VTTW Board Index
May 12, 2024, 01:46:55 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Will Friend needs to be FIRED (& other offensive observations)  (Read 2931 times)
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: September 01, 2019, 09:57:12 EDT »

Who in their fizzleing mind would take a true FR who had practiced primarily at LT and place him at LG, and expect him to play well)?!?
Who in their fizzleing mind would continue to play OL roulette with the game in the balance?!?  The largest lead we had was 7 and played the vast majority of the 2nd half behind!
Watching live (on TV) I thought Jahmir played the best of the OL.  Smith, after he got his  feet under him played OK.  The two FR 5* showed flashes and deserve more development, that IMO, Will Friend can't provide. Bottom line is Chaney has worked with the tackles while Friend worked with the interior (when the press was present) and the results showed their relative abilities to teach.

JG was making protection calls (much more than last year) but at least once the OL didn't respond (IMO) correctly

JG had a bad game.  He made several poor decisions.  How much of that was the result of poor line play or RBs failing to pick up blitzes (FAILED far more than they were successful) I don't know
A lot has been made of his decision to slide early on a play but a) he doesn't have a nice yellow line to play to, b) we don't have 300 pound people trying to take our head off and c) he has been taught to slide (wouldn't be talking about it if he had just pushed North instead of (slow) dancing to the West on the next play)

WR:  After JJ, next slide
JJ played his most complete and consistent game.  Clearly he is as healthy as he has been in two years
Callaway played OK, but far more is expected of a SR WR with his skills
DW-A showed flashes but is still way too inconsistent, disappears all too often

Gray can (will) be very good.   He has skills you can't teach but he needs to learn how to play RB at the college level.
Chandler was disappointing.  Showed flashes but inconsistent and wasn't used much in the 2nd half, why?

Some mind numbing play calling
What the fizzle was going on in the 2 minute waltz at the end of the half?
We played a LOT of empty backfield yesterday.  One time we were in a tight left bunch formation and optioned the RB outside the bunch - interesting formation, didn't do a damn thing with it.
We also played a lot of what used to be called the West cost offense.  Which I think is Chaney's acknowledgement that his OL sucked going into the game.
Very little miss direction type plays including one neat little fly sweep inside handoff (moderately successful)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 10:13:57 EDT by PirateVOL » Logged

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2019, 12:31:34 EDT »

The end of the first half was when it really sank in to me..."they really have no clue what they're doing"
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2019, 01:24:34 EDT »

The OL perturbs me the most. It was the talk of the offseason. Fans don't know how to fix it, but they knew as long as it was broken it's the biggest impediment to success.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
wtkvol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2019, 02:45:41 EDT »

Friend has nothing to work with but Freshman. And the only hope to change that is the freshman getting older. However the game yesterday was lost because of a lack of effort.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2019, 02:50:43 EDT »

Friend has nothing to work with but Freshman. And the only hope to change that is the freshman getting older. However the game yesterday was lost because of a lack of effort.

Severe lack of development of the OL he has now had for 2+ years

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

wtkvol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2019, 03:01:48 EDT »

Severe lack of development of the OL he has now had for 2+ years

I  Don’t think yesterday was about development It was about effort. And these coaches did not get these players to play.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2019, 03:05:23 EDT »

I  Don’t think yesterday was about development It was about effort. And these coaches did not get these players to play.
Oh, the whifs, the alignment errors, the technique issues, it is about development
yes they weren't ready to play but if they were we would still have struggled on the OL

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2019, 07:39:24 EDT »

Friend is Pruitt's good friend and buddy and he'll most likely be there as long as Pruitt.....It might be Pruitt's downfall at UT in the end.

The defense is Pruitt's baby and we couldn't get lined up correctly several times yesterday. Pruitt at UGA...FL State and Bama had elite players...I'm beginning to think without elite players Pruitt is as lost as the defense was.
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2019, 07:52:03 EDT »

Friend is Pruitt's good friend and buddy and he'll most likely be there as long as Pruitt.....It might be Pruitt's downfall at UT in the end.

The defense is Pruitt's baby and we couldn't get lined up correctly several times yesterday. Pruitt at UGA...FL State and Bama had elite players...I'm beginning to think without elite players Pruitt is as lost as the defense was.

On a similar note Pruitt has no experience rallying the troops so to speak. In completely uncharted territory.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2019, 08:11:22 EDT »

Hell, we couldn't even get personnel on and off the field - directly cost us a TD at one point

Difficult to determine on TV but it seemed at times that the back end and front end were not on the same page a couple of times.

And, yes, I know that Friend is Pruitt's best friend. etc but in the end Fulmer's loyalty to his assistants ultimately doomed him (not to mention the real disciplinarian on offense left for the 2nd time)

« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 08:14:28 EDT by PirateVOL » Logged

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2019, 08:34:07 EDT »

How about this formation?
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EDZbB3BXYAMkGey?format=jpg&name=medium

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2019, 10:47:28 EDT »

How about this, Pirate?

https://twitter.com/VolRumorMill/status/1168230199449853952?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1168230199449853952&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs9e.github.io%2Fiframe%2F2%2Ftwitter.min.html%231168230199449853952
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2019, 10:53:42 EDT »

For sure Phil, some really weird shizzle going on yesterday

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2019, 07:43:33 EDT »

Wow, I haven't finished watching the replay (was at Frozen Head State park Saturday with little to no data reception), but....those.look.bad.....

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: