome.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2014, 08:33:54 EST »

I think this is a very good point, and I've often wondered why so many athletics programs still exist when they lose money every year. I wonder if there's an effect on enrollment that the school considers. Athletics are a big part of student life, and without them a smaller state school might see a decline in enrollment. I wonder if keeping the programs is actually less costly than cutting them.

Or, to add to this, there's enough of a positive effect on the local and state economy that it offsets being in the red in terms of direct revenue.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014, 10:12:06 EST »

There is definitely an effect on enrollment at bammer.  Bammer is up to 34K and climbing...in fact I think it might be 36K this fall.  Only 22% of the students are in state.  When I asked a bammer alumnus, he said he supposed that out of state students are attracted by the success of the football program.

That is not something that I even considered when going to college, but if you just want to go and party and have a good time, I guess it's a factor.  It sure as heck doesn't help academics, at least not directly.  Although I have heard that name recognition matters when getting a job.  Bammer is already pretty well known nationally though....I seriously doubt employers hire because your alma mater won the MNC.  Well, at least not OUTSIDE of bammer....

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2014, 12:48:50 EST »

I think UAB was looking down the road when college players were going to start getting more money to play. UAB is not in a big enough conference to get TV money and unless the NCAA or Alabama started supplementing the program, it was a lost cause. IMO, they are only the first program to call it quits and not the last is costs continue to soar. UAB just does not make enough for the sports arms race (indoor facility, training facility, practice field, on-campus stadium, etc.). That and the trustees doing everything to keep success down.
Memphisvolunteer
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2014, 03:44:17 EST »

This is why I have always said that paying college players is going to make these little schools shut down because they are barely making it the way it is.  When you start paying players, then you start having programs that have to shut down.  Also, if you pay football players, something tells me you are going to have to pay more athletes because of title IX issues.  It is ok for the Power 5 conferences because they have the TV money that will help, but don't expect UAB to be the last college program to shut down football. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: